Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

changing rx'r in P51 PTS HOW DIFF?/also adding a flap servo?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

changing rx'r in P51 PTS HOW DIFF?/also adding a flap servo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:51 AM
giguchan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing rx'r in P51 PTS HOW DIFF?/also adding a flap servo?

Hello all,
I own a p51 pts.. love the plane but wondering... how hard would it be to change the receiver to match all my other planes..(sick of having to carry 2 radios) has anyone done it?
last but not least i was also wondering about adding the functional flap servo... i'm thinking that it might make a good late summer project has any done this as well? I have a little while before i graduate to flaps but i'm sure i will be ready by the wintertime.I still have the manual and have a strong idea on how to do it but i was just curious..
thanks.Giguchan
Old 08-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Dutchflyer

Default RE: changing rx'r in P51 PTS HOW DIFF?/also adding a flap servo?

Adding the flap servos is a snap. I have the ARF version, but I assume it should be outlined in your manual as well. Remove the wing and just to the left of the center line you will feel the cutout for the flap servo. I ironed down the covering around all the sides of the cutout then cut away the covering with a sharp x-acto. Remove the plastic static flap mount that sits between the wings. Remove the connecting rods from the flap arms. This you will have to put a 90 deg. bend in at the end which hooks into the servo arm .( it is well illustrated in the manual). Install the servo in the socket in the wing. Now, I connected the servo to the receiver and turned my radio on and found the neutral point of the servo. Now, I moved the servo arm forward using the TX . Disconnect servo from receiver. With the connecting linkage attached to the flaps, bring the z-bend of the connecting rods even with the hole in the servo arm . You will probably notice that the flaps are not only not flush with the wing, but not even with each other . You will have to adjust the clevices in or out as needed to keep the flaps even . Adjust them such that they are flush or ever so slightly above the wing root when the servo arm is forward( this can be adjusted out later if needed with trim or end-point adjustment). Hook linkage up to the servo and turn on TX . Check your throws. You want to get as much of the full throw of the servo arm as possible without binding up the flap . This is accomplished by adjusting the clevices position in the horn on the flap arm . Final adjustments are made with the radio via end-point adjustments ( assuming your radio is capable of that or via the clevice adjustment) . You will find that the flaps can be kept pretty even with each other in the "up" and "half" position but will fall slighly out of synch with each other when fully down . This is a result of the differing angle between the servo arm end and the flap rods as the servo swings . It is nothing to worry about and hasn't seem to affected my plane at all . In fact the plane floats with half flaps - I can't hardly imagine using the full flap . Seems if it wasn't applied gingerly, it could quickly cause a tip stall. I assigned my flaps to a slider on my radio . This way you can apply as much or little as you want . My radio beeps at the halfway ( neutral servo) point and that gives me about 21 deg. of flap - more than enough for landing or takeoffs . Hope that helps.

P.S. No need to wait until winter to do this. It probably took me as long to type this as it would to actually do it (slow typist) . If you're using the flaps in the static "down" position now, you can still use them that way. Just adjust your throw via the radio to that position and leave it there . When you're ready to use the flaps, voilla, they're ready to go and just a turn of a knob or flick of the slider away.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:32 PM
carrellh

Based on the photo on page 6 of the manual, changing receivers should be very simple.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...PTS_Lo-Res.pdf
Remove the screw that holds what looks like a plywood tray in front of the servos and unwrap the receiver from its foam padding.

I am guessing about the receiver antenna, but I would think it runs through a tube and exits near the rear of the fuselage. If so, tie a strong thread to the end of the antenna wire, before you pull it through the tube, so you’ll have an easy way to pull the new antenna wire through.

The JR servos and switch wire will plug into almost any “modern” receiver.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:47 AM
giguchan

thanks fellas......
I think i will do this for this weekend... i'll get the parts this week and take care of it... thanks for all of the help. this will make the 2nd plane i have with flaps... the first is my Lancair way too fast for me just yet.... but i have had it in the air.... what a speedy job!!(dear old dad saying) although i might put them on my cessna 182 too.... that would be cool.... love the way flaps look!!!
thanks again.... will provide pics as soon as i can...
Giguchan
Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 PM
opjose

Which TX are you planning to use?

The Slimline R700 RX included with the PTS will work with any Negative Shift TX, including JR's, Airtronics, etc.

I fly my PTS with a 10 model memory JR TX all the time.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:31 AM
giguchan

Hello,
I am planning to use a FUTABA 9C with this plane also a futaba rx'er(which i already have) what i dont have is the time to do the surgery... between work and everybody asking me favors(always on the weekends) I have not had time to swap out the receiver/crystal... so everything i use will be on ONE radio I's getting old lugging all the radios around plus my own BB. i thought i could level the playing field a little bit by narrowing all my stuff to one radio...
the plane came with the JR radio and channel 34.. which i will either sell or find some one in my club who need a set up
thanks gig