Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 Cub Engine choice

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 Cub Engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:13 AM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Cub Engine choice

Hi all;
I'm getting to the point on my H9 Cub ARF of having to decide on an engine and I thought I'd ask for the latest in opinions from you all.

At first I thought an OS70 Surpass would be the way to go. The more I second-guess myself, I seem to be waffling around the Evolution 46 that the plane was set up for. I'd really like the
4-stroke, but don't want to get into major surgery with the throttle setup and engine mount.

Has anybody put the Surpass on one of these? Could you use the mount supplied with the kit? Was the throttle a real bear?

Maybe I'm making too much out of nothing?
Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Fastsky

Default RE: H9 Cub Engine choice

Moving the throttle usually isn't a big deal. Based on my larger Evo engine I won't buy another one. For a 2 stroke I would go for the OS 46AX. Very reliable and runs even smoother than the FX series. For a Cub though you will want to do a lot of slow speed cruising around so a 4 stroke may be a better choice. It woukld be nice to hear the opionions of other Cub owners. [8D]
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to try my OS .52 Surpass mounted inverted. Moving the engine mount was a pain but well worth it im my book. It is so much better with at 4 stroke muffler sticking down and out the cowl. Moving the throttle line is easy. But then tearing out the tank mount system was a pain, but necessary to get the center of the tank equal to the carburator. Hey, RC is not easy; would you rather do cross word puzzles or pay golf???[:'(]
Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

I put a TT 54 4c on mine and spent most of the flying at 1/2 throttle or lower. It was easier to mount the motor horizontal and ordering the GP Super Cub cowl from Tower. I think there's a law against using a 2 stroke on a Cub. Your 70 would be way overkill.
All this said assuming you're talking the 80" not the 100" ?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 PM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

I would get a Saito 82. You dont have to use all of the throttle, but its nice to have the extra power on take off if you need it.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:54 AM
CB36

ORIGINAL: GarySS

I'm going to try my OS .52 Surpass mounted inverted. Moving the engine mount was a pain but well worth it im my book. It is so much better with at 4 stroke muffler sticking down and out the cowl. Moving the throttle line is easy. But then tearing out the tank mount system was a pain, but necessary to get the center of the tank equal to the carburator. Hey, RC is not easy; would you rather do cross word puzzles or pay golf???[:'(]
The tank floor was that far off? I was thinking of sticking with the original 45° downward angle from the factory. How did you get the floor out...from inside or did you cut the outside of the fuse away? Hmmmmm.
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 03:52 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Have the Hangar 9 80" Cub, purchased used with a .61 two stroke in it. Was wayyyyy too much power for the Cub. Installed an OS .70 4-stroke and still too much power. Am planning on going with an OS.52 or a Thunder Tiger .54 4-stroke. You do not need alot of power for take-off and I rarely use what the .70 has available for flying, much less to get it off the ground. As a matter of fact it's tougher to get these Cubs to slow down with the larger engines and larger props, at idle, so you can get them BACK on the ground! You will find that even with the smaller .52 or .54 that most of the time you will be flying at reduced throttle settings and enjoying the plane.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I fly a Sig 1/5 Cub with an OS .52 and it has just about the right amount of power!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:40 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the older 80 inch H-9 Cub and fly it with a .72 Saito. Even with floats it is way plenty power, and will take off at 2/3 throttle, cruise at 1/4-1/3. I think a .56 would do a fine job, a .65 for a little more, and if you really want to be able to throttle back, the .72 will allow a scale 14 inch prop (so will the .65). anything bigger is really throwing money away. If you want to avoid cutting holes, mount it inverted, works great. If you're an OS fan, the .52 would give you scale performance, a .70 would give muy mucho performance. Any 2-stroke in the .46-.55 range would also be plenty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87817.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	473135   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42811.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	473136  
Old 06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Here is the link too our site, if you look in the gallery under "our hangar" you will find some pics of my buddies Cub. It has the saito.72 in it and you can see how he mounted it. The only thing I think he had to do was notch the top of the fuse to get the high speed needle to set in correctly. It takes off at 1/4 throttle and seems to fly forever at 1/2 throttle. I think it's just the design of the cub in general, but from half to full throttle you don't notice much increase in speed. What a blast to fly though, just slow and steady. Unless it's windy, then it turns into a wind sail. Backwards at full throttle is cool but landing it can be a real bear. You don't need alot of power, the evo.46 would prob. be perfect for it.

Shane

[link]http://colorado-rc.com/[/link]
Old 06-07-2006, 12:05 AM
CrashBurn69

I have an Evo 46 in my PNP 80" H9 Cub. It flys it great. It will haul it around good at 2/3 throttle. You can even do huge loops with the engine. Take off is this engnines only down fall. Its not enough to horse it into the air on a short take off. As long as you have a good 70 feet you will lift off just fine. If you get in a hurry and try to get it in the air, you will be sanding and covering for a few days, and trust me I know from experience. You cant get a new windshield until August, and the metal wing tubes are not for sale yet either. This is a great looking Cub and flys really sweet. Mine does not look so great after the tip stall, but after I get a little more practice with it, I will buy another.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Crashburn has a good point. Old saying on ground loops is that "there are those who have and there are those who will" You can't horse a Cub off the ground and make it before BOTH wings are ready to fly! Have been there/done that also and learned that same valuable lesson. A bigger engine won't help ya' there. Mine will tip stall in a heart beat with the OS 70 if I try and fly it off the ground before it's ready.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

Bingo, we give the one we have about 100' or more at 1/4 throttle and when it't ready it just lifts off peacefully without the dreaded cartwheel action. Sometimes smaller is better.

Shane
Old 06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
CrashBurn69

I still think it would be cool to hang a Moki 135 on the front just to watch a Cub hover lol. Planes like a UCD, where you can just firewall the throttle and be off the ground in 5 feet give some pilots bad habbits when trying to fly other models like a Cub, myself included.