Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Setting CG- hiding weights

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Setting CG- hiding weights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 AM
jawsmon
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting CG- hiding weights

I'm close to finishing a 60 size ARF J3 Cub. I'm real nose heavy and need to move the CG back. What is a good way to add weight to the rear of the fuse and have it totally concealed. Even though this is a big bird so it's not real easy getting something slid down the inside of the fuse and properly secured. I definitely don't want to add stick-on weights to the outside.

Jawsmon
Old 06-12-2006, 12:55 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Setting CG- hiding weights

You are the !st person since RC Cubs have been offered for one to come out nose heavy. Did you put on a BME 50 ?

Seriously though, you can cut an opening in front of the tail wheel mount and make a weight box to fit inside.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:26 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try using a larger airborne battery pack. You can get them with sub-C size cells, and move them to where you need the weight. Never ever use dead weight when you can use a weight that has value. You will get longer flights, and more flights between recharges. This applies whether you are balancing an ARF, or a scratch built model.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

I had a plane that was really nose heavy. I mounted my battery pack on some balsa and glued into the fuse. I used the pack to get an approximate area for the balance. Then I cut the balsa so it would sit on two formers in the fuse. I put some epoxy on the balsa and put into the fuse, making sure the battery was in the area needed for the balance.

The bad thing is when I need to replace the battery; gonna be a mess. Good thing, no dead weight. Not the best way, just my way.

p.s. I can never find your guys field up that way. I usually windup flying at a school in Anacortes, just staying high above the trees.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Fastsky

I use left over lead tire balance weights from service stations. For adding weight to the rear of the fuselage I first find out how much weight it needs to balance. Then I smear canopy glue on the weights and drop them into the rear of the fuselage one at a time and then keep the plane pointing up overnight until the canopy glue sets up. In the morning point the nose down and shake the plane to make sure that the weights have been glued solid and won't come loose. IF they stay put then your set!!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Salty25

p.s. I can never find your guys field up that way. I usually windup flying at a school in Anacortes, just staying high above the trees.
We have a couple of fields in the immediate area. One is in Lady Lake, the best one (field wise) is actually in Belleview out 110th Avenue about 4.5 miles on the left. Ocala Flying Models Club. www.ocalaflyingmodelsclub.com
PM me when you want to find them, and I will give you detailed instructions to the field/s.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-15-2006, 11:56 PM
jawsmon

Salty25

Thanks for the input.

The local flying field is off hiway 20 just past Lyman(East of I-5). There are good directions at skagitvalleyrc.com

There is another field just past coupeville on whibley island. Go to wircs.whidbeyhost.com for directions.

Jawsmon
Old 06-16-2006, 12:07 AM
jawsmon

HuskerBoy,

Did I just feel a tug on my chain....

I've got a TT 91 4 stroke. I just spoke with a guy in B'ham with the same plane and engine size....same problem..

Thanks for the input.

Jawsmon