Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:21 PM
scrambow
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

One thing I forgot to mention. The paint on the belly pan got a little sticky during the engine break in period. (I ran the engine on the airplane). I ran four tanks of 10% nitro through it and it was pretty tacky. The paint didn't lift or anything, it just got a bit sticky. After cleaning the oil off, I wiped it down with denatured alcohol, then sprayed the pan with Top flight clear. Problem solved. The cowling was just fine. However, it didn't get much fuel on it.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How did the plane balance? Did you need any dead-lead anywhere?

Jerry
Old 11-05-2005, 11:06 PM
CAPT John
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: rcandy

John, I got the wings joined, and the wingbolt plate on. Then I went to work on attaching the belly pan to the wing and one of the formers fell out. I decided to epoxy them both in to make sure they stay. Did you just epoxy the side rails or did you also put epoxy on the center two formers as well?

Thanks,
Andy

Doug,
One of the formers in my plane's belly pan fell out too. I epoxied the formers in as well.
John
Old 11-05-2005, 11:29 PM
oldtyme

John.....it was Andy that asked but that's OK, maybe Doug will learn from this too.
What I meant was once the belly pan was repaired, did you apply epoxy to the cross braces as well as the side rails when you mounted the belly pan to the wing?

Thanks again........ ANDY
Old 11-05-2005, 11:45 PM
CAPT John

John.....it was Andy that asked but that's OK, maybe Doug will learn from this too.
What I meant was once the belly pan was repaired, did you apply epoxy to the cross braces as well as the side rails when you mounted the belly pan to the wing?

Thanks again........ ANDY

Sorry Andy... As I recall, I applied epoxy eveywhere I thought it would contact the wing.

By the way. I finished my P-47 tonight. I am very happy how it turned out, for a sport scale ARF. Hopefully I can do engine and taxi checks tomorrow and maiden it next weekend when I'll have more time.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85055.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	349425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11528.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	349426  
Old 11-05-2005, 11:56 PM
tailskid

What engine, and how did it balance?

Jerry
Old 11-05-2005, 11:58 PM
CAPT John

ORIGINAL: tailskid

How did the plane balance? Did you need any dead-lead anywhere?
I just finished balancing my P-47 and didn't have to add any weight. I'm using a OS-91 FS with the battery and receiver just aft of the fuel tank. My bird came in on the heavy side at 9.2 lbs. The extra weight came from air retracts and oleo struts, plus an on board glow driver and battery.
John
Old 11-06-2005, 12:09 AM
tailskid

Good luck with your first flights....let us know how it goes...

Jerry
Old 11-06-2005, 06:28 PM
oldtyme

John,

I was a bit dissappointed with the way the belly pan fit. Pretty flush on the starboard side and a pretty nice gap on the port....I think the trim strip they provide will cover it, if not I bought some of the Silver covering just in case of mishaps and would be able to cut a wider trim strip. Wing fit nice though.
Where did you put your air fill valve? I think I'm going to mount mine in the "chin" just behind the
cowl along with the remote glow starter, on/off switch and charger port. Mostly will be unseen there.

Please advise when you do your maiden,
Andy
Old 11-06-2005, 08:01 PM
CAPT John

John,

I was a bit dissappointed with the way the belly pan fit. Pretty flush on the starboard side and a pretty nice gap on the port....I think the trim strip they provide will cover it, if not I bought some of the Silver covering just in case of mishaps and would be able to cut a wider trim strip. Wing fit nice though.
Where did you put your air fill valve? I think I'm going to mount mine in the "chin" just behind the
cowl along with the remote glow starter, on/off switch and charger port. Mostly will be unseen there.

Please advise when you do your maiden,
Andy
Andy,

The belly pan on my plane also had some gaps, but they were covered by the trim strip. I mounted my air fill valve, glow driver charge port, & battery switch/charge port on the starboard side over the wing.

I took the Jug to the field today, ran the engine and did a high speed taxi test. By the time I got to 1/2 throttle, her tail was up and she wanted to fly. I wanted to do some more preflight checks, so I resisted the strong urge to go for it. It handled great taxiing to/from the pits, and was stable during the fast taxi/pre-takeoff roll. She required only a bit of left rudder, mostly due to the crosswind. The engine ran smoothly, and with the on board glow driver, idled very slowly. All in all, a good day. I hope to maiden her next weekend.

John

Name:	Us53251.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	349864  
Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 PM
scrambow

I moved the servos into the radio compartment, mounted the battery to the aft side of the throttle servo tray, fiberglassed the inside of the firewall, installed a Saito 100 and didn't have to add any extra weight at all. Balanced right on 4.5 inches from the L/E, weight about 8 Lbs.

Name:	Qo39529.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	350330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41075.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	350331  
Old 11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
lowbubba
My Feedback: (1)

I'm going through my P-47 now and you might want to check your elevator joiner wire before you glue it in. Mine was bent up on one in. it wasn't bad, but still bent that your elevators would not be square. So far thats all that I have found.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:54 PM
ronridd

I'd like to put the new Saito FA-125 (100 size case) on the H9 Thunderbolt 60. Any objections, comments, concerns?
thanks
-r-
Old 11-11-2005, 03:30 PM
scrambow

More power to ya!!! LOL. The Saito 100 flys this bird perfectly. I fly around most of the time, (including loops and rolls) on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Rarely use full throttle. The plane is off the ground before you can get the throttle to 3/4 on take off role.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:14 PM
tailskid

What about cowl clearance?

Jerry
Old 11-12-2005, 12:17 PM
ronridd

Well, I ordered the new Saito 125, and I appreciate not getting beat up about the power. I'm new to the nitro hobby (after electric) and don't have any regrets about over-powering my UCANDO (even though I was throughly beaten by the folks on that thread). I don't have any problem flying at 1/2 throttle, and want to blow past the guys at my field when appropriate <g>.

I picked up my Thunderbolt yesterday!!!!!! Way too cool for me....so much for profiles made out of Dow Blue-Cor. It's so cool.....Fat, that's the word. I don't think I'll have any problem finding room in there for servos!

The engine does not ship until Dec 13th, so I will be anxious for any new build posts.

CHEERS

-rr-
Old 11-12-2005, 12:58 PM
tailskid

rr,

No problem with me if you overpower something - I do for exactly the same reason you mentioned. My H9 P-40; P-51; Funtana 90 were all 'slightly' overpowered by what some think. BUT flying by slow and low (and quiet) is realistic in my mind. I too would like to get one of those new 125's...but $$$$ can stop me dead

Jerry

PS Keep us posted as to your progress.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:31 PM
oldtyme

I think a lot of us would love the 125. As for overpowering.....it has it's pros and cons but this is your airplane so no one should thump on you for engine choice. The only comment I would offer is that this is not a 3D model.......it's a kinda sorta scale model and flying these kind of airplanes is different. No hammerheads or knife edges..........the real thing was not certified to enter an intentional spin either so this is a different breed of animal. Of course you can fly it however you want but warbirds were definitely not CAP's.

I have mine well under way. I'm installing a SuperTigre G75 with in-cowl header and muffler which should yield more than enough power even at 1/2 throttle. This is one of the best ARF's
I've ever seen. I'm a builder and just had to have this one and I am definitely not sorry.

Ron..........just a closing note........last summer I just could not resist buying a Saito FA100 Golden Knight............those Saito's are just gorgeous motors.........a friend of mine is saving for the motor you just ordered.

Best Regards,
Andy
Old 11-12-2005, 10:22 PM
ronridd

Thanks for the support.

Since this is only my second plane, and my first was a great planes ucando, this model seems like a masterpiece. My ucando provided me with hours iron training for wrinkled cover. This H9 does not have a blemish anywhere! I'm a newbie, but I'm sure impressed with the workmanship.

This will be my first Saito too, as my ucando is powered by a Magnum. Most everyone is my club is over-zealous about their Saito's, with only one guy (the best pilot, probably) complaining they run "too-hot." (he say's OS is the only way to go) I don't really care, as long as it runs....and after spending months learning how to tune an inverted (the tank is too high) magnum, I'm ready for an engine that runs like "all those other ones at the field."

You folks have probably already have seen this, but here's a great resource for info on the Thunderbolt......interesting that it was incubated by two Russian's.

[link=http://Link to Thunderbolt History]http://www.vectorsite.net/avp47.html[/link]

Thanks again.
-r
Old 11-12-2005, 11:21 PM
scrambow

I have a Magnum 91 mounted inverted on a GP Tiger Moth. This is the hardest engine I have tried to tune. Full power is not a problem. It's keeping it running at idle that is giving me fits. I think I will probably have to install an onboard glow system to keep it running at idle. It will purr like a kitten with the glow drive on. As far as the cowling clearance in the P-47. With the way the engine mount is set up at the 45 deg. inverted, I had to cut the cowling to clear the rocker covers. The muffler goes out the bottom so you can't see much of it anyways. You will probably have problems with the landing gear as well. The gear gets bent FWD ever so slightly when taxiing around on rough ground and the wheels hang up on the front of the wheel wells when retracted. I would also install the gear door screws with the heads on the inside of the doors. The screws ends and nuts will hang up in or on the wheel well liners when the gear is retracted. This prevents the gear from fully retracting and really loads up the retract servo. I have bent my gear back after every flying session so far and it just ends up tweeked forward the next time I fly it. Other than that you will love this plane. Fly it like a war bird and it will reward you with great flights.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:33 PM
CAPT John

I finally had the chance to fly my P-47 this weekend...the maiden flight went great. With 12-15 knots of headwind, the plane was off the ground within 20 feet passing through about half throttle. After a good amount of down trim, it flew like it was on rails and looked terrific. The invasion stripes really stand out! On low rates, rolls and loops were very scale-like (we didn't try high rates this time). Landing into the strong headwind was just a matter of letting it settle in at about 1/4 throttle on final until the landing threshold and easing back the power with the flare. The OS-91 FS ran flawlessly and gave the plane plenty of power. The Robart retracts and Robostruts functioned great as well. I think this is going to be a great Sunday flyer -- fun, reliable, and impressive.
John

Name:	Bz79257.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	353873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70924.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	353874  
Old 11-14-2005, 03:15 AM
oldtyme

John, She looks great! Glad everything went without a hitch. What pilot figure did you use?
I was going to paint a 1/7 scale Hanger 9 WWII pilot but if you can lead me on to an already painted
pilot that looks good.................please stear me in that direction.

Your photos are great. I love this airplane. My father-in-law flew P47's and he is going to be the pilot in all of my P47's. We lost him in 1987 but he lives on in my passion for this bird. I used to live in Southern California and visited the Chino Planes of Fame museum on a regular basis. They also had an annual 2 day airshow and I got to see their P47 fly on several occasions. If you have never heard one of these birds you have no real feel for the sound of the power that comes from them.

Again, congratulations on your maiden flight. Mine is coming along well.......I'm really taking my time between all my other chores around here but I expect that it will be done and flying by Christmas.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 11-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I've been watching this thread since it started. I'm picking mine up at the LHS today at lunchtime. I'll be putting a Saito 100 in it. I will try the stock retracts for now but may switch to Spring Air later on.

Bob
Old 11-14-2005, 09:52 AM
CAPT John

Thanks Andy. I used the Aces of Iron 1/7 scale "Chuck" pilot. It was unpainted, but fortunately my brother is very good at painting pilot figures. I cut off about 3/4" of the bust to make Chuck a more scale fit.

I bet you heard some great P-47 stories from your father-in-law! I think it's great that you continue to honor his memory with your RC planes. As a nation, we're so lucky to have had the WWII generation of heroes step up to the plate when needed. My father was a battleship Sailor in the Pacific (his sea stories inspired me to join the Navy and spend a 25 year career in Naval Aviation). My brother and I had the privilege of taking Dad to the WWII Memorial in Wash DC a couple of years ago, and it was quite moving. People of all ages came around to shake his hand and thank him for his service. He still talks about the experience.

Good luck with the rest of you build. I look forward to your flight report.

John
Old 11-14-2005, 09:54 AM
CAPT John

Bob,
You're going to love the plane! It's a joy to build and fly.
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.