Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Staggerwing

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite Staggerwing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:52 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

ORIGINAL: Tall Texan

Paul,

Where did you insatll your switches? I assume on the botton of the plane.
The Rx switch is located up under the top wing. It's not invisible but it's not at all noticeable. Picture below. I put the retract fill valve on the bottom of the plane. The onboard ignition LED and charge jack are on the instrument panel. To the left of them is the antenna for the Specktrum Rx.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39419.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	746643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28150.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	746644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96369.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	746645  
Old 08-28-2007, 04:00 PM
dirtydingus

I plan on putting the BGX-1 3500 on my Staggerwing. Has anyone tried this combo? I have the plane together and the weight should be about right. Wondering about performance. I am also thinking about reshaping the flaps to a four aileron set up with flaperons. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Jim
Old 08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
mobyal

Why would you want to convert the separate flaps and ailerons to four "flaperons"on both top and bottom wings? Leaving aside that wasn't/isn't the way full scale Staghgerwings are set up, what are the advantages you see?
Thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 05:13 PM
flaviosi

Hi, GGGB

Very cool switch!! Where did you buy it?

Thanks,

Flavio
Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: flaviosi

Hi, GGGB

Very cool switch!! Where did you buy it?

Thanks,

Flavio
Maxx Products makes that switch (and lots of other great stuff). I use those switches on all my planes. The battery charge indicator is very useful.

http://www.maxxprod.com/
Old 08-28-2007, 05:28 PM
flaviosi

Thanks for the great tip!

Flavio
Old 08-28-2007, 05:33 PM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: dirtydingus

I plan on putting the BGX-1 3500 on my Staggerwing. Has anyone tried this combo? I have the plane together and the weight should be about right. Wondering about performance. I am also thinking about reshaping the flaps to a four aileron set up with flaperons. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Jim
Hmmmm... it might be fun to try. The roll rate is adequate (I'd describe the roll as "stately" ) with the scale setup. Four ailerons would definitely speed up the roll. However, I suspect it could also make the bird a bit twitchy. I've come to very much appreciate the flaps on landing as they really do help slow things down.

Forgive the dumb question... I'm not at all familiar with the BGX-1 3500. What is its four stroke glow or gasoline engine equivalent?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:00 PM
dirtydingus

I have talked to a couple of past staggerwing owners who both agreed, "unless you are going flat out, the roll rate is anything but brisk". I'm not looking to turn it into a pitts, just want to wake it up a bit. The BGX is a big OS two stroke. With a little more power than the 1.60 and the extra weight needed up front.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:30 PM
mobyal

That's an interesting-sounding engine. I've got an OS 1.60 in my RC Guys Super decathelon that I'm getting ready to maiden, and probably'll need some weight on the nose.
Does it have its own website, or is it on the OS website?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:32 PM
mobyal

Found it. It looks really good.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:30 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: Tall Texan

Paul,

Where did you insatll your switches? I assume on the botton of the plane.
The Rx switch is located up under the top wing. It's not invisible but it's not at all noticeable.

Never thought of putting it up under the top wing. Good idea. Mine was thin enough i put it right on one of the black stripes on the side of the fuse. The charge jack is integral with the switch. Air fill is underneath the fuse.

Name:	Qo39488.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	766654  
Old 09-22-2007, 01:27 PM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I tried to find my answer in this looong post, but could not find the information.

What is the inner diameter of the cowling where the cylinders approx are?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:30 AM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nobody that can help me with the diameter?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: affas

I tried to find my answer in this looong post, but could not find the information.

What is the inner diameter of the cowling where the cylinders approx are?

ORIGINAL: affas

Nobody that can help me with the diameter?

Very difficult to measure. I will take my cowling off and see if I can get you a dimension.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 AM
skylarkmk1

affas,

I don't have the TF Staggerwing, but it is approximately 1/5.3 scale and the TF 1/5th Dummy Engine can be used. Its trimed to fit size is approximately 8-1/2"(21.5 cm). The Saito 160 twin also fits with in the cowl without cut outs since you did not specify which cylinder (Dummy or actual power plant) location. The cowl gets wider from front to back and at the Dummy Engine location the inside diameter should be approx. 8-1/2" and gets bigger towards the rear.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 PM
JKEpps
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone done one of these with a gas engine? I have an SPE 26cc engine in mine and man is it nose heavy. It's taking about 3 pounds 2 ounces to get the balance correct using a Great Planes C.G. Machine, according to the instructions (5 1/2" back from LE of lower wing) . That's with the weight behing the tail wheel, so I imagine I'd have to mount it just inside the tail cone. I'm worried that much weight at the tail would cause problems for the tail wheel retract. Moving the batteries would hep some, but I don't think it would help a lot.

Any thoughts?

-Jorden
Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 AM
bluestratos

I put a 40 cc Brissen in mine. It is completely hidden except for some small areas around the muffler but you can only see these spots from directly underneath. The spark plug boot also shows but since I mounted the engine with the cylinder point down, and the plug angles back, only small amount shows and again, only can be seen from below. The big work I had to do was to modify the fire wall to accept the pitts muffler. The engine fit nicely but the round muffler cut into the fire wall about an inch. The mod cannot be be seen with the cowl on and I did such a nice job it is almost a shame, lol..

First I calc'd the location, then I dremeled out the existing firewall to approxamate size. I then took a 3" piece of pipe, wrapped in with course and paper and complted the relief so it was a perfect quarter circle. I beefed up the structure to make up for removing some of the fire wall then, I used the same pipe, wrapped in wax paper and made a fiberglass filler. Once cured, it fit exactly against the cut out. I carefully trimmed the oversize piece, then used epoxy with microballons to attach it from the inside. The final piece was fine sanded and painte to match. The result is a custom pocket for the muffler to recess into and looks like factory. It was definately worth the work of which took me 4 evenings to complete.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

ORIGINAL: bluestratos

I put a 40 cc Brissen in mine. It is completely hidden except for some small areas around the muffler but you can only see these spots from directly underneath. The spark plug boot also shows but since I mounted the engine with the cylinder point down, and the plug angles back, only small amount shows and again, only can be seen from below. The big work I had to do was to modify the fire wall to accept the pitts muffler. The engine fit nicely but the round muffler cut into the fire wall about an inch. The mod cannot be be seen with the cowl on and I did such a nice job it is almost a shame, lol..

First I calc'd the location, then I dremeled out the existing firewall to approxamate size. I then took a 3" piece of pipe, wrapped in with course and paper and complted the relief so it was a perfect quarter circle. I beefed up the structure to make up for removing some of the fire wall then, I used the same pipe, wrapped in wax paper and made a fiberglass filler. Once cured, it fit exactly against the cut out. I carefully trimmed the oversize piece, then used epoxy with microballons to attach it from the inside. The final piece was fine sanded and painte to match. The result is a custom pocket for the muffler to recess into and looks like factory. It was definately worth the work of which took me 4 evenings to complete.
Did you have the same balance challenges JKEpps had with his SPE 26cc?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:10 PM
bluestratos

No, I had to add a couple of ounces to the firewall. I have the batteries and ignition box mounted on the false fire wall I made to extend the engine.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
F2G-1
My Feedback: (13)

Ive been running a OS BGX in a 80" extra for the last two years, and it has been a GREAT engine. Its comparable to a moki 2.1, runs on regular nitro glow fuel (mokis like 0%) and hasnt given me any trouble. When the BGX came out years ago, some people had problems with it, probably because they tried to run it like a moki. If you plumb it with large tubing and fuel line, you will be very pleased with this engine in any application, its a brute! Also, do yourself a favor and put a bisson muffler on it, the stock muffler is a power robber.
My stag is sitting patiently in its box, awaiting its turn on the table. Ive got the saito 220 for this bird, cant wait to get working on it!
so many projects.......so little time.....

Ted
Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 AM
teamscalepilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally flew mine today. Power Fugi 24 gas. Very stable aircraft!!! As you can see how I transport it to the field. We are a mile from the sod farm!!

Name:	Cz79823.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	797368   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44430.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	797369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23846.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	797370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57582.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	797371  
Old 11-05-2007, 07:20 AM
flaviosi

Hi, TeamScale!

Power Fugi 24 gas.
I have a Fuji 32 EI engine and I'm wondering if it would fit well in there. Do you have some pics of the interior of your cowl?

Thanks in advance!

Flavio
Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 PM
teamscalepilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check back in this thread there are pictures.. Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

ORIGINAL: teamscalepilot

check back in this thread there are pictures.. Thanks

Do you like your motor and how well does it run

Thank you,,,, Dave
Old 11-09-2007, 12:05 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: teamscalepilot

Finally flew mine today. Power Fugi 24 gas. Very stable aircraft!!! As you can see how I transport it to the field. We are a mile from the sod farm!!
Great JOB on that engine install!!!!
Looks fantastic!!

Justin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.