Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Models P-51 .46 Need your input.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Models P-51 .46 Need your input.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:26 PM
garywi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models P-51 .46 Need your input.

Hey Guys,

I thought I would try the warbird races and bought this recommended plane. It is made in China, and I have to admit, it looks like it. I am like wow, $189.99 for this?

Anyway, wondering what the quirks are for this arf, and the insturctions have no words, just pictures.

Are the hinges really glued in place?
I am using an OS 50. Should I mount upright or rotated? I am not buying a pitts muffler.
Can I use a heat gun on this flimsy convering?
The retracts are installed I think. Any tips?
Anything else?

Thanks!

Gary
Old 08-25-2006, 02:07 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: World Models P-51 .46 Need your input.

Dear GaryWi,
I've had two of the kits, and they are excellent models. I would say that the World Model P-51D is one of the best WWII stand off scale Mustangs .40/.46 size made. It's a floater, and this is a well balanced model in the air. It's aerobatic, but not a pitts. Like most ARF's with retractable landing gear, I would suggest beefing up the rails for the retracts. Also do a little fuel proofing inside the fuel tank area...and wheel well area. I also installed a triagular piece of stock hard balsa on the fuse to fire wall bulkhead where the fuel tank goes...in two places. I'm not a fan of their earlier mechanical retracts, but they worked...spend a little time and get your servo properly rigged to the mechanical retracts. I ended up using heavy duty Robart mechanicals and Robo struts. I'll admit I'm a little hard on my landing gear, but the stock units work well enough. The foam wheels in the earlier kits are usless and I would suggest you go with DuBro or other well made wheels. Toss out the fuel tank and put in a good DuBro or similer fuel tank...I believe I stuffed a 12 oz. in mine...but I don't remember. An OS .50 is plenty of power......maybe a bit over kill, but be ready with a touch of right rudder on take off. A good strong .32 will fly this model. All my models had inverted Fox .50's mounted with inverted headers, but I know of several in our club that flew with up right engines and side mounted engines...all flew well. Up right engines are a bit easier to fire up and tune. All of these W.M. P-51's were excellent flyers.

I have not flown any other make of .46 class P-51 other then W.M. kits. There are at least half a dozen other ones still being produced, but the W.M. issue of the P-51 is a good first choice in my opinion.

Good luck on our build and post pictures too.

Soft landings,
Bobby of Maui

Old 08-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Heavy1000

I have the rockwell one of these, and among all my planes, its one of my favorites, i have a OS 46fx side mounted with a pitts, looks real nice, initially i had it header up, but really took away from the sharp looks. ditch the foam wheels they are rubbish, as bob said, fuel proof the fuel bay and reinforce the fire wall. the installed retracts are wobbly but work well as long as the servo is set correctly, you can definately use a heat gun on the covering, i use mine all the time, because the temperature here makes it wrinkle, the cover job is really nicely done, the surfaces are already glued in place. it flies lovely, nice greaser landings are easilly done and the aerobatics are easilly done, although i struggle with kinfe edges with this plane, but that might be me. buy it you will like it.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:46 PM
MarvinE255
My Feedback: (10)

I have the Rockwell model with a os 50 mounted sideways with a pitts muffler. All the above are true. Great flier good power with the 50. If you fly off grass shim the rear mounting rail of the retracts. Try and get the axle to line up with the leading edge. This will cure the tendency to nose over on take off and taxi. You will love the way this pane flies.