Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Decathlon take off...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Decathlon take off...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Fastsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Decathlon take off...

I have read that some of the other Decathlons are tricky in the ground handlying. Is the Phoenix Super Decathlon tricky as well???[X(]
Old 05-25-2006, 09:13 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Phoenix Decathlon take off...

Yep. It's not a slam to full throttle and yank the stick back kind of take off. My first few attempts were anything but pretty. I was all over the runway before she got airborne.
Slowly add throttle and be easy on the rudder. It actually forces you to learn proper take off techniques.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Fastsky

> "It actually forces you to learn proper take off techniques. < OH no!!!!![X(] Just kidding. Hopefully the plane will be ready for this weekend or the next. I think I will be ok.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Yep. It actually forces you to learn proper take off techniques.
Ain't that the truth. Must be something to do with the short fuselage; both the GP kit Decathalon and the EZ Models ARF Decathalon (both now out of print, sadly) were the same way. And if you tried to yank it off before it was ready to fly, you were rewarded with a tip stall crash.

I don't recall hearing this complaint from Goldberg Decathalon owners.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:39 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Both of the comments above are good ones! The fuselage is short coupled and prop torque (P-factor) definitely has an effect. Ditto on the "add throttle slowly and sparingly" comment. Do some high speed taxi runs first and you should get a good lesson and a good laugh out of it. Build plenty of speed before you decide its time to fly or as was said earlier, a snap roll will reward you. The elevator and rudder are extremely effective - remember this! Have fun and give us a report later.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:41 PM
IronCross

The Pheonix is pretty mild compared to the Seagull SDC... I use a gyro (I know flak jacket on) on the Seagull DC but don't really need one on the Pheonix... Still takes some practice though... I thought it was the short coupling etc too but a guy in our club just flew the Goldberg SDC and it takes off like a dream ... No problems at all... It seems to be proportionaly the same size... Interesting..
Old 05-25-2006, 04:05 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

He must have "the touch" !! Both my H9 J3 Cub and my Seagull Decathlon are very proud of their mischievious ground handling !
Old 05-25-2006, 05:05 PM
IronCross

Some of us are just mere mortals I guess
Old 05-25-2006, 05:16 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Ain't that the truth. Must be something to do with the short fuselage; both the GP kit Decathalon and the EZ Models ARF Decathalon (both now out of print, sadly) were the same way. And if you tried to yank it off before it was ready to fly, you were rewarded with a tip stall crash.

I don't recall hearing this complaint from Goldberg Decathalon owners.
[/quote]

Chances are very good that you have never seen a Goldberg Decathlon powered with anything resembling scale power. Last one I saw was trying real hard to be a pylon racer.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:26 PM
IronCross

The one I am talkint about had an OS .60 fx in it... Could not believe it got off the ground with that... It flew nice and gentle (scale) .. Being his first flights on it he did not try a loop or anything... I like enough power to at least do a nice big loop in mine..
Old 05-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Fastsky

Re: " The one I am talking about had an OS .60 fx in it... Could not believe it got off the ground with that" < so you are saying that an 60 fx is not enough power for a Phoenix Decathlon??
Old 05-26-2006, 08:27 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: Fastsky

Re: " The one I am talking about had an OS .60 fx in it... Could not believe it got off the ground with that" < so you are saying that an 60 fx is not enough power for a Phoenix Decathlon??
No, I was talking about the Goldber SDC... A much larger plane [8D]
Old 05-26-2006, 09:16 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Jim Dines

Chances are very good that you have never seen a Goldberg Decathlon powered with anything resembling scale power.
Actually, the only one I've ever seen was in the box; and, come to think of it, that's where it still is today, in my pal's closet.

I spend entirely too much time on here, and can't recall seeing any handling complaints in the several threads on the CG version of the Decathalon. That's what I was saying...
Old 05-26-2006, 09:29 AM
IronCross

The Goldberg SDC i am talking about was one sweet flying airplane... It was only the first three flights on it and there were no ploblems at all... It is a lareger plane however with an 80 inch wingspan
Old 05-26-2006, 10:08 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

ORIGINAL: Jim Dines

Chances are very good that you have never seen a Goldberg Decathlon powered with anything resembling scale power.
Actually, the only one I've ever seen was in the box; and, come to think of it, that's where it still is today, in my pal's closet.

I spend entirely too much time on here, and can't recall seeing any handling complaints in the several threads on the CG version of the Decathalon. That's what I was saying...
Steve, I wasn't implying the Goldberg model has these characteristics (athough reading my comment, I can see where it looks that way []). My own experience has been obsrerving others' models of the Goldberg, which, as it happens, were overpowered to an extreme. I also have not heard of bad handling about this plane. Several years ago, Dick Pettit did a favorable review on it, and as I recall, he had good things to say about it. My present Decath is the Dynaflite with a G38. It is big enough and heavy enough to not have any ground handling issues, so is not characteristic of the smaller sizes in that respect.

My last experience with a 40 size decath was several years ago, using a TT 42GP on a kit built (I don't recall which kit it was). I do recall that flying it required a refresher course in "model airplane flying 101". Had to learn take off all over again, as I could not just hit the throttle and yank it off the ground. Had to actually do a take off roll with a beginning, a middle and rotation. Just like a real airplane.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:02 PM
jmupilot

My 1/4 scale Bud Nosen Citabria was the same way. It just took a while to learn the take tecnique and then you where home free. But buddy you had better not forget your sesson's 'cause it would show how bad your memory got in a hurry. Must be the way of the Citabria....beast....

Pete