Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Super Stearman and Cox(Pica) Waco

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Super Stearman and Cox(Pica) Waco

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 PM
scalemaster90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Stearman and Cox(Pica) Waco

Hey everyone, I am looking into the GP Super Stearman very seriously now and I really like this ARF.

I am young, only 15, but I have alot of flying experience and i love biplanes. I was just wondering if anyone had any problems with the building assembly and if there is anything specific i need to be aware of.

Planning on putting an O.S. 91 FX in it to start with and then later put in a YS 110 with a smoke system.

I am also looking at the Cox(which used to be Pica) Waco. If anyone has any advice on this plane too it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 10:40 PM
drone pilot

Default RE: GP Super Stearman and Cox(Pica) Waco

I don't think, that if you have assembled a few ARF's, you will have any trouble with the Stearman. Covering has a lot of wrinkles on the three I know of, but easy does it when ironing them out. A .91FX might be on the small side, I have a Zenoah G26 which is about the same power as a Saito 1.50 Four stroke and the plane flys very scale like, one of the others out here has a Saito 1.80 four stroke and is NOT over powered. When you start adding wieght, like smoke system, the .91 or even the 1.10 will be shy on power......
Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: scalemaster90

I am also looking at the Cox(which used to be Pica) Waco. If anyone has any advice on this plane too it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
It has been displayed at shows but I don't think it has been released for sale yet. So, no one really knows much outside of what Cox has published.

The 1/6 scale, 60 inch wingspan, calls for .61 2 cycle or .90-1.20 4 cycle; so the 91FX would probably be fine.

The 1/5 scale, 72 inch wingspan, calls for .91 - 1.20 2 cycle or .91 - 1.50 4 cycle; so the 91FX is at the bottom of the recommended range. One of our club members built the PICA kit of this plane. He used a RCV 91 because it fit inside the cowl better than an OS or Saito would have. He describes the flight as very scale-like. At full throttle it uses a lot of runway to take off.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:48 PM
scalemaster90

Thanks, might look at a Saito 1.50 then. I will probably put the smoke system on later.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:50 PM
scalemaster90

Thanks for the input carrel. I will keep my eyes open for it though.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:05 PM
carrellh

According to this page, it is expected on 9/15/06
http://coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006109
I think original estimates were "early summer." It probably will show up eventually, and Wacos are really good looking planes.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:50 PM
cat5752
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at this month's Model Airplane News. They just did a review on the COX Waco. Sounds good. I just bought the Super Stearman, but am finishing up a Miss America P-51, so haven't had a chance to look in the box yet. I will be putting a OS 120 in mine. The review for the WACO says it is a well put together ARF.
Andy
Old 08-12-2006, 12:32 AM
scalemaster90

Cat, let me know how you like the Super Stearman when you get to it. thanks

Carrell, yea i really love the way the Waco looks. I can't wait for that one.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't be afraid to improve the glue job on the landing gear block, and the back of the firewall like many arfs....I had a bumpy landing early on and the landing gear pulled loose with hardly any damage...there was so little glue it popped out of place, I beefed it up and epoxied it back together.....
Old 08-12-2006, 01:05 AM
scalemaster90

I know a guy that has the PT-17, and I think it has the same gear on the Super Stearman I think. I know his bounces alot on landings. Does the Super Stearman "bounce" too?? It is not a problem to me, I can deal with it.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:57 AM
cat5752
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From talking to full scale pilots, that is a phenomena known as the "Stearman Shuffle". I believe it has something to do with the landing gear system being "pre-loaded" if that makes sense. I always thought it looks cool. My fabulous friends usually make a comment like "nice landings, all 3 of them". Isn't it amazing how no one is there when you do a good one, but all are quick to chime in when you dribble it down the runway.
Andy
Old 08-12-2006, 10:11 AM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

I have the GP PT-17, converted to electric power. I didn't like the stock gear, so I had TnT Landing Gear make me a custom one out of somewhat heavier stock. I also had them bend the legs closer together to get the wheels the right distance apart, and shorten the height a bit to accommodate the right diameter wheels (5 inch) . I made my own fairings out of balsa for them.

I don't know about the stock gear, but these gear don't bounce. Of course it helps if you have some landing skills too.

I ripped the gear block out on mine once too when I had to put her down in a plowed field. The gear block has almost no glue holding it in, as it pulled out clean. Ditto for the fuel tank support.

Rick
Old 08-12-2006, 11:55 AM
scalemaster90

It definately does look like a scale landing if it does bounce a couple of times!!
Old 08-12-2006, 04:53 PM
scalemaster90

What other gas engines would fit this bird that are bigger than the Zenoah G-26?? Just trying to get a good idea.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 AM
gnx168

Does anyone know if the saito R325 5 cylinder would fit on the PT-17 ?
Also does anyone know how I can exchange my NIB GP Super steerman 1.20 for the PT-17 Military. Is anyone
interested on makeing an trade? Its NIB, all oringinal packaging, Never opened.

Thanks
Anthony