Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes XPD - EDF -Is it HYPE?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes XPD - EDF -Is it HYPE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:44 PM
jrt20001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes XPD - EDF -Is it HYPE?

Hell No! This is one EDF that lives up to its hype. When Great Planes states that it is new technology developed from the ground up, they were not kidding. I have always wanted to fly electric ducted fan ARF but have not found an aircraft worth mentioning. Many EDF's are flimsy, poorly designed or whatever, and as a beginner into the field, one crash and it is back to the repair room, if you are lucky enough to find all of the pieces. But wait, this Great Planes XPD 8 not only flies as great as the video shows but it can bounce as well. My first two flights were a little shaky and both ending up having the aircraft hit the ground pretty hard. But low and behold, no damage whatsoever. After the second crash, I reprogrammed the transmitter to the recommended low rates, realigned the both ailerons again and checked and changed the CG. When this XPD was launched for the third time it was up up and away. What a wonderful flyer, fast and true to everything that Great Planes states. You only need to lightly toss this aircraft into the wind. If you throw it too hard it will not fly out smoothly and straight. My only concern and area for improvement would be that the canopy has to be hollowed out more to accept the recommended battery. Without enlarging the inside of the canopy, you cannot secure it properly. A dremel works well here but be careful that you do not end up going through to the other side. Highly recommend this EDF to everyone that wants to experience a new flying adventure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85210.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	500462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85107.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	500463  
Old 08-02-2006, 02:45 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes XPD - EDF -Is it HYPE?

thanks for the review! Sounds like a fun plane~!

you might post this again in the elctric section since many here might overlook it, doesnt seem to be a large E-crowd in this section!

good luck