Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Painting ARF's

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Painting ARF's

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 03:16 AM
RooBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting ARF's

Can the film covering of ARF's be painted successfully? Has anyone tried this? How does the paint hold up when the film crinckles in the sun?

What type of paint and procedure used?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:34 AM
Big Sasquatch

Default I've heard of painting Arfs

Someone in the WM Mustang/Dago red threads mentioned they sprayed a flat clear coat on theirs. I like that idea because it might hold the decals and trim details on better (fuel won't be able to get under them and release the adhesive). Anyone else tried this before?
Old 12-02-2002, 04:10 PM
deputydog

Default painting arf's

I usually repaint the arf's I buy. Mainly because everyone else will have the same plane!. Normally you will want to scuf the area you are going to paint with scotchbrite, steelwool or 600grit sandpaper. You can tape the specific area and then sand and paint. Use denatured alcohol or paint thinner to clean the area and then a tack cloth.
Paint will not normally stick to the covering unless its roughened. To seal decals you might want to try some clear nail polish on the edges. If it comes off later then its just a quick retouch.
After the plane is painted and wrinkles surface then just get out the ole heatgun and fix! The paint is usually pretty flexible and wont come off.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:39 PM
RooBoy

Default Thanks deputy...

So you have done this before and it worked. Great! What type of paint did you use? I just want to use a spray can of some sort.
Recommendations??

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:24 PM
deputydog

Default painting arf's

I use all different types of paint. It really depends on the color. Typically i use Formula U, Perfect Paint and Testors enamels. If you use enamel spray then be sure to clear coat it with a fuel proof paint. Your Polyurethanes are fuel proof up to 15-20%. I've been using Perfect Paint clears lately because they dont yellow as much as the Polyu's. Prior to clear coating you can add decals and trim tape. Then seal everything.
A word to the wise. Allow a minimum of 48 hrs between colors if you are masking. Also use a low tack mask. Car painters have an excellent low tack tape or just use electrician's tape. Its pliable. I'll try to send you a pic of my last project.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:20 PM
RooBoy

Default Painting ARF's

My LHS has an epoxy paint in a spray can and they say this is the ducks guts. Would I still need to fuel proof it though in your experience??

I am strying to keep this job simple and as pain free as possible.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:28 AM
deputydog

Default epoxy paints

Epoxy paints are usually bulletproof. The premixed epoxy paints in a spray can are not as stout but will usually last longer than the plane. Do you have a specific name brand? Automotive spray paint is usually good too. Even Krylon at times. The best way to check is to spray something and then after a week rub some 15% on a rag and test. Most laquers and all enamels will NOT hold up. Strange note though, a gallon of latex works wonders......
Old 12-05-2002, 03:20 AM
wildthng

Default Painting ARF's

I used Black baren spray bombs to do a spitfire i built and it worked well and held up for two years when the plane decided it would take up farming instead of flying.I rough up the film with a scotch brite pad and cleaned the film with lacqure thinner before i spayed.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:58 PM
deputydog

Default painting arf's

Here's a pic of my latest project! I started with a World Models 80" P-51 and added a few items. The plane has been completely been repainted with Perfect Paint, Formula U and Pactra enamels.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	39420_2402.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	24172