Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GiantScaleplanes Vs Nitroplanes

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GiantScaleplanes Vs Nitroplanes

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:35 AM
cyworld
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GiantScaleplanes Vs Nitroplanes

I just found two different brand name.
Both are very good price.
But I want to know that is it good product?

Buy or not to buy?

If you have one of these airplanes,please share with your comments.

Thank you
Old 08-17-2006, 02:16 AM
Rube Goldberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GiantScaleplanes Vs Nitroplanes

All I can tell you is to read the fine print, and don't be surprised to find terms of business such as "if what you got is defective, you gotta take it up with the manufacturer----we didn't make the thing, we just sell it." (What you could call the "slow boat to China" clause), and small inconveniences such as getting an RMA number for a return, and what happens when you do finally get an RMA number....case in point:

I ordered a 120 size Gee Bee from one of the Chinese ARF "pushers" in CA. I had to hound them via email and the phone to get a tracking number. Then when it finally got here with rips, tears and accordian shaped ends to the box, I opened it up only to find the fuselage was "OK'd" by the 3 quality control teams that moonlight as students at the local School for the Blind. Apparently they ran out of paint at the tail end of the fuselage. And the paint has cracks in it, all around the tail area that is deformed on the left side and has an "oil can" effect---big dent that doesn't retain its correct shape. And the fiberglass fuselage is detached from the plywood piece that you mount the rudder to.

Call the vendor, tell him what I found. Send photos via email. Discuss replacing just the fuselage...."I find you a good fuselage and call you"...fast forward a week and no call. Call them back, we decide to ship the whole kit back to CA for an exchange of another one.

Well my friend, here is the rub.

That 120 size Gee Bee is in a box that measures 18"X18"X42". If the neighbors see the FedEX guy deliver it to your door (oh, forgot to mention when you ordered the thing online you specified UPS) they'll think you got a new refrigerator. And since the vendor has a really good deal going on with the shippers due to absolute volume, it only cost about $20 for them to ship the thing to you.

But you my friend are a little guy on the consuming end. So you aren't so fortunate to be regarded in such high esteem with the shippers. This you find out when the local shipping outfit informs you that since it IS 18"X18"X42" and weighs 21 pounds, it is only going to cost you

FORTY TWO DOLLARS to ship them back the model that you, in good faith, paid them for without knowing that the 3 Quality Control teams that inspected the thing moonlighted as students at the local School for the Blind.

Simple, you think, I'll just call the vendor and suggest he send you a shipping label for the return (since he gets the good shipping rates)......"sorry, we no can do"......you even OFFER to pay for his good shipping rate of $20 instead of the $42 to return the thing and they perk up just a little. "Let me get back with you". (Editors note: don't sit and watch the clock, put off anything you really didn't have to do for the next millenium much less hold your breath)

But the real "money shot" is the fact that you WILL have the chance to get in on the vendors good shipping rates----for the return of the one you are EXCHANGING the defective one for!

So lets do some math:

Gee Bee 120---ON SALE nonetheless: $149
Shipping to you: $20
_____
Total: $169
ADD for THEIR DEFECTS $42 to ship it back
ADD for return of EXCHANGE $20
______
ACTUAL COST OF ARF $231 (that is IF you got a good one this go-round)

Opening the box and taking a look at a Great Planes Gee Bee at your local hobby shop:

PRICELESS! (Well, ok, not quite, but about $219 retail + a few DOLLARS to Uncle Sam (vs. a few yen to you know who, not to be confused with Wu)

Needless to say, somewhere in the US of A, there exists a 120 size Gee Bee at the local shipping outfit awaiting a phone call/email/smoke signal/sign of life from the vendor tonight.

Good Luck. I'm done.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:35 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GSP is in pa , they sell REAL China Model Products -if you pick them up they are a great value with tons of opporunity to add scale detail . GSP is a hobby shop distributor that really has some good guys working in the store but .... online orders have been reported with absurd shipping rates .

Nitro planes has at leaste 7 difernat operating names, the infamous is raidentech . The only time they semi care about there rep is if its sold on RCU , otherwise on ebay they change there name more then some people change there socks .They also sell CMP knockoffs . BIg differance .

AKM- is one of the best distributors on CMP planes , nice people good prices -When its comes to Rc planes made in China I only by on Ebay , you can do the following
1-read all the ranking on the seller
2)you can emial the buyers and ask them what they think of the planes they purchased
3)no surprises in shipping rates
4)save big time , I bought a seafury 66" delivered for $119 , a P47 delivered $97 both feature fiberglass fuse .
Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the best comparisons I have ever seen here. This is not like deciding on a Saito 180 or Moki 2.10. Your comparing "bad vs"worse." Should be no contest.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I ordered the GSP 80" Cap-232. It is listed for $199.00. I could not get a shipping charge on their web site so I called and the said it would be $37.00 to ship it. I got the person's name I talked to and ordered the plane. When I got the model it was in very good condition and looked very nice, but the shipping and handling charge was $80.00 on the invoice. I called them back and they said someone made a mistake and corrected the problem for me. I had to download the instructions from their web site and they where almost not worth getting. If you have every put a ARF together before this is a easy plane to build anyway. The plane did not have any decals, but the covering is very good. I hope to fly it real soon. Here is a pic on the plane. It is 90% complete.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:34 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry the pic did not take. Here it is
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75890.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	509132