Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Is this a good combo?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Is this a good combo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:35 AM
yoster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good combo?

Ok, I'm looking for a fun plane to fly.. my 1st gas plane. I own a brushed and brushless stryker and a brushless 3d plane. I am not crazy about my 3d plane because the one I have, while it hovers nicely, doesn't have a lot of full-out speed.

So, tell me if this would be a good combo for me:

Twist 3D 40 ARF
Evolution .52NX
Futaba 6EXAS (already own).
Going to use the stock S3004 servos that came with the transmitter.. I know they're not the best but in a 40 size plane they should be ok right?

Ok how does that look? Will I get some decent straight-line speed along with hover?

Here is my other option.. going more to a sport idea:

Same transmitter/servos
Phoenix Models SeaBee Sport
SuperTigre G-51

Engine tuning won't be a problem.. I run nitro stadium trucks so am already experienced in that aspect.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. I don't want to go 4-stroke at the moment because I have a bunch of powermaster 2-stroke nitro fuel I would like to use. I think I should get enough power from the Evo or ST engines. Just want a good, fun plane that I can fly sport or have some fun aerobatically with. If you guys have ANY other ideas let me know! Thanks!

Old 08-23-2006, 03:47 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: Is this a good combo?

The Twist is not a high speed model so I wouldn't recommend that if you are looking for speed.

The Sea Bee is a fun all round model but I am not sure about its hover characteristics

Have you considered one of the "Stick" models (such as the Ultra Stick / Ugly Stick / Extreme Stick etc). Whilst they won't hover as well as a true 3d'er thay are great fun to fly and are well able to test your skill as you progress up the "Plane Chain"

I tend to prefer the Evo motor over the Supertigre but for the lower cost engines you may get other opinions such as the Tower engines (of which I have no experience at all).

The S3004 should be fine with the .40 size planes
Old 08-23-2006, 04:00 AM
yoster

Yeah I just saw some vids of the twist and it reminds me a lot of my current 3D... so I think that's out. I might go with option 2 mated with the evo motor perhaps.

OK.. how about the Super Sportster 40 MKII?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:53 PM
drone pilot

I have a Twist with a Thunder Tiger Pro.46 and 11-7 APC prop. It isn't quite 3D, but is prety aerobatic on high rates. There are faster planes, but this one is fast enough for me. One point of caution....this plane is a bit weak in the fuse right aft of the wing. Mine is the second one to snap in half making an extremely hard landing. Repaired easily though. If you fly a Stryker, you should hae a problem with the Twist.....
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 PM
aussiesteve

the Super sporster is a pretty good plane but they do tend to be quite fast on landing.

Have a look at the Tiger airframe and the Sig 4* as well
Old 08-23-2006, 06:10 PM
skiman762

I think you'll find that most and I don't mean all 3D planes are not speed planes
same for the funfly types thick wings and huge flight control limit speed