Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Os 91fx enough for a Funtana 90?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Os 91fx enough for a Funtana 90?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Os 91fx enough for a Funtana 90?

I was wondering if i can 3D with an Os 91fx on this plane. Does anybody have this combination? I'm at sea level so I should be able to get full power out of the engine.
Will I have enough to pull out of a hover? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Smokey
Old 05-11-2006, 10:07 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Os 91fx enough for a Funtana 90?

I'm using a Saito 100 and it can hover and pull out - not with a ton of authority, but will pull out. I would think your FX should be able to do so...and being at sea level should be to your benefit!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Smokey

Tailskid...how much does your plane weigh? Are you using all the stock gear? How did it balance with the 100?

Smokey
Old 05-12-2006, 09:21 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wrote a review of the Funtana 90 for a mag and I'll continue looking for it - it has all the 'data' concerning weight, etc. I still have the plane (less gear) and I did NOT have to add any weight to balance it with the Saito 100. I did have a CF landing gear on it so I could clear the prop. It was (and still is) one nice flying bird!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Despite the outcry you may hear from the people that insist on strapping a Satio 180 on a 60 size plane the 91 will fly it just fine.

It will hover but as he said it doesnt have a ton of pull out authority. Other than that it flys very well.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Smokey

What size prop can you use on the standard size gear on the plane?

Smokey
Old 05-16-2006, 08:25 AM
ExcaliburIII

Smokey
The Funtana that I have now was formerly powered by an OS 91fx. The guy I bought it from could hover it just fine. He was running an APC 16-4W. I am running a YS 91AC in it now and it is unlimited vertical with the same prop. Hovers at 1/3 throttle. I think the previous owner said it would hover at 1/2 with the OS on 30% heli fuel.

Rich
Old 05-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Smokey

ExcaliburIII...Can you tell me how much your plane weighs with the YS? I don't think i want to run my engine on 30% Heli fuel. I'm trying to go the cheap route with this plane. How is the prop clearance with the 16" prop?

Thanks
Smokey
Old 05-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

If you don't want to run the 30% fuel, you'll need a bigger engine to get the nifty vertical performance.

You will get better performance than I do here at 4500 ft. above Sea Level, but even the 100 size engines on 30% won't provide satisfactory power here. My Funtana has a YS 110 and running 30% it performs quite well. There is a HUGE thread on the Funtana that will address almost any question you could ask about it and engines people have used. Very few have even come close to the advertised weight with most coming in above 9 lbs. and that's the problem with the smaller engines. Mine has a bit more weight with a taller TNT aluminum gear, Sullivan tailwheel and the YS is a couple of ounces heavier than a Saito 100 and so it's 9 lbs. 8 oz. RTF.

The Sullivan tailwheel is taller than stock and the TNT besides being two inches taller, is wider and made of 3/16" instead of 1/8" stock size material since the stock gear tends to spred if you get a hard landing. I'm using a 16x6 prop, the 16x4W was not enough load for the YS, and with that gear there is lots of ground clearance for the prop.

JMHO, but you won't like the Funtana on the 91 without at least running the heli fuel...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I agree with Zeeb. I had my Funtana set up twice. First time with a Saito 150. I weighed right at 10lbs. I was very frustrated because the book says 8.1lbs. Ha Ha. The jokes on us. This plane is fat. I put a YS110 on my went to light battery, lighter gear, lighter wheels and got it down to 9lbs 6 ozs. I had plenty of power but I could never get the balance right without adding weight. This became the plane I hated the most. I finally just gave it away. Happiest day in the hobby for me.

If you want to run low nitro than go with the OS160. It will be fine with the low nitro. It will offer plent of power and the added weight in the nose is just what the plane needs. It is not a 60/90 size plane. It is really a 120 size plane that weights close to 10lbs. Even my Ultra Stick Lite 120 is lighter.

The plane flys good but is not what it's advertised to be. It's heavy. You need a lot of motor to haul it around.

Thanks
Barry
Old 05-17-2006, 11:21 AM
ExcaliburIII

Smokey,
I agree with all the above statements. I am running Omega 25-20 in my Ys and I only pay $14.99 a gallon at the LHS. Also being in Florida we are close to sea level but we also pay a humidity and temperature penalty most days. I also tried to be frugal and the YS told me where I could stick the cheap McCoy plugs and 10% coolpower. This hobby ain't cheap and you will get the performance you pay for, better stuff equals better performance and reliability weather it's fuel or radio's or airplanes.

Rich
Old 05-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Smokey

I mainly fly giant scale gas engines. I tend to concentrate my money on the big stuff. I just wanted a glow plane that i can toss around at my other field when i can't fly gas. I do have an OS 160 laying around but we have a engine size restriction at the other field. Maybe i will just get the Funtana 40 and stick the 91fx in it. I was also looking at the Aeroworks 40-60 edge. Anybody try one of those?

Smokey