Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull 540 First flights

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull 540 First flights

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 AM
tfarmer96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull 540 First flights

The Seagull 540 with a Satio 125 is a great ship. How ever i had one of the big bird fliers inspect it before flight. As always he made adjustment to the plane that i would have never thought to make and i am glad we have club members of this skill level that like to help out. This plan performs great! Flew the wings off of it on Sunday. I have about a gallon of fuel through the motor now and am real comfortable with the plane. I would highly recommend this bird.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Seagull 540 First flights

What type of adjustments did he make?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Heritage rider
My Feedback: (2)

I had a Pacific Aeromodels Edge very similar to your Seagull. Had a YS 110 so similar power to the Saito 125 you have. It flew great at speed and looked wonderful in the air. Great ke with no coupling to speak of. Held it's line well. a little down inverted(CG exactly 3 1/2" as suggested) Snap rolls so fast I could not yet stop at the right spot. (Besides, I'm not a great pilot). But it would not fly slow at all. I had to land so hot it would take about 200 feet on the fiber runway we have to stop. If it got a little too slow it would snap out with no warning. Dead stick you better be pretty high and close or you are going to be rebuilding (I did twice).

I lost the plane due to unrelated problem, mine I think. Lost all control and it went down in the dry swamp, never to be seen again.

Some have told me that their Edge (different) needed speed also and some don't. Tell me how your Seagull Edge is in the slow speed, landing and stalling department.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 AM
tfarmer96

Most of the adjustments were on my TX. He adjusted the high and low rate expo and throws. He happened to be my instructor so i seem to ask for a lot of what would you do for X and so on when putting a kit together. I tossed all of the hardware. I 540 rods with carbon fiber tubes on the control surfaces, replaced the control horns with the Dubro screw type.