Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

building tips for H9 cap (73")

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

building tips for H9 cap (73")

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 01:04 AM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building tips for H9 cap (73")

How about some tips on building the cap since so many of us got this plane at such a great price.
One thing that I did on mine was when the directions have you install the dowl rod support plates inside the fuse I made a one piece plate out of 1/4 ply that measure about 1" by 6". I used the 1/4 ply because of all the reports of the stock plates wearing out the hole. Just lay the plate up to the dowl rods on the wing, mark and drill. I then layed the wing into place on the plane and checked the fit of the one piece plate. Once satisfied with the fit I marked the plate with the fuse so the wing was centered. I then used 15 min epoxy, and glued the plate in place with the wing installed. The wing helped to hold the plate in place. After the glue had started to set up alittle I removed the wing being careful not to move the plate. This seemed alot easier then the book and a hole lot stronger
Thats my tip, How about some more from the rest of the cap gang.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:32 AM
Mr. Wildcat

Don't put servos in the tail because the airplane already is tail heavy. Even with a gas engine, I had to add lead to the nose (yuk).

I replaced factory landing gear with TNT landing gear because original gear shattered on me during a landing on asphalt.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:51 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Throw the supplied elevator pushrod in your parts basket, and install dual elevator servo's, using fiberglass pushrods. Do not use standard servo's. High torque on all except throttle. I would also invest in the dubro heavy duty servo horns.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:22 AM
gjestico
My Feedback: (2)

Default H9 Cap232

Ensure the rear wing bolt block in the fuse is glued securely.
As you have heard, Keep everything as far forward as you can.
With an OS 1.60, Mine was still 1/2" behind the rearmost cg limit.
It flew well at that though, I am loathe to add lead to any plane for balance.
The stock method for the tail wheel won't last long. Try a better (but still light) aftermarket setup.
Watch the firewall for seperation from the tri stock. The glue they use is not so good. mine was split halfway down when I discovered it after a few flights.
This plane flys very good in all attitudes, makes a good precision flyer, just keep it light or you'll have to add a pound to the nose to balance it.

Greg J
Old 01-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Mike Bell

Default Re: H9 Cap232

Originally posted by gjestico
Ensure the rear wing bolt block in the fuse is glued securely.
As you have heard, Keep everything as far forward as you can.
With an OS 1.60, Mine was still 1/2" behind the rearmost cg limit.

Greg J
How true.
My wing block came loose last season. It was one of those just fly around days without much crazy stuff. It just kept going out of trim so when I landed it OH!!!. put some screws through the fuse ply into the block and some 30 minute. Many flights since and no weakness.
I have a 1.80 Saito/1500ma nicad all as far forward as it will go just to get the CG right.
Though plane to balance without lead but a good flyer.

Mike
Old 01-09-2002, 12:18 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Default Hangar 9 CAP

I fly mine with a BME 44 on the nose. I started out by tearing all the covering off of the fuse so I could redo some of the frame work. I used a dremel and very neatly cut away some of the ply in the very back of the fuse. I also framed up some mounting areas for servos in the tail. Another thing I did was heated up a wire and cut some of the foam out of the turtle deck. CHECK the INCIDENCE of the rear stab and the main wing. I found a center line for the fuse and the set the stab incidence to 0, the rear stab started out at 1 1/2 degree positive. The wing was pretty close to 3/8 a degree positive when I did this, so I left it alone. BE VERY WEIGHT CONSCIOUS. With a BME44 I was able to get the weight down around the 13.5 lbs area, not bad considering that the same plane with a YS 140 weighs about 12.75 lbs. Good Luck, JEFF
Old 01-09-2002, 12:43 AM
Mike Bell

Good weight for that plane setup!
Old 01-16-2002, 09:48 PM
TOYMAKER

Default CAP 232 WEIGHT

Originally posted by Mike Bell
Good weight for that plane setup!
Man I though mine was heavy at 12lbs.... I substituted C.F. gear for the aluminum. I am using a home made soft mount that is 1/2 the weight of the stock aluminum ones, had to make a nose ring box. I threw away the lumber for a pushrod and used c.f rod supported on a bearing at the back former. Put the fuel tank on the C.G. and battery and throttle servo in behind the firewall. S.T.2300 for power w/Perry/pump/carb setup.
I have yet to fly this plane and prelim's indicate C.G. will be close.
I hope I dont have to add weight to the nose. If I do I'll just put the stock L.G. back on.
See pic of mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1107_2297.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1292  
Old 01-16-2002, 11:35 PM
Dazzler

Since when did we start mounting engines to Eskimo pie's
Old 01-17-2002, 02:20 PM
TOYMAKER

Default PIE'S

And they are tasty too..........

Mainly since it cuts down on much of the damaging vibration, servo wear, battery drain and overall fatigue in airframes.
I like my PIES......

Old 01-17-2002, 05:21 PM
Dazzler

Default Engine mount

Nice job Toymaker, looks like you are the innovative type!! Now I have to go to the store, for some reason I have the urge for some ice cream.