Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

.60 Seagull Extra 300 build question?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

.60 Seagull Extra 300 build question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .60 Seagull Extra 300 build question?

Was wondering about a couple of things. On this plane it has dual elevator servos and i was wondering what is the best way to make sure they are perfectly level with each other. Also to people that built this plane did you use the tailwheel supplied or upgrade to a sullivan. It looks pretty dinky to me. I have been pretty impressed with the quality of this ARF so far. The covering was nice and tight except for a couple small wrinkles on the elevator and rudder. Can't wait to get it in the air.

Flyboy76
Old 10-17-2005, 02:22 PM
jstanton

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: .60 Seagull Extra 300 build question?

I plan on using only one servo for the elevator on this plane. I will be making two rods that are connected to each other using two collars. I have done this on my Dynaflite SE-5a and it works great. The servo I use is a high torque GWS S-03, it has 86oz of torque with a 4.8v battery. This also cuts down on the weight a little. After the plan is built I test my CG and if it in not correct I reposition my battery pack until I get it right. I never add any weight to the plan to get the CG unless there is no other way.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 03:12 PM
davidm
My Feedback: (18)

I just completed the Extra 300, I used the supplied tailwheel but changed the main wheels and skipped the wheel pants.
The most hassle with the Extra is enlarging the fuel tank area to accept a larger tank.
Also beefed up the engine mount with fiberglass tape and tri stock.

David
Old 10-17-2005, 03:15 PM
jstanton

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

David

Beefing up the motor mount sounds like a great idea. I beleve I'll try your method using the fiberglass tape. I've heard these motor mounts can be a little on the weak side.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Flyboy76

Is the supplied tank not large enough for the plane or are you looking for really long flight times. I usually only fly about 8-10 min. per flight. Also if you could show a couple of pictures of the beefing up you did and where you did it that would be great

Flyboy76
Old 10-18-2005, 04:57 PM
davidm
My Feedback: (18)

Actually I Maidened the Extra today here in Okla. It tracked rather well and needed just a few trim adjustments, I balanced it 4 inchs back from the Fuse. The roll rate was a little slow for me,(with throws as per the manuel).
With the TT 61, I did not have to add any weight for balance. I would recommend the wing skids at the tips, this model will tip stall at the flare attitude if slowed down to much before it lands.
The fiberglass tape was applied over all the engine mount joints that I could reach, and used 30 min epoxy, followed up with thinned downed epoxy for fuel proofing.
Not a bad model for the price, It is solid and the covering holds up well outside.
David