Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Super Sportster 40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Super Sportster 40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:32 PM
sowega flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster 40 ARF

I just ordered one and its on the way. This will be my "second" plane and I plan to use a GMS .47 in it. Can anyone tell me the flight characteristics of this plane? Any comments will be appreciated!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:59 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: GP Super Sportster 40 ARF

what was your first plane? trainer? if so you maybe in for more than your ready for... The sportster is a fast aerobat that is IMHO a better 3rd plane. On the ground it's not to bad as tail dragger's go... any tail dragger time yet? you'll quickly know what the rudder is for and you'll need to hold some elevator until the tail is flying... to much elevator can throw you in the air to soon and stall/snap is not far behind... it's not bad for nose overs BUT it will if you let it. The gear on the arf is a weak point and if you fly off grass or rough ground it will likely get damaged... put in a gear plate just ahead of the wing saddle and use one piece gear mounted to the fuse if your flying off rough stuff. Once in the air you'll find it a fair bit faster than your average second plane... it will do all the basic aerobatic stuff just on the fast side... it really does not like to fly very slow. landing is stable but again kinda fast... it won't bleed off speed very well so you'll need to get power down sooner than you a probably use to...you'll also need to manage your throttle much more... no cut the power and glide it in with this one... if you get it to slow it will drop a wing so watch it. All in all is a very good flying faster aerobatic plane that can be a lot of fun once you know how to handle it being your second plane I would highly recommend you have one of the more experienced pilot's test fly and trim it for ya... a little stick time on a buddy box or someone standing close by might not be a bad idea either. Your GMS 47 will provide plenty of power.

John
Old 08-15-2006, 08:12 PM
sowega flyer

John,
Now I'm scared! I am graduating from a hanger-9 solo star that I am really just bored with. It flies (flew) great...until the elevator decided to depart from the stab right after a stall turn...the result wasn't pretty
Anyway, that is the only style plane I have flown- high wing, tricycle gear.
Do you think I should put this one on the shelf and try something like a tiger2? That was my other choice before buying this one...
Old 08-15-2006, 08:20 PM
jsn

Didn't want to scare ya but I'd rather be honest than sugar coat it and have you crash The sportster can be a good 2nd plane for the right person... I can't answer if your that person or not... that said I think the Tiger II or even a Sig 4* would be a much better choice for ya if you can afford to let the sportster hang for a bit. Either plane will fly well if you still want to use your GMS 47.

John
Old 08-15-2006, 08:40 PM
sowega flyer

I appreciate your honesty! It is real easy for someone to say "Yeah! Go ahead and try it!!" when its not their money being spent. I might just have to shelve this one for a while and get the sig 4* since that is a tail dragger also...hmmm...come to think of it, I have a Tower .46 that also needs a home...

My wife is gonna put me in the dog house for buying two planes....oh well- it won't be the first time
Old 08-15-2006, 08:56 PM
jsn

The 4* is probably the best tail dragger trainer out there... you'll have a much better chance of success with it than a sportster... once your comfortable with the 4* the sportster will nice step up. I'd still have someone test fly/trim it for ya... for most people that's a good practice until your REALLY comfortable with flying... I think I had 4 maybe 5 planes under my belt before I test flew one... 30 or so planes later and more test flight's for others than I care to count and I still get nervous on test flight's

As for the dog house... you'll get use to it after 10 years of "what do you need another plane for" I've just stayed in the dog house[sm=drowning.gif]

John
Old 08-15-2006, 09:11 PM
sowega flyer

I sure appreciate you talking me off the ledge here. I think I'll get the 4* and save the sportster for when I'm really ready for it!

Oh and as for the dog house...slide over!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:37 PM
johnboyrc

I had the ss arf as a second plane. After having quite abit of sim time, it was easy for me to transition to. If you learned quick with the trainer, you may be alright, but if it took a while for you to learn, you may want something in between.
A few tips for the ss, leave the pants off until you can land without any bounce, larger wheels help in grass (3 inch wheels), and bend the landing gear forward slightly -helps to keep from nosing over in grass.