Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF production question...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF production question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 07:03 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF production question...

Just wondering... Do the retailers, like Great Planes and Hangar Nine and the rest of the bunch, go to the factories in China with a design and or kit and ask for the arfs to be made, or do the factories design and build the arfs first and then offer them to the retailers. I guess this is one of those "chicken or the egg" questions.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:29 PM
DeadRinger

Default Chicken or the Egg??

Good question...I bet amcross can give us an answer.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:00 PM
stop_the_spam

Default No glue...

Whatever they do, they sure skimp on the Glue!
Old 01-16-2002, 10:54 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Who designs the ARFs

I don't know about Great Planes, nor if it is true in all cases, but I know Hanger 9 and Dave Patrick design, prototype, test and then spec the planes. They then take the specs to whereever and contract a manufacturer to build them to their specs. What they don't do in most cases is monitor the QA process carefully enough, hence the failures and poor glue in many cases.

I know in the case of Dave Patrick's Extra(which I have one and love) they had problems with it coming out tail heavy and a couple of other problems. Someone from DP went to the manufacturer and agreed on changes for the next run. I'm sure this is a common process for many of the ARF manufacturers.

Bill
Old 01-17-2002, 03:25 AM
irishcarbomb
My Feedback: (4)

Default ARF Design

I know one of the designers for H9 and know that he takes trips to the factory(ies) that build their ARFS. i believe this is just to check up on the construction of them and make changes if needed(not perfectly sure). and i've also heard that H9 also designs, builds and tests and even repeats the process if mods are needed before the design goes into production.

rob