Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pheonix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Anyone has installed the DLE20 on this airplane? If so, can you provide pictures of the throttle linkage setup?

Ameyam
Old 05-01-2011, 10:30 AM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If Nolefan1961 is right about the fuel tank issue being to far forward, (and I think he is) then there would be room forward of the tank about two inches wide (or more if you decide to try this) so that you could mount a small servo tray right behind the firewall for your throttle and choke servo's. It is what I was thinking of doing with my rcgf 15 should I decide to use it. This way the rod lengths are short and no issues with the fuel tank. Since you are adding weight with the servos and tray then you can move the tank even a little farther back. In mine there seems to be plenty of room to do this. Just need skinny hands to mount.???
What do you think, good idea or bad?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 AM
ameyam

Well, my hands wont go in for sure

Ameyam
Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 AM
dmoody19

LOL.... I will have my grandson help
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 PM
nrad2000

I have an OS FS91 surpass III with pump. it is installed as described in the manual. I didn't check lateral balance but with this engine the airplane became Right Heavy. Everytime I came out of a loop or slowed down enough the right wing always dropped. had buddy fly my plane and he too said my plane is quirky. At the field another buddy picked up my plane from nose to tail and he said I found your problem. it is Right Heavy. I added 24grams of lead on the Left wing tip and boy does the plane fly differently. Easier to handle, tracks much nicer, and lands great. I rarely take this plane out to the field because it has been a pain to fly but now I'm taking it out everytime. thought I share this for those who think this plane fly's squirly and had strange habbits.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM
reaaz

Hmmm. I just maidened mine with a YS 91 AC on a 14x10 prop... Your right, I have forgotten to laterally balance it & you do feel it in loops etc..
However, its quite a snarling beast on that engine, hot damn.. It is a keeper. I took a few steps to lighten it up during the build, so it a floater as well! Maybe I'll post some pics later
Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 AM
ameyam

Will a OS FS91SII non-pumped version be able to fly this airplane? I was originally going to set it up with a 120ax for 3d etc, but there are only 4-5 weeks left in the season meaning only 4-5 days flying is possible. I dont want to open up a new engine for it now. The 91 is on another airplane and mostly unused recently as I have been flying the Reactor 46. I noticed that it is starting to gunk up slightly and so would prefer to keep it in use till the monsoon starts (With no flying in the monson, I will put in after-run or light machine oil and put it into storage in a sealed box). Accepted it may not be able to hover the airplane, I am looking for a decent, easy to fly and relaxing sunday flier with no bad habits for now

Ameyam
Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Wrangler1

Hi, yes the 91 wil fly it very well, not to do 3D. Mine have a .91 4 stroke non pumped and fly very good and for me have plenty of power. I like to fly as real scale as i can.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 AM
ameyam

I am planning to put together the Extra 330s with a FS91SII in a couple of days. Though I love to harrier, hover etc, I know that this is not a 3D airplane with this engine. I plan to practice with it to "learn" the airplane till the monsoon sets in from beginning of june, then restart with it in October and finally put in a 95 or 120 when I am comfortable (or bored) with it. So till then it will be my Sunday flier

So couple of questions:

1) Does this airplane have any bad tendancies that I need to look out for? Since the excess power in the 91 4C is limited, it will be difficult to get out if the airplane tipstalls or something

2) I dont know of an Extra of similar size on Realflight to help me limber up or practice at home. Which airplane should I use to practice on the sim? I have all the expansion packs (1 to 7)

Ameyam
Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 PM
nrad2000

I'm flying mine with the OS FS 91SII with pump. Master Air Screw 14x6. Cool Power 20/20 4 stroke pattern fuel. With this set up I can hover but I cannot pull out of it. I have the engine installed the way the manual describes. The airplane becomes Right Heavy lateraly. I ended up adding 20g of weight to the tip of the Left wing. For a while I couldn't figure out why my plane keeps dropping the right wing after a loop. It acted really squirly and never tracked straight. After adding the weight to the wing tip it fixed the problem. loops are now big and round. no funny tendencies. point it and it goes. awesome.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 AM
ameyam

Good. That really covers everything that I wanted to know except the gas setup. I am ordering a DLE for this airplane shortly. Is it suitable?

Ameyam
Old 05-20-2011, 12:00 AM
ameyam

I am just finishing with the Extra Build. Have fibreglassed the fuse and all and a number of strengthening measures. Am still to setup properly, I will post oictures on Sunday after the maiden.

Just a small question- I received the stock tank with broken plumbing. Someone gave me a 16oz tank. Wont it be too much? I am short of power since I am using a FS91SII for the time being. Fo the same reason, I used 2.75" foam wheels insetad of the originally planned 3.5" rubbers

Ameyam
Old 05-20-2011, 05:21 AM
dmoody19

Lots of guys here use from 16 to 24 tanks because the baby tank they sent with the model is too small.. With that you would only get 3 or 4 min run time (as stated by  many on here). I did the same as you and just finished mine with a 20 oz tank because I used my webra 120.  Good luck and let us know how she fly's for you...  I also did a few mods. I had to reinforce the servo board because it flexes too much and is just cheesy. For the elevator I modified it to work with just one 188 oz torque mg. servo. This worked great and it eliminated the issues guys had with making the elevator halves match (because of placement of the second servo being off from the first).
Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 PM
ameyam

Well, I setup the airplane with a 320cc GP tank I had spare. Did put spring washers everywhere. Tri-stock in all places I could reach. Fibreglassed the firewall and LG block with 7mil cloth and lots of epoxy. Dapped epoxy with nearly 50% microbaloon fillers into all the servo screw holes, let it dry and then put in the screws. Nylock nuts on the 3 firewall screws I could reach with the screwdriver. Nylock nuts on the LG axle as well and I used CA on one of the nuts where the threads were stripping and nylocks on the other side. Since I have a smaller engine for now, I used 2.75" Dubro diamond foam wheels. Hitec 5635MG servos (these are ment to be used on a AW Yak 120 later, testing them on this airplane) on ailerons and elevator. Hitec 475HB on rudder. Used expxy with 50% filler on the rudder and elevator mounting as well (earlier my mentor had done this with 5 min epoxy and I could see gaps, so I filled them in with 30 min epoxy with fillers)

Couple of things I am not happy with

1) The pull-pull rudder setup. Even though I have crimped the piano wire well and adjusted a lot at the time of assembling, the right wire seems to be loose and I have to go nearly all the way in with the clevis at the servo to get some tension in it. Even then the rudder remains deflected to the left. I am going to open up the clevis at the rudder and try and tighten. I never wanted to go with piano wire, wanted to use throttle cable instead but was overruled by my mentor
2) The two elevator halves dont deflect the same amount. I have them on channels 2 and 7 (I think). I have to delve into the Futaba 9c programming to adjust the ATV to get them to deflect the same.

I usually fly straightline (no expos) on my airplanes. Here, I am concerned with the highly tapered wings that I may cause a snap. What amount expos to add?

Ameyam
Old 05-21-2011, 03:46 AM
maynardrupp

ORIGINAL: ameyam
Couple of things I am not happy with

1) The pull-pull rudder setup. Even though I have crimped the piano wire well and adjusted a lot at the time of assembling, the right wire seems to be loose and I have to go nearly all the way in with the clevis at the servo to get some tension in it. Even then the rudder remains deflected to the left. I am going to open up the clevis at the rudder and try and tighten. I never wanted to go with piano wire, wanted to use throttle cable instead but was overruled by my mentor
2) The two elevator halves dont deflect the same amount. I have them on channels 2 and 7 (I think). I have to delve into the Futaba 9c programming to adjust the ATV to get them to deflect the same.

I usually fly straightline (no expos) on my airplanes. Here, I am concerned with the highly tapered wings that I may cause a snap. What amount expos to add?

Ameyam
I use 40% expo on all three. That seems to smoothen this quirky little fellow out some. I also reduced elevator travel considerably. To set this I would do a full up loop and reduce the elevator throw until the diameter of the loop was normal. The reason I did this was to corect this airplane's constant problem with tip stalling and snapping out of maneuvers.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:38 AM
nrad2000

start over witht the piano wire if it has too much slack. Mine I can push/pull the wire 4 - 5mm and I think that is plenty taught.

I have about 20% expo on mine. too much and the plane will suddenly react to the controls when you pass certain point on the stick. I guess the best would be linear - but my fingers are not that soft to the touch.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:45 AM
dmoody19

Your issues ameyam are why I made the elevator become a one piece elevator and it works well. I used a 1/8 piece of metal rod which Iformed to fit about 1 1/4 inch deep into each half. I drilled a hole in the port side to insert the rod after making sure my bends were perfect. Then I cut half way through the stbd and took out a small chunk of the wood to lay the rod in place on that side. I filled up the port with 30 min epoxy and the same for the stbd in layers untl I had a perfect fit to refit the wood I removed to get the rod into place. For anyone that isn't a pro this works very well. I never have to worry about the halves now they are exactly the same in movement. Might sound strange but it does work very well. Just needed a good quality MG to handle the load. The wire is wierd for the pull pull also. it just takes time to get it perfect. Ihad the same issue for a while and when I finally got it where it worked well I noticed my servo tray flexing like crazy. This is why Iused some plywood to reinforce it from the tray to the bottom and to the sides as well to give it some strength and stop the flexing. The servo tray is really cheesy Iwonder how many have issues with it flexing or breaking in half when flying. I cannot imagine it staying together for heavy 3d flying.
Anyway just talking so I will be quiet for now. Have a great time with it.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
rmsingh

dmody19, can you post a photo of your elevator setup?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:59 AM
dmoody19

Iwill draw it out for you and post it in a little while possibly tomorrow...
Old 05-21-2011, 01:01 PM
ameyam

I just finished setting up for possibly maiden tomorrow andi its 2.30am local time!

There wasnt much difference between the elevator deflection, that was just perceived. I did have to adjust the clevis (we didnt do the ball link setp because the box I got did not have all the parts needed) for one elevator to ensure they match at neutral and the deflection was sufficiently symmetrical for a maiden and sports flying. Inly thing, the stock deflection on all the surfaces with the TX set to 100% was HUGE! I had to actually set the dual rates to 50% even on the highest setting to limit the deflection. I went with triple rates for aileron and elevator with medium and high rates as per the manual and low rates set a bit lower for my "startup flying". All three rates are on seperat switches so that if I am uncomfortable with any one, I can set it to low. Since this is a lighter engine, I had to add weight to the tank area to balance. Also, its laterally unbalanced and I dont have weights now, so I pushed the nose weight to the lighter side. Put the 2.75" spinner I eventually plan to use but no cowl. Strapped the RX to the battery tray with some reusable nylon cable tie. (+)10% expos both sides and on all rates. This is the first time I am using expos on any airplane. Had to wrestle a lot with the rudder clevices to align in and it seems to be OK now

It took me 3 days x 4 hours daily to set her up the way I want after we had made the initial setup. Yet not sure whether my mentor will be there tomorrow to maiden and stand by me when I fly her initially. Lets hope for the best, will post pics after the maiden. Good night for now

Ameyam
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
dmoody19

These pics show you the way Iset up for single servo. Keep in mind I am not doing heavy duty 3d and do not claim to know if this will hold up but I do not see why it wouldnt as long as you have a good mg servo with much torque. I have no issues with this setup whatsoever. I did describe it backwards though. The biggest thing is to get the metal wire/ tube bent perfectly and inset perfectly to have both halves lined up correctly. As you can see the bottom of the port side has a rectangle cut out of it. THis cut was hallf way through the area and then I took out enough material on the inside for the 1/8th wire to sit in its groove well. once it is done Idrilled out the opposite side following the natural angle of the elevator. Note also that you have to take more material out of the tail section where the stabilizer fits in order for the metal to not bind up when moving. Ilaid the stabilizer/ elevator out on a flat surface. made up 30 min epoxy once i was sure my bends were good. I took a little material out of the elevator where the wire lays in order for it to not bind when moving also. Then filled the hole I drilled with the epoxy and inset the wire into it. Then rechecked my angle, put 30 min epoxy where the rectangle cutout is. Then laid the wire/ tube in place and epoxy over it. I let that setup and then rechecked the alignments and made sure the elevator had one solid feel to it with no movement against the wire. Then I layered more 30 min epoxy until the rectangle I cut out and shaved would fit nicely back into place.
Thats it. I will send more pics with arrows etc if you need them. Good luck with it. I am open to critics if important. But try it before you decide it wouldn't work as it works great for me.
Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88140.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1614007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13822.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1614008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82041.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1614009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85877.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1614010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95248.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1614011  
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 AM
rmsingh

Thanks for the pictures!! Good work. I will try to get my elevators to align 1st (already installed both servos). IfI can'tI'll try it your way.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Wrangler1

Hello people, i took my time to find a way to make an exhaust extension to my ASP .91 4 stroke engine. Since all the things i tried before didn't work i talked to a friend who's is a rc helicopter and car enthusiast and he told me he was thinking of 3 different solutions. I told him that i prefer the extension to be removable because of the way the muffler installed with the manifold. Here i show the result wich i think is a great solution that he made for me.

I'll post more photos later to see how it looks installed.

Name:	Kh17490.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1615017   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43599.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1615018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72295.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1615019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43534.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1615020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al72025.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1615021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59067.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1615022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik91927.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1615023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt68365.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1615024  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc56340.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1615025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp73500.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1615026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy98893.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1615027  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

That's very slick... Wish that such things were available for purchase.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Wrangler1

Well people is almost midnight, and i just finished the installation of the new muffler deflector on my extra 330S with the ASP .91 4 stroke. i Hope this fix the problem that i had with the muffler and part of the fuselage. Well enough with the chit chat, and below are the photos.

Name:	Vs55635.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1615512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66800.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1615513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43137.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1615514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53636.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1615515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76518.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1615516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cs15756.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1615517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw43007.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1615518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fe13837.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1615519  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx40281.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1615520  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.