Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Super Decathlon CG...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Super Decathlon CG...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Fastsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Super Decathlon CG...

I was reading some good reviews of the Decathlon and most were saying that the plane flys great but the Cg in the manual is off. Does any one know where to set the cg at that works well??? Also just a thought for now but I am thinking about just leaving the wing support rods off to keep things simple. I think the plane looks great with out em. [8D]
Old 05-24-2006, 07:49 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Phoenix Super Decathlon CG...

Normally I set my planes up as to the mfg's recommendation for CG and throws and then adjust from there. I've been flying mine at the 100mm mark. I have found this setting to be acceptable with no issues with stability. I did increase the control throws for the ailerons and elevator, - but how much I don't recall. I don't install the non-functional struts either. They're more of a pain in the _ _ _ than they're worth in aesthetics.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:58 AM
IronCross

Great flying plane... I set my CG at 90mm originally but it was a little tail heavy for my liking so I added .5 ounces to the firewall and seems real good now..
Works fine without the struts... They are easy to use though.. I bolted mine on at the fuselage and never take them off.. When I take the wing off I just swing them back and tie them to the fuselage.. On the wing I instilled !QUOT!trailer hitch!QUOT! ball joints so the struts just pop on and off there... Very quick and simple... Doesn't take more then a couple minuets to do at the field and I like the look of the struts.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Fastsky

Thankx for the responses. I will take a look at the struts again when I have finished the rest of the plane. I thought the landing gear looked too stiff so I replace it with a fiberglass unit. I had to dremel in the middle a bit to get it to fit. I went with Dubro 3" Treaded Light weights. I also changed the tail gear for a Sullivan tail wheel assembly. [8D]
Old 05-24-2006, 03:28 PM
IronCross

I used the stock main gear on mine... No problems so far... One of the few ARF main gears that don't seem to bend everytime you land... I did as you did however with the tail gear... I started with the stock tail gear and quickly found the wire way to soft and bending all the time.. I swithced to the Sullivan tail gear and it is working fine...
I like the pipe for joining the wings together also.. This has to be one strong wing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17636.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	465993  
Old 05-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Sea Bird
My Feedback: (20)

The CG changes with engine size, the book CG would be okay with an OS 40FX or OS 46AX engine. I recommend Flaparons if you have a computer radio. I built two of these and they are super flyers. Leave the struts off as they are for show only. You will find the Decathelon very aerobatic with a strong engine, real big only creates the CG problem. Nothing bigger than a OS 40FX is really needed as it should fly vertical up out of sight with that engine. Happy Landings,

Sea Bird
Old 05-25-2006, 03:46 PM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: Sea Bird

The CG changes with engine size, the book CG would be okay with an OS 40FX or OS 46AX engine. I recommend Flaparons if you have a computer radio. I built two of these and they are super flyers. Leave the struts off as they are for show only. You will find the Decathelon very aerobatic with a strong engine, real big only creates the CG problem. Nothing bigger than a OS 40FX is really needed as it should fly vertical up out of sight with that engine. Happy Landings,

Sea Bird
Huh.. THe CG changes with engine size ???. That's a new one I have never heard before... The CG is specified at 100mm no mater what engine size you put in it...
Old 05-25-2006, 04:02 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Believe he means that the added weight of a larger engine changes the c/g and you have to add weight to bring it back to recommended.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
IronCross

I think your right after reading it again...
Old 05-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Fastsky

Glad to hear about the struts. I will leave mine off. I think the plane looks just fine with out em.