Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

I've lost my mind (again)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

I've lost my mind (again)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 09:28 PM
KaosDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've lost my mind (again)

I wanted a fun-flyer and settled on the Tower Uproar. I nearly bought the ARF version for $89.00 but decided to "save money" and buy the kit for $39.00 12 hours later it's ready to cover. 2 rolls of Monokote @$14.00 per roll. A bottle of CA @$7.00. Wheels, fuel tank, engine mount. It'll probably take me around 4 hours to cover. Equates to 16 hours total assembly time. At a fair $15.00/hr. labor rate this equates to $240 in labor alone. Approx. $290.00 all together, for an Uproar. Even if it took me four hours to assemble the ARF, I'd be @$140 ahead with a straighter-built, prettier machine. With 3 or 4 days flying under my belt. The sad thing is I don't like to build like I used to and I've done this before! Please tell me I'm not the only one who has. My next purchase is a Sporstsman Aviation Corby Starlet. Please don't try to talk any "sense" (cents?) into my head. Thanks for letting me vent......Mark
Old 07-05-2005, 01:07 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: I've lost my mind (again)

Yeah, I pretty much gave up building because usually the kit plus the covering alone comes pretty close $wise to the ARF version. And usually the ARF will come with a better painted cowl than I could ever hope to do. For example the GB ultimate kit vs the ARF. I built it the first time the second time they built it and theirs looks so much better... Materials alone kill the kit not to mention the $$ per hour of building.. I would say my kit building days are over.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:01 AM
KaosDriver

Thanks cam, me too. I do have a couple of plans whereby there is no kit available, but those will wait for winter. Glad I'm not alone. Thanks, Mark
Old 07-05-2005, 09:59 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The object of building a kit is neither to save time OR money.

It's a hobby, remember?

Let's see... If a guy had 3 hours to kill, 5 nights a week, and he spent it in a bar....

Think about how much THAT would cost!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:08 AM
GJAUBIN
My Feedback: (9)

I'm with Minn on this one. It's nice to go down in the dungeon and build just to get away. Plus up here in NH the winters tend to feel pretty long. This helps me get through these long cold winters.

With that being said, you are right that mine don't come out as pretty, but with my dumb thumbs they don't stay pretty long anyway.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

With the prices of ARFs these days, you can NOT look at an "hourly rate" of what you would get paid to build it. It is not cheaper usually to build a kit. Its more FUN to build a kit.
Also, ya gotta figure those laborers in PRC etc are NOT getting $15 dollars an hour. Maybe $15 a day?
I fly both ARF and kits and sure have more pride in my kit built planes than any of the ARF's.
Its also nice to show up at the field knowing that your planes wont look like anyone else's planes.
Like MinnFlyer stated, its a hobby. While I hate to cover, I LOVE to build. I am getting better (slowly) at covering em also.
I have a kit built Uproar and its one of my funner planes to fly.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah if you love to build by all means build!! Believe me I admire a kit built plane much more than and ARF any day. But I look at the building portion and the flying portion as kind of seperate hobbies. I don't enjoy building all that much, I think mostly because I don't have all the fancy tools to do the job right. I've built a few kits, a goldberg ultimate, and an US 1000, but for the most part I don't enjoy building because I don't have the time. For me it IS about saving money, I would rather buy two different ARF's for the $$ it would take me to build one kit. But I enjoy the flying part of the hobby much more than the building portion.

I also benifit from a year round flying season, so there is no winter down time for me. If I did have a winter where I couldn't fly I probably would spend that time building and would invest in the tools to do it right. I'm sure I would enjoy it much more then.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:39 PM
KaosDriver

Thanks to all who have replied. The Uproar is nearly covered, and I'm over my self-pity. Sorry. I'm just getting back into the hobby after 13 years gone, and the excitement of seeing my first kit back taking shape is cool. That's why I like you guys. You're not only generous but you help keep me grounded. I have plans for a 1/4 scale Rutan Quickie that are really talking to me. I'll be alright. Thanks again, Mark
Old 07-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Oly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had this same debate with myself many times. Minn flyer says it for me---it's a hobby, and I realized that I enjoy building almost as much as I do flying (note the "almost" part!). I am seriously considering a Carl Goldberg Ultimate kit, even though it has two wings. I figure at my building speed, I could make 15 cents an hour should I get a job building planes. Kind of like when I was a ski bum, no money in it, but I had the best "job" on the mountain!!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Fubar-One

Im straight down the 5 freeway from you down in So Cal and I also have year round flying weather.
As far as special building tools, all you really need is an Xacto knife with spare blades, some single edge razor blades and a couple of sanding T-Bars or blocks. A covering iron and gun are cheap.
Anything more special that that is just gravy!
I understand how there are people that dont like to build tho. My father just retired about a year ago and I figured he would start building kits but he is strictly from ARF. Just not his thing.
Me, I plan to retire back east about 13 years from now and am building up my retirement stash of kits to build during those Pittsburgh winters I keep hearing so much about.
Depending on how I stack the boxes I think I have a cord of balsa so far.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:32 PM
KaosDriver

Being I started this thread I might as well continue it. I really do enjoy building to a fair extent, I just got carried away with the financial analysis. It amazes me how a quality ARF can be offered at relatively low prices (even understanding mass-production, child labor and all). I do like the satisfaction of bringing something to the flight line that is unique, and that only building can produce. Fubar: I hear you about the winter projects. I too like to accumulate kits. My passion tends toward classic Pattern ships, so I best rekindle my previous passion for building! I love the hobby in all respects and appreciate the banter...Mark
Old 07-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Ernie Misner

I think the CA fumes are one thing that has me "building" an ARF in the winter now rather than a kit. The toll from these fumes probably won't be fully understood for some time. I have to admit that oderless CA doesn't fit into my budget. I do appreciate regular wood glue and epoxy where applicable too.

Sometimes I tinker around with an ARF so much that I forget I didn't build it from a kit.....

Ernie
Old 07-08-2005, 07:37 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: crow8657

I wanted a fun-flyer and settled on the Tower Uproar. I nearly bought the ARF version for $89.00 but decided to "save money" and buy the kit for $39.00 12 hours later it's ready to cover. 2 rolls of Monokote @$14.00 per roll. A bottle of CA @$7.00. Wheels, fuel tank, engine mount. It'll probably take me around 4 hours to cover. Equates to 16 hours total assembly time. At a fair $15.00/hr. labor rate this equates to $240 in labor alone. Approx. $290.00 all together, for an Uproar. Even if it took me four hours to assemble the ARF, I'd be @$140 ahead with a straighter-built, prettier machine. With 3 or 4 days flying under my belt. The sad thing is I don't like to build like I used to and I've done this before! Please tell me I'm not the only one who has. My next purchase is a Sporstsman Aviation Corby Starlet. Please don't try to talk any "sense" (cents?) into my head. Thanks for letting me vent......Mark

ARF assembled $140.00

Kit built $290.00

Showing up at the field with a plane that doesn't look like all the rest....PRICELESS
Old 07-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Ernie Misner

Mark, how is the Uproar coming? Have you flown it yet? I have the ARF version almost ready to go although powered with only an OS 32SX. I used an AAA battery pack.... we'll see if it is light enough for that engine. Wish I could find a wood 11x3 prop, but can't.

Ernie
Old 07-08-2005, 05:40 PM
KaosDriver

Ernie: The Uproar is covered, assembled, and ready for the radio and trim. Am going with a Tiger Shark .39 mounted sideways to help eliminate the goo. Have you balanced yet? I'm using an Aitronics VG 6000 with standard servos so I don't know where I'm at with the balance yet. Let me know.. with my schedule I'm looking to maiden in a couple days. By the way, what size tank are you using? A Sullivan 6 oz. is a TIGHT fit!....Thanks, Mark
Old 07-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Fubar-One

Yeah, I also love those pattern ships. I have a stack of various Kaos versions stashed away and am building my second Tower Kaos kit as I write this. One too many crashes on Kaos #1 and there just wasnt anything left to epoxy to.
They just look so damned cool doing flybys!

Uh, just remembered that this is the ARF forum!

I just completed my twin Saito .30 powered Twinstar ARF and its ready to maiden. Its ready, I aint. Due to various reasons I havent flown in a couple of months so decided to hold off on the maiden flight (first twin engine!) till I get back in the groove.
'Sides, I want to try the APC 13X4 prop I just got for my Funtana 40. OS .70FS.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 PM
KaosDriver

Fubar: you being a Pattern lover, do you have any personal experiance with the Tower Kaos ARF? Threads I've read concern me about the covering. I too have the Tower kit version but am interested in the ARF. The price is quite affordable. I'm going to do this ARF thing so I can at least appear to know what I'm talking about. Mark
Old 07-09-2005, 01:49 AM
rcluver

Hey crow: I have one of the Tower Kaos ARF's, have about 30 flights on it now, covering is holding up well. The only problem I'm having with mine is the trim lines. They are starting to come loose. I've stuck them back down once, but they are coming loose again. Otherwise it's a great flying/looking plane.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Fubar-One

Nope, no experience with the ARF version. Came this close -><- to getting one then decided to haunt Ebay till I found another kit version. Building that and have a second Tower version stashed along with all the GP and Bridi versions.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Ernie Misner

Mark, the Uproars come out nose heavy with a 46 size engine. So with my 32 I figured it would come okay to a bit tailheavy even because of the light engine difference. Well, I went ahead and built the AAA battery pack in alongside of the stock tank to get a little more weight foreward with the small engine. Turned out to be a bit of a mistake..... should have put the little battery pack further back. Checking my balance now, I need three 1/4 oz. weights on the tail with the standard muffler, two with the mac's muffler, and only one with the mousse can setup. (I mounted my 32 a little "more" than on it's side so the exhaust would come out right below the fuselage) Haven't flown it yet.... I'm kinda slow and concentrating on flying another plane right now.

Ernie PS - balance was a joy to check by hanging it upside down from two teeeeny eye bolts screwed into the hardwood strips on the bottom hatch, then run the string through both of them making a loop before hanging it upside down. Lateral balance was perfect BTW)
Old 07-11-2005, 11:16 PM
KaosDriver

Ernie Thanks for the update on your Uproar. I'd love to say mine balanced perfectly, but never have been able to say that. With standard rcvr battery pack located at far forward in wing, I still had to use a Higley Heavy Hub inside the spinner to balance. I was surprised because the muffler on the Tiger Shark is a rather stocky affair. But that's what it took. Began engine break-in today. The Tiger Shark is the easiest I've dealt with in a long time. Starts with a flip cold or warm, transistions great, and idles like a lazy dog. Pleased so far. Weather may be a factor with Dennis. Let you know. Mark