Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Modeltech Twister Engine size and performance.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Modeltech Twister Engine size and performance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:59 PM
sal2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modeltech Twister Engine size and performance.

Hi Guys,

I have a modeltech twister that I am currently building. I have a 46ax sitting around an a OS 91fx, keep in mind that this weighs exactly the same as its smaller brother the 61. Now my question is:

Has anyone put a 90 on a twister before?
Do people have issues with the tail feathers breaking loose, and if so, did they use the tri mount which was supplied with the kit?
I have replaced most of the hardware, and I choose to install the 90 engine, I have a slimline pitts muffler for it....

Please guys, needs everyones expertise here...
Old 05-14-2006, 04:59 AM
weedy-burton

Default RE: Modeltech Twister Engine size and performance.

Hey sal

Ive got a Twister that I put a Super Tigre G90 in and its the perfect combo.When I first built it I put a 61 four stroke on it and it wouldnt even pull a decent loop,I put three flights on it went home and pulled the engine straight out in dissapointment.Ive since put 10 flights on it with the 90 and love it, it'll take off in about 16 feet pull vertical and go straight up for as long as you want,and Knife edge is unbeleivable( so easy ).As far as I can see the 90 is your only option,here are a few pics.

Cheers

Weedy
Old 05-14-2006, 05:59 PM
sal2006

Hey Weedy, thanks for the input......do you use full throuttle on this? is the engine mounted inverted without a electric glow starter? I also need to know if you have had any issues with the Tail? Did you need to strengthen it in any way? I understand you have 3 tri stabs for additional support. And one more question...sorry about this....It's just I want to build this one right... Did you use a pull pull system for your rudder setup or are you using just the push/pull? is the push pull adequate for full strength rudder control? I will be using hitec 425BB all around the plane.

Thanks for this.

Sal
Old 05-15-2006, 03:11 AM
weedy-burton

Hey Sal,

I definitely use full throttle, vertical and horizontal. Im running a 14x6 prop so it gets along pretty well but its no pylon racer, just make sure your hinge gaps are as small as possible and seal them up as per the instructions.My motor is mounted inverted and has no onboard glow system,I just use the standard hot pocket (glow plug warmer).This is my second G90 (bent the crank on the first) and in my experience you will want to use a !QUOT!OS F!QUOT! four stroke plug as they are longer than a 2 stroke plug which helps resist fuel pooling in inverted engines as well as being a nice hot plug which seems to get rid of the rich mid range every one always whinges about.Also try not to run any more than 5% nitro (none if possible).A very experienced modeler from our club once told me that most larger european manufactured engines are designed to run with verry little or no nitro because its so expensive over there.I used the tri stock supplied in the kit on the tail and have had no problems ( flat spins,hard snaps knife edge spins etc no worries), I also ditched the push pull rudder set up for a dubro pull pull setup. I think your 425bbs will be fine on all surfaces except rudder, I think you'll need at least 5kg of torque on rudder I used a HS 635hb and paid about $58 at my local hobby shop.In addition this is the first plane Ive ever run a 6v receiver pack in and I'll never go back servo speed and torque increases with the extra voltage,and if you want to save a bit of weight try running a timber prop they're heaps lighter than plastic/composite props( just buy 2 at a time they break easy)and if you have the ability or know someone who can do it for you I make my own receiver packs up out of AAA battery's to save weight.You wont be disappointed with this plane its a great flyer and I cant explain how good knife edge is.

Cheers

Weedy

PS get rid of the plastic clevises that come with the kit and get some good quality metal ones or at least plastic with metal pins.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:41 AM
kinverflyer

I have an OS50SX in mine using high torque mini servos to keep the weight down, unlimited vertical, knife edge loops you name it will do it.