Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

I agree with no working flaps needed on this plane. I just marked out the flap area with thin Ultracote stripes as shown on my previous post (number 255).

After a couple of weekends it's still flying great and landing like a trainer on the stock retracts.
[8D]
Old 12-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Nightmair

This thread is excellent so far. I have the H9 PTS P51 trainer and have been drooling over the thought of a warbird with retracts. I know retracts is a sore subject here, but I am encouraged by those who stayed with stock retracts and have had no problems so far. I like how the Evo .61 exhaust is routed thru the cowl...very cool. I'm also very encouraged by the flight characteristics, as it is a pig to fly in G3, but I did get the feel of it.

Q: Does it tend to nose over on landings? how stable does it feel taxiing?
Old 12-03-2005, 09:42 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Nightmair
No sign of nosing over on take off or landing at all. The H-9 P-51 had to be modified to prevent nose overs, but this P-47 is very stable on the ground. I have flown a student's P-51 PTS and find the P-47 as good to land and a bit more responsive at low speeds. It is in no way a trainer due to the larger engine, greater speed, etc., but it sure lands sweet.

In the air it is no pig (G3 got it wrong) it is nimble, responsive and as smooth as my Extra-300. It flies well beyond 'scale' and looks great doing point rolls, etc. Going flying tomorrow if the winds will just slow down some. I replaced my Futaba aileron servos with a pair of Hitec servos and now I don't have to reverse the aileron controls on the TX since the Hitec turn in the opposite direction from Futaba when used with a Futaba receiver. No biggie either way, just a habit of mine to set all my planes working in the same direction so an absent-minded old coot won't forget which plane is on.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Gary From England

Got my P47 yesterday and am really pleased with the quality. Can't wait to get her built.
Got a servo slow to slow the retracts down a bit as did not want a fast servo to yank the wheel into the bay.

Just started painting some of the area's I feel need a touch up, the wheel bays for example.

I've bought a SC91FS which should fly her nicely. [>:]

Keep this great thread going, its been more than helpful to me for me.

Gary
Old 12-04-2005, 02:04 PM
lowbubba
My Feedback: (1)

In the February issue of Model Airplane News they have a large article on the 1.50 Hanger 9 P-47 and also a article on the 60 size Hanger 9 P-47. They are flying the 1.50 with a 180 Saito and the 60 size with a 82 Saito. Both are excellent flyers according to the articles.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:05 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Feb issue eh? Guess a trip to Barnes and Nobels is in order!

Jerry
Old 12-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Nightmair

Quint ....Thanks! You ESPECIALLY NAILED IT when you said the P-47 handles like a pig in G3. It was what made me decide against getting the P47 initially until I read all your REAL WORLD experiences. I am so much more encouraged now! It sounds like a GREAT flyer!

Today I put my wallet where my mouth is and ordered the p-47 from my LHS with an OS .61 LX. I'm going JR on servos and receivers so I can still use my cool JR 5 ch. trans. that came with my p-51 PTS. I'm going to stay with the stock retracts and see if they will do OK.

I gots me a winter project now!!!

GREAT THREAD..keep it going!

ORIGINAL: quint-rcu

No sign of nosing over on take off or landing at all. The H-9 P-51 had to be modified to prevent nose overs, but this P-47 is very stable on the ground. I have flown a student's P-51 PTS and find the P-47 as good to land and a bit more responsive at low speeds. It is in no way a trainer due to the larger engine, greater speed, etc., but it sure lands sweet.

In the air it is no pig (G3 got it wrong) it is nimble, responsive and as smooth as my Extra-300. It flies well beyond 'scale' and looks great doing point rolls, etc. Going flying tomorrow if the winds will just slow down some. I replaced my Futaba aileron servos with a pair of Hitec servos and now I don't have to reverse the aileron controls on the TX since the Hitec turn in the opposite direction from Futaba when used with a Futaba receiver. No biggie either way, just a habit of mine to set all my planes working in the same direction so an absent-minded old coot won't forget which plane is on.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:24 PM
CAPT John
My Feedback: (15)

I posted a video clip of my P-47 on Speeders Model Shop's website: [link=http://www.SpeedersOnline.com]SpeedersOnline.com[/link] . The clip is on the main page, just below the P-47 photo in the review I wrote.

John
Old 12-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Nightmair

Hey! I found a photo of the REAL plane!

BTW: for the G3 simulator P47, I increased the pitch of the prop which moved the plane better. The problem with the P47 in the simulator is that it is underpowered.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Nightmair

ORIGINAL: Old Navy Flyer

I posted a video clip of my P-47 on Speeders Model Shop's website: [link=http://www.SpeedersOnline.com]SpeedersOnline.com[/link] . The clip is on the main page, just below the P-47 photo in the review I wrote.

John

Nice review! Very encouraging for flight, and some nice building tips. I'm going with the OS .61 FX for economy and keeping the stock retracts..mostly because I'm new to building and want to Keep it simple.

EDIT: I just watched the video you have and the sound of that 4 stroke is amazing. hmmmm.......I goota think here now...
Old 12-07-2005, 01:03 PM
CAPT John

Nice review! Very encouraging for flight, and some nice building tips.
Thanks. Writing the review was a great learning experience.

EDIT: I just watched the video you have and the sound of that 4 stroke is amazing. hmmmm.......I goota think here now...
The fly-bys in the video were at about 1/3 throttle. I should have included a full throttle pass for the full sound effect. I love the sound of a 4 stroke in a warbird.

John
Old 12-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Nightmair

Well I have my P-47 in hand! And my OS 61 with a Pitts muffler. I'm going all JR so I should be able to digitally control the servo rate for gear if it gets too snappy. I think that's a feature...

The plane is beautiful and it IS built very clean!

So does the pilot come with it or not? Is it supposed to?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:36 PM
CAPT John

So does the pilot come with it or not? Is it supposed to?
Unfortunately the pilot does not come with the ARF. I used an Aces of Iron 1/7th scale "Chuck" pilot. Since the plane is between 1/8 & 1/9 scale, I had to cut off a bit of the pilot bust to make it fit. Others have used the Hangar 9 pilot. I believe it is pre-painted.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:35 PM
SpeedersModelShop

ORIGINAL: quint-rcu
In the air it is no pig (G3 got it wrong) it is nimble, responsive and as smooth as my Extra-300. It flies well beyond 'scale' and looks great doing point rolls, etc. Going flying tomorrow if the winds will just slow down some.
The Thunderbolt in G-3 is modeled after the Top Flite GS P-47 kit. That is a giant scale warbird (85" wingspan, 22lb) with a heavy wing loading and my guess is they probably got it about right for that model.

The Hangar 9 kit has a very light wing loading for a warbird and that makes a huge difference. Based on my experience with a H9 P-51 I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of their warbird models for a third plane. If you have a Mustang PTS and you can fly it comfortably with all of the drag devices removed then you should be able to handle the P-47.

Keith
Old 12-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Nightmair

As far as flying the P47 in G3, I fixed it a bit by increasing the prop pitch to 22. Increasing prop size doesn't help too much...don't increase the prop size more than 2 inches. Then when you fly, push your throttle trim all the way up....Then it flies much better, as the stock P47 in G3 is way underpowered. You'll notice a HUGE difference and it flies nice now.

I got the unpainted pilot bust from H9 in 1/7 scale....I'll see how it fits when it gets here....1/7 might be a bit too large but it should be OK.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:45 AM
tailskid

You have to cut off a couple of inches from the bottom of the pilot in order to get it to fit. I'll measure mine and let you know how tall it has to be.

Jerry
Old 12-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Gary From England

Done the wheel wells by continuing the invasion stripes across the plastic edges of the well, and painted the inside of the wells pale green. Got some Robart covers for the piano wire under carridge, these look very good if you are staying with stock retracts.

I'll post some pics later, looks good, even if I say so myself........[8D]

Weekend weather not looking too flyable so may get some of the assembly done, I'm looking at fitting snakes to elevator and closed loop for rudder, servos under the wing, hate having the servo's showing at the rear end.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:51 PM
tailskid

Yep, leave about 3" of the pilot and it will fit under the canopy.

Jerry
Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 AM
G-Pete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Iā€™m Pete ā€“ my screen name here is G-Pete.
I read some of you guys changing the retracts out, my question is: what are you planning to do with the old ones? I have a P51 without retracts and I like to change this. Those war birds look waaaaay better with landing gear in.
So, if you have no use for your old ones ā€“ I like to buy them from you.
Thank you in advance.
Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]

Pete
Old 12-09-2005, 09:34 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

You can buy mine; I'm going with Robart Retracts.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Nightmair

I have the OS .61 fx and was told the plane might be underpowered a bit..so I'm returning it and getting the OS .91. At least I'll have some throttle when I need it. and I get to spin a 14" prop! The 11" prop off a .61 looks so puny.

Opinions on if a .61 would feel underpowered?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Nightmair

ORIGINAL: Gary From England

Done the wheel wells by continuing the invasion stripes across the plastic edges of the well, and painted the inside of the wells pale green. Got some Robart covers for the piano wire under carridge, these look very good if you are staying with stock retracts.

I'll post some pics later, looks good, even if I say so myself........[8D]

Weekend weather not looking too flyable so may get some of the assembly done, I'm looking at fitting snakes to elevator and closed loop for rudder, servos under the wing, hate having the servo's showing at the rear end.
You mean you can put plastic scale covers over the retract wire? Can you still retravct full with them in...or is some mods needed? Sounds like it would look great and add to the scale appearance.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Nightmair

ORIGINAL: Old Navy Flyer

DiscoWings,
I'm using an OS-91 FS. The cylinder head comes to within about 1/8" of the cowl, so I'm going try it without cutting an opening for the head. I cut away all the areas between the dummy radial cylinders but left the lower supercharger area covered. I intend to make an oversize exhaust opening on the bottom of the cowl for airflow.
John
It's reports like yours I was looking for...I want to install the same engine.

Stupid newbie question: If you don't have to cut the cowl opening for the cyl. head, how do you hook up the glow starter?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Gary From England

Here are a couple of pics of my U/C.

I'm pleased with the outcome as they only cost me Ā£7.75.

Still retract fully into wheel bays. and spring still does its job.

No mods are necessary unless you want to fit the bay doors. Doors would not clse against the wing unless you lower the legs deeper into the wing. I'm not to fussy about the doors to be honest as I have read else where that the airflow can pull on the doors putting strain on the retract servo, so will be leaving the doors off I think........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34508.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	367402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79986.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	367403  
Old 12-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Nightmair

G from E: That looks amazing. Thats as good as stock retracts are ever going to look. You have me sold!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.