Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

FINALLY!! maidened my Mayhem3D

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

FINALLY!! maidened my Mayhem3D

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 05:29 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINALLY!! maidened my Mayhem3D

Loaded up everything before work and went to the field we we got off. Wind speed was nil to start but picked up before my last flight. Checked everything, range checked transmitter, and started the YS 110. Set the top end a little left it a little rich. Took off and it lifted off at about half throttle. It's very fast with the YS and 1/4 to 1/2 throttle is more than enough for sport flying. Made a couple approaches to judge landing speed and it seemed a bit fast. Backed off two cliks on my throttle and tried again. I was still too fast but it died when I tried to throttle up and I let it settle in in the hay field. Absolutly no damage at all in the tall grass. Fueled up again and made another flight without incident. Made a good landing this time. I think I just didn't have enough stick time on it. One more flight and when I landed it didn't roll more than ten feet. It's very pich sensitive so when I put the cowl on it probably will be just right. It's CG is 5 1/2". It seems to want to bank to the right now and trim hasn't been efective enough to get it out yet. I like it. Totally different than my Big Boy and will take some getting used to be comfortable with it. So for now,,, I really like it.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: FINALLY!! maidened my Mayhem3D

Suitcase...

Congratulations! Always fun to maiden a new plane.

As soon as you get the hang of it you'll be landing this plane so slow you won't believe it. I think the most impressive maneuver this plane will do is the inverted flatspin. It will even rise when done correctly. Another great stunt is the waterfall.

It's a fun, easy flying plane. I love it.

Thanks
Barry
Old 05-26-2006, 03:17 PM
suitcase

Barry I didn't balance the plane latterly, in fact I haven't on any of my planes. Could that be why the plane wants to bank right? It isn't severe but just enough to keep you correcting it. My elevator had some twist in it and I couldn't get it all out by heating the covering. I would have to look at it to see if the twist is in the direction that would cause the right wing to drop. The plane isn't here. What are some of the other things that would cause it to happen.

My YS is running fine and I'm not going to mess with it till it acts up. I haven't put the tach on it though. It's running rich enough and that was my only concern. I ordered the Ultra Oil from Performance to use after each day's flying. It's got the power man
Old 05-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

suitcase...

That's funny. I always lateral balance all of my planes. It think it does help. Also, there is a fair amount of RH thrust on this airplane. Both of those will make it bank right a bit. When you do a hover though it seems to me it's hard to have enough RH thrust. So it may be a bit of compromise. However, I don't recall mine being a problem to fly straight and level. Maybe at full throttle but certainly not at 1/2 to 3/4 which is where I fly most times.

Good luck and I hope you continue to enjoy this beast.

thanks
Barry
Old 05-29-2006, 10:24 AM
suitcase

Thanks for the encouragement Barry. We had a fairly large flyin at a friends field Saturday. He smoked a whole hog (BBQ) and we flew and played a little music too. I took all my flying planes which are Twist, BigBoy, Edge 540 electric, and the Mayhem. With the setup and cleanup I won't be doing that any time soon> RVator took his Katana profile and Typhoon electric. He stripped the gear box on his Mini Ultra Stick the day before and couldn't fly it. We had a good day but all of the other eight guys that brought planes weren't so fortunate. Each one crashed at least one plane. The crashes were, Goldberg Ultimate W/ Saito 1.20, a Dave Patric Ultimate w/ Saito 1.80, a Slow Stick, a Adrenalin w/ OS FS. Dave Robelen showed up with a couple of his own designs, a 13" span bi plane and one similar to a pattern with a .25 engine. The biplane will fly at an actual 54mph and looks like a bumblebee on the wing. The magnet holding the wing came loose and he crashed it. It's so light it didn't hurt it too much though. All and all, we still had a great time.

We used the radio to adust the right aileron a bit and I think that cured the wing dropping problem. It flew really good. That YS is awesome!