Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Giant Aeromaster ARF????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Giant Aeromaster ARF????

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP Giant Aeromaster ARF????

Nice looking plane and I hear it flys well. I did a internet search on this thing and have come up "bupkiss." Is this thing a Great Planes Homemade Sport design or a Scale replica? I cannot find any history on this biplane

Update. Finally found something on GP's webpage that the plane was designed and kitted by a guy back in the 60's. From my understanding , its a sport design and not a replica of anything. Not that this takes away from its quality or great flying capabilites but looks like is only a very nice sport plane
Old 08-22-2006, 09:25 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Giant Aeromaster ARF????

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Nice looking plane and I hear it flys well. I did a internet search on this thing and have come up "bupkiss." Is this thing a Great Planes Homemade Sport design or a Scale replica? I cannot find any history on this biplane

Update. Finally found something on GP's webpage that the plane was designed and kitted by a guy back in the 60's. From my understanding , its a sport design and not a replica of anything. Not that this takes away from its quality or great flying capabilites but looks like is only a nice sport plane

Do a search here on RCU for Aeromaster ARF and you'll find stuff on it. There are one or two threads about it.

BobbyG

Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand G.P. bought the rights from Lou Andrews who originally designed it.
It is basically a plane designed for R/C with scale apearance.I have the giant ARF with a G-45,it is one of the best planes I ever flown.
Jeffo
Old 08-23-2006, 08:28 AM
rcjake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lou Andrews designed the original Aeromaster many, many years ago along with many other great sport planes and the Quick Ray 500 quickee racer. His kits were easy to build and flew great! The Aeromaster kit could be built in any of three different wing configurations!

The original Aeromaster was flown mostly with ST G-60 Blueheads in Illinois when I first started flying back in the '70s, but there were two guys in the club that lightened thes bipe and flew them with ST 46 engines! Thinking back, this must have been the beginning of modern day 3D flying because these guy would do their whole aerobatic right flight in front of themselves, slowly!

Anyway, Great Planes bought out Lou Andrews and then quit offering almost all of their kits very soon thereafter. They modified the Aeromaster (made the wings and landing gear bolt on instead of using rubber bands) and added what I considered an ugly cowl. They used the Aeromaster as an inspiration for the Giant Aeromaster, then dropped the Aeromaster and finally quit offering the Giant Aeromaster.

It is a shame that none of Lou Andrews kits are not produced anymore. H-Ray, Big H-Ray, Minimaster, Trainermaster, Quick Ray 500, Aeromaster, etc...

BTW, these kits come up on Ebay from time to time. Watch and see what they go for!