Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
turboratt89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar-9 Sopwith Camel Build Thread

good info
Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
pkf3
My Feedback: (16)

Thanks for the advice and info from everyone. Had time to step away from the Camel, re-think and re-engage. After a little reworking and heeding the advice of those that responded to my post, I was able to shave 13 ounces of dead weight off the plane. I could probalby remove another ounce or three but will wait until the maiden to determine how much more to remove. Here a couple of pics of all the lead before and after removal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70163.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1585115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68757.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1585116  
Old 03-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: pkf3

Thanks for the advice and info from everyone. Had time to step away from the Camel, re-think and re-engage. After a little reworking and heeding the advice of those that responded to my post, I was able to shave 13 ounces of dead weight off the plane. I could probalby remove another ounce or three but will wait until the maiden to determine how much more to remove. Here a couple of pics of all the lead before and after removal.

Much better. A heavier engine would remove more lead, plus you could run a more scale prop. If you look way back on the Hanger 9 Fokker DVII ARF Build Thread, I started with a Evolution .61NT and a bunch of lead in the weight box. I kept having cooling problems with the engine, and then it seemed my engine started loosing power, no matter how I adjusted my mid-range, or how many exit air holes I carved in that darn thing. Then one day, I lost a prop in mid flight and killed the engine for good on a hot summer day.

So I went out and got the O.S. and I haven't had a problem in 2 years since I changed the engine. When I switched it over to the O.S. I wound up getting rid of even more lead. Now pretty much I only have a a 1/2 ounce, where when I began I had 2 ounces.

It's Ok to put a heavier and more powerful motor, I just wouldn't recommend putting in anything bigger than a .91 or 1.20 in it. After that, the weight factor of the plane might be too much for plane.

Hey, does anyone have a Clerget I can use? It's getting hard for me to find any parts for my Oberursel.

Pete
Old 04-09-2011, 04:57 PM
pkf3

I finally ran my engine today. Fired up first time and ran nice and smooth. I ran around two tanks thru it.....you know.....it's amazing how well an engine will run when you remember to attach the pressure line to the muffler...go figure. I hope to maiden it in the near future. it has been too darn windy since the end of winter. I do not believe it would fly well in 30-60mph winds.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: pkf3

I finally ran my engine today. Fired up first time and ran nice and smooth. I ran around two tanks thru it.....you know.....it's amazing how well an engine will run when you remember to attach the pressure line to the muffler...go figure. I hope to maiden it in the near future. it has been too darn windy since the end of winter. I do not believe it would fly well in 30-60mph winds.

You are correct, I wouldn't fly in wind gusts no more than 6 mph because you are unfamiliar with the aircraft. I would maiden it however, when the winds are hardly blowing. I maidened my Hanger 9 Fokker DVII late in the day late Spring 3 years ago about 7:00pm. (I remember it well)

At Upstate NY the winds die down around 5:30-7:00pm even on windy days here most of the time. It's rare that we have no winds, but we do have days the winds only gust up to 4-6mph and my plane handles it OK.

If the winds hit around 8mph, it gets tricky and very bumpy. In those conditions it's almost impossible to trim the plane out.

Hope you send pics or video of your first flight. It's bad luck to wish good luck, so I'll just say," Keep your wings level!"

Pete
Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM
tclaridge

And always try to take off and land into the wind. This plane does not like a cross wind. The old aerodrones where just big open grass fields for this reason. Not really a fixed direction runway so you could always adjust for wind. Wing walkers were used for taxi due to lack of good ground handling.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

A gyro on the rudder will eliminate most if not all of the planes handling issues on the ground.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM
jasona

On the take-off run, mine went straight as a die without any rudder input!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

ORIGINAL: jasona

On the take-off run, mine went straight as a die without any rudder input!
That's nice to hear, its too bad it does not apply to all the rest of us. With a 01/19 runway & a pretty constant west to east crosswind its unlikely that any plane will takeoff without rudder input.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 PM
portablevcb

Nice to hear this thread is still running.

I had looked around for a new home for my ST .90 diesel and found the Camels still being sold so picked on up. Will be assembling it this weekend and hopefully fly sometime next week. Then will see if I want to detail it a bit.

And thanks for all the building tips. Will come in handy I think

charlie
Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM
CloudSkipper

Hi,

I've finally gotten around to completing assembly.

Regarding the landing gear: Two of the O-rings snapped as I was pre-stretching them. What are some of the alternatives that you guys are using?

I recall someone mentioning hair elastics for example.

Today I tested a hair elastic for strength. I doubled it on itself (otherwise it's too long) and tried hanging a 6 kg dumb bell from it several times. It held up without breaking. Judging from how easily those two Hangar9 O-rings snapped in my hands, there's no way the O-rings would hold up 6 kg.

Any other ideas for replacing the O-rings?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
jasona

ORIGINAL: CloudSkipper

Hi,

I've finally gotten around to completing assembly.

Regarding the landing gear: Two of the O-rings snapped as I was pre-stretching them. What are some of the alternatives that you guys are using?

I recall someone mentioning hair elastics for example.

Today I tested a hair elastic for strength. I doubled it on itself (otherwise it's too long) and tried hanging a 6 kg dumb bell from it several times. It held up without breaking. Judging from how easily those two Hangar9 O-rings snapped in my hands, there's no way the O-rings would hold up 6 kg.

Any other ideas for replacing the O-rings?
Yeah, that happened to me: The O-rings are a bit crap. Just normal rubber bands are fine: That's what I've seen others on here using.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
CloudSkipper

Yeah, that happened to me: The O-rings are a bit crap. Just normal rubber bands are fine: That's what I've seen others on here using.
I still haven't found an elastic of any kind that is the right size. They all fit much more loosely than the O-rings (even when doubled).

With the rubber bands you've used, is the shock absorbing a lot softer than what the O-rings would have provided?

Cheers
Old 04-15-2011, 06:42 PM
portablevcb

This is kinda nice. Haven't built an ARF for quite a while. This one seems well put together and goes together easily.

Is there any advantage to using the motor mounts that came with the kit? I already have a nice Al one for the diesel that will work.

I assume the fuel tank is ok for gas? Or does everyone change out the plug and lines? (it has the 'black' plug)

charlie
Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: CloudSkipper

I still haven't found an elastic of any kind that is the right size. They all fit much more loosely than the O-rings (even when doubled).

With the rubber bands you've used, is the shock absorbing a lot softer than what the O-rings would have provided?

Cheers

The rubber O- Rings are fine on my Hanger 9 Fokker and they work very well. The only reason why mine broke before is the landing gear where the O-Ring attaches had metal burs, and the edges were sharp. I took a Dremal and smoothed all the edges and made sure there was no burs and I haven't had a problem yet.

They stamp out these parts out so fast they don't take the time to file anything down that might be sharp. The Camel landing gear looks a little different than the Fokker's landing gear, but I would still check for any sharp edges that the O-ring might rub against.

Originalortablevcb

This is kinda nice. Haven't built an ARF for quite a while. This one seems well put together and goes together easily.

Is there any advantage to using the motor mounts that came with the kit? I already have a nice Al one for the diesel that will work.

I assume the fuel tank is ok for gas? Or does everyone change out the plug and lines? (it has the 'black' plug)

charlie

I believe the answer is no, the tank, plug and lines is not made for a gasoline setup, that you will have to buy on your own. If your plane came with a Hanger 9 aluminum motor mount, I'd use it because it will help with the nose weight. But if your gas engine doesn't fit then I would use what ever would work for your engine and do what ever you need to make it work.

On my short nosed warbirds, I run glow engines and I usually buy the the Hanger 9 Aluminum Motor Mounts for them, even if my aircraft is a Hanger 9 or not.

The aluminum mounts are strong, easy to adjust, and it adds a little more weight to the nose. That's a good thing because this plane is weight hungry in the nose, and with the aluminum motor mount- less lead will be needed later on.

Pete
Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 PM
portablevcb

Thanks, I'll change out the plug and clunk line. That tank is huge.

So, I will go ahead and use the Al mount that I already have. Just have to drill new holes in it to put the motor further out. I have to drill new holes in the firewall anyway since I have a Pitts type muffler instead of the big cans (the original on the ST didn't work very well anyway.

charlie
Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: portablevcb

Thanks, I'll change out the plug and clunk line. That tank is huge.

So, I will go ahead and use the Al mount that I already have. Just have to drill new holes in it to put the motor further out. I have to drill new holes in the firewall anyway since I have a Pitts type muffler instead of the big cans (the original on the ST didn't work very well anyway.

charlie

You might want to consider this before you start drilling. I bought this for my O.S. 91FX-Ringed that's now in my Discontinued Great Planes .60 Fokker DR1. It's longer and can take the bigger engine.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN2033

Just a suggestion,

Pete
Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 PM
portablevcb

Already done

It's the mount that Bob Davis has. Not two piece, one piece. Already got it aligned, offset rigged and bolted up. Bottom bolts are a pain cause they are just above the fuel tank tray.

The Super Tigre .91 fits like a glove. Even the slightly larger diesel head is contained within the cowl. The Pitts style exhaust comes out right at the undercut of the cowl.

Got the fuel fill fitting mounted.

Down to the nitpicky parts. Setting up controls and rigging.

FWIW, even though the rear cabanes were a bit off, once everything was setup the wings were straight as can be. They must have fixed the instructions at some point. Also, all the rigging is set up properly with correct tabs and all. Gotta do something about the tail rigging. It looks clunky.

Once I fly it a bit will decide if I want to redo it more scale or leave it as a 'beater'.

charlie
Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: portablevcb

Already done

It's the mount that Bob Davis has. Not two piece, one piece. Already got it aligned, offset rigged and bolted up. Bottom bolts are a pain cause they are just above the fuel tank tray.

The Super Tigre .91 fits like a glove. Even the slightly larger diesel head is contained within the cowl. The Pitts style exhaust comes out right at the undercut of the cowl.

charlie
Charlie, could you post some pictures of your engine, please? I have a new Super Tigre .91 I might want to try in this plane.

Bruce
Old 04-17-2011, 07:57 PM
portablevcb

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Fits nicely.

charlie

Name:	If10779.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1595493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10463.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1595494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57039.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1595495  
Old 04-18-2011, 03:42 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pictures.

Bruce
Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
crashgoodly

hey jasona.. long time no hear. i finaly found an dr1 it's an powerline 51 incher ep blasa and ply. i picked it up in toledo for 200.00 bucks pnp it's not bad. how's the camel flying?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:17 AM
jasona

ORIGINAL: crashgoodly

hey jasona.. long time no hear. i finaly found an dr1 it's an powerline 51 incher ep blasa and ply. i picked it up in toledo for 200.00 bucks pnp it's not bad. how's the camel flying?

Crashgoodly! So good to hear from you! I was wondering...

I've flown the Camel, the account of it is on page 40 of this thread near the bottom of the screen. Have a look - I mention you in the text twice!

Well done on securing a DR1!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
crashgoodly

congrats

ORIGINAL: crashgoodly

Crashgoodly! So good to hear from you! I was wondering...

I've flown the Camel, the account of it is on page 40 of this thread near the bottom of the screen. Have a look - I mention you in the text twice!

Well done on securing a DR1!
congrats on the maiden jasona. it is a beauty in the air. i was shocked when i read that the auto is still in the shop. i built a new turbine this winter and worked on a friends new one. our field opens tomorrow so i've got some testing to do.my camel is going up tomorrow then the dr1. glad your camel didn't get hurt. i lost an f22 due to a bad battery last year. i didn't lose it it was just unrecognizable when i got to it. her's apic of the new dr1. i'm still looking for a good square headed pilot but so far rectangle is as close as i've gotten. he must be pure blood when i blow his ass out of the sky with my camel. BTW i'm shooting the cowl white as red is not proper to the model neither is the open cowl but in white it will do as the target.

Name:	Jh14466.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	1596172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65094.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	1596173  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:12 AM
pkf3

My finished Camel. No maiden yet....was going to give it a try today but the winds were already 15+ mph and gusting when I got up early this morning.

Name:	Us54208.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	1612810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11546.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	1612811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71663.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	1612812  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.