Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SE and Fuel Tanks....

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SE and Fuel Tanks....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Carolina Raptor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE and Fuel Tanks....

Ok, what fuel tanks are out there that fit a SE ARF? What have you been able to install?

I put a YS 63 on mine an need a bit more than the stock tank plus I also need to make sure the tank can handle the pressure.

I have moved everything behind the wing tube so I could go another 3-4 inchs in lenght I suppose..
Old 01-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Steve Campbell2

A Sullivan ten ounce round goes in with just a little bit of whittling on the #2 former. I'm using that with my YS 63, and getting plenty of run time. I did do the strapping tape deal, though; just in case. I also made a tape "tail" to grasp, for when the tank needs to be removed. It's a tight squeeze, but it will go in there, with a bit of room left over for foam on all sides; THIN foam<G>.

There was a thread a while back where a fellow showed how he cut open the top of the compartment. Not major surgery, and there are all sorts of different tanks that would fit with that method. But unless you made the "hatch" removeable, then that would be a permanent installation.

That's why I opted for whatever I could stuff in from the radio compartment.

I'll shoot a pic for you tonight if you're interested.

Steve
Old 01-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Carolina Raptor

Picture is worth a thousand words they say.. altho a round sullivan tank ( I assume r-10) you would think would be a no brainer.

I did the strapping tape wrap on the stock tank as well. Did you add any tubing clamps inside the tank or any where to prevent air leakage? Any sealant around the stopper/tubing?
Old 01-13-2003, 04:03 PM
smokingcrater

I fitted my SE with a tank hatch on the bottom of the plane, and am glad I did. It isn't as visible as the top option, and probably quite a bit easier. The tank floor was also taken out, I just use more foam to hold the tank up..

pics are available by clicking on the SE yahoo group link in my .sig. those are from early construction and the tank floor hadn't been removed yet. (All this was kind of thought up as I went...)

retrofitting this to the ARF might be a little tougher, but still faily do-able. just slice open the bottom of the tank compartment, remove the floor, and glue in triangle stock with blind nuts. also reinforce the bottom fuel door with ca and glass fiber around the bolt holes.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:22 PM
Steve Campbell2

No, and no. I use the Prather pink fuel line; it holds up far longer than anything else. I proved this when I was running 30% nitro in my helicopters. It also seems to "grip" better than anything else I've tried.

The Sullivan and DuBro stopper systems are pretty durable. The only trouble I've experienced in that area is with the flush-fitting "slug" washer found on most el cheapo ARF tanks.

Don't be too concerned with the pressure system on YS engines. It isn't that big of a deal. You do have to pay attention to detail, but normal plumbing techniques work fine. I have over 50 flights on my 91 FZ, with a DuBro 14-ouncer and no special plumbing, fittings, etc.

These YS engines are simply the greatest. Once you get it dialled-in, there is nothing else to mess with except periodic valve adjustment. The OS and Saito four-strokes I've run all needed mixture tweaking when the ambient temperature changed significantly. I don't have enough time on the 63 yet (only one outing so far) to tell, but I haven't touched that 91 since July except to fuel it up and run it.

Which reminds me that it is probably overdue for a valve adjustment check...

Steve
Old 01-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Carolina Raptor

Just got back from my LHS, with a dubro and GP tanks, we'll see which one fits best. I have a wad of pink fuel tubing I got for my heli. Like you said it better suited for hi nitro and it does hold better than the blue stuff I have.

Ever try a header tank?
Old 01-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Steve Campbell2

NO, NO, NO! Take the GP tank back; don't even open the POS! That's the one tank Performance Specialties specifically says not to use. Remember the major problems with them a few years back? Granted, The Empire may have fixed that, but why take a chance?

Yup, I used to run headers on all of my helos, but not anymore. They are useful for certain applications, but once I learned how to tune my mixture I didn't need them anymore. I am NOT saying you don't know how to adjust mixture...<G>

I fitted one in a H9 CAP 232/Saito 150 combination, due to the kit tank being crap (big surprise; NOT) and an odd-shaped tank compartment. I used a Dubro 16 ounce and Hayes 4 ounce plumbed side-by-side. Worked great.

It will work even better with the YS. I definitely had that option as Plan B in my SE, if the Sullivan round 10 ouncer hadn't worked out.

I don't think that DuBro is gonna fit without major surgery on the former. You don't want to remove very much wood there, as it provides a lot of support to the front of the fuselage. The problem is the wing tube; it is in the way. The corners of a 10 ounce square tank just won't clear at the angle needed to insert it in the hole.

Steve
Old 01-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Carolina Raptor

Guess I should have kept that Sullivan after all, but then again you can never had enough tanks lying around, right?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:16 PM
Steve Campbell2

Right!<G>
Old 01-15-2003, 01:28 AM
raven7usa
My Feedback: (7)

Default Sig SE

Carolina Rapter, A Sullivan RST 12 oz. will fit with some minor surgery. Got a 12oz. in my SE. It requires removing the top hatch to put the tank in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47372_12299.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	29126