Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

2nd Airplane

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

2nd Airplane

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
krtf4u_corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Airplane

I was just wondering if a Somethin' Extra would be a good 2nd airplane it would also be my first low wing aircraft. To tell you the experience I have got I have had a trainer for over 1 year I fly about every day and I have got over the flight jitters I fly pretty calmly. I have not wrecked an aircraft because of my flying skills except 1 I have wrecked 3 air planes 1 was a radio problem another is because of the antenna not being pulled out and I run into the power lines and I could not see them and I was way to low way to early. I have not got near the power lines sense that accident . That was the one because of my skills being low, but that was my first crash my skills have grown a lot sense then. If I don't need to get the Somethin' Extra can any of you give me some suggestions. Thanks for your time.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:19 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Airplane

Interested in building a kit? If so the SE would be a good choice....if you want an ARF, look at the Stick planes (GP Horizon, etc)...they make a good second plane.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:29 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I second the thoughts of the "stick" planes. They are very aerobatic and super fun to fly. They are reasonably tough and easy to land.

I personally favor the Ultra Stick 60 by Hanger 9 as the perfect second plane. It's pretty big, yet easy to haul and can be powered by several different engines. But I'm sure the Big Sticks by Great Planes and others are nice also. I just don't have experience with them.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-29-2006, 06:38 AM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

World Models Skyraider Mach II is a great 2nd plane. I bought one as a knock around cheap plane and it now gets flown the most out of my fleet. 70 bucks from www.airborne-models.com
Old 07-29-2006, 09:41 AM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Corsair,

I've got a Sig SE and it is great. You could probably get away with it as your second plane IF YOU SET IT UP RIGHT! This plane has large control surfaces and it is really light. If you set it up on the recommended high rates in the manual it will roll very fast and preform very tight loops. I would not try to fly it this way as your second plane. If you keep the throws low (probably lower than the recommended low rates) you can tame this plane. Either way, it slows to a crawl and you can practically land it at your feet.

Anyway, if you really like the SE I think you can set it up mild enought to make a good second plane. Then, increase the throws as your skills get better and the plane will grow with you.

Good luck!

Carl

Old 07-29-2006, 10:26 PM
young gun 2
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with blackB12, i have had i mach 2 (3rd plane) and i loved the way that it flew, definatly got me hooked on more aerobatic planes. I also hear from people that the stick is a great choice to. If i could do it again i would have chosen the stick as my second, and not my easy sport. my instructor told me he recommended the stick for years to his students. my 2 cents