Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

My hangar 9 P51 is a total piece of junk!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

My hangar 9 P51 is a total piece of junk!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 01:48 AM
lookinup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AZIZZA

Is there anyway I can tell If I have a fuelproof cowl. I just got my mustang and am not very good with a spray can So I don't want to spray it if not needed.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:52 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default My hangar 9 P51 is a total piece of junk!!

Serge1...I thought you threw it out????
Old 01-25-2003, 03:22 AM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by P-51B
Serge1...I thought you threw it out????

Ya But I put it back in the garage waiting for the new cowl....
I have ordered a Kangke laser 2000 to ease my pain....

Serge
Old 01-25-2003, 03:29 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

So much for credibility.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:42 AM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by P-51B
So much for credibility.
Bla bla bla..

Serge
Old 01-25-2003, 03:45 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone takes an ARF and builds it as is, it will be junk. Most of my fleet is Arfs. I modified as necessary as i built them. Firewalls, ribs, gear. Shoot, that WM P51 of mine that went in at 100mph still had the retracts mounted in the slots! Of course the slots were 50 feet away from the ribs but they held. I have the hangar 9 in the box and cannot wait to get going on it. Stuffing a saito 150 in it. So it will be ready for it.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:13 AM
kwelz
My Feedback: (6)

Default Re: AZIZZA

Originally posted by lookinup
Is there anyway I can tell If I have a fuelproof cowl. I just got my mustang and am not very good with a spray can So I don't want to spray it if not needed.
I soaked a q-tip in Fuel and then rubbed it in an area that won't show. I persoinally used the very front of the cowl that ends up covered by the spinner.

First one ran like water. Second one withstood actually scrubbing of the area.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:19 AM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

I've had numerous H9 ARFs starting with the original smaller CAP, the the 33% Extra, and now the 33% Cap. They've all had some problems. Mostly crappy landing gear.

My Extra had some problems with fit and finish and the infamous airleron flapping. I busted the gear the second flight without much effort.

However, H9 was very good about the problems with the Extra and helped me into one of the new Caps that had corrected many of the Extra's problems.

In any case, I could not have built these planes as nice as they came from H9. I make sure I do some extra glueing on all key joints I can reach. I always reinforce the firewall and expoxy the surfaces, and usually put on TNT gear.

Despite the problems with the Extra, I'm still flying it and it's a sweet plane. I lighted the airlerons, replaced the gear and made a few other changes. I should not have had to do this, but, like I said H9 did thier part to make things right.

I have the P-51, and it's a sweet looking plane. I will clear coat the cowl, adjust the gear wire, install a set of Robostruts, reinforce the firewall, and go fly the hell out of one darn nice looking plane. It beats spending a year or more of my spare time to get something that would look 3/4 as good and would make me really cry if it crashed.

Say la vie!

Regards,
Lee Snover
Old 01-25-2003, 05:39 PM
F.Ciccarello
My Feedback: (60)

Default ARF's

Cyclic Hardover...............

I agree with you. I think most ARF flyers are not builders.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:27 PM
warplaneinsane

While I agree with most of the comments here, I must take issue with the statement that most fellows flying arf's are not builders.
I for one, love to build, right now, I have a dynaflite spitfire on the bench, and a Bob Dively 33% Pitts on the way, with a Balsa USA 1/4 PUP waiting it's turn. However, I also own a fleet of ARF's
What it comes down to mostly, is that for we pilots that have to balance Career, family, community, and flying, it often boils down to choosing between time to spend building, time to spend flying.
I just find it unacceptable, for any reputable company, to consistantly distribute ARF's that require many hours of modifications/beefing up, in order to safely be operated within the scope of the advertised performance data.
If for instance, IF H9 advertised an IDEAL power plant for their 33% aircraft as being the Zenoah GT-80, and I as the owner/ pilot decide to cram a DA-150 in the nose, then It would be my fault, not H9's, if I did nothing to reinforce the firewall, and as a result, I lost the aircraft.
In The incedents I mentioned in the above post regarding H9 ARF's, all three aircraft were being flown exactly within their reccomended specifications, powerplant wise, and were assembled to the letter of their assembly manuals. The bottom line is that when a company like H9, gives a projected assembly time of say, 15-20 hrs, and you equip the aircraft with exactly within the reccomended specs, IE: engine/sevos/etc, Then why should have to worry about the aircraft failing, unless you INVEST another chunk of your valuable time reinforcing and modifying critical stuctures that should be able to handle the advertised specs. in the first place?
Shoddy workmanship and poor quality control are the culprits here. Does it matter how sharp that mustang looks, will it still look that sharp in a trash can?
Firewall failures, wing failures, tail feather failures, are all common maladies of H9 arf's. Yes they do a have super customer service dept. They need one!
Let me know what you think,
Steve
Old 01-25-2003, 07:32 PM
lsnover

I would also agree to disagree. ;-)

I love to build as well. But, it's a matter of time and priorities. I love to fly more than I love to build. In the ages BC (Before Children), I had much more time to build and did so. Now with family and other committments, it's simply a choice I do not have.

Also, I HATE spending gobs of time on a beautifull model and then ditching it. It's not the money, it's the time and personal investment. I "enjoy" flying an ARF more, because I'm less worried. I know I can go out and replace it in a few days for "X" dollars.

I fly much more conservatively with the planes that I've built by hand. It just breaks my heart to crash one of these, now more then ever.

Regards,
Lee Snover
Old 01-25-2003, 08:46 PM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Cry Babies--- I had one and loved it. Sure it has some small issues. Get over it. Repaint the Cowl and repair the covering. We should be so luck to have ARFs. Just think what it would cost to build kit and have it turn out like this. I do agree that there are some bad ARF companies out there and I have called to get a cowl for an aiplane. I just don't think this kind of crying on the forum is needed. Do you expect these planes to hold together through rough landings and other mistakes that YOU make. I am sorry about ranting. I sold my H9 Mustang last fall and am still pissed off for selling it. Super flying plane. Just my 2 cents.

www.ros********.com
Old 01-25-2003, 10:23 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Hi guys,
I have a H9 P-51 and just love it. I first got rid of the stock retracts and put in some Robert Mighty Mini 550's. I added some Robart 440 P-51 style Robostruts. I also put on the Robart scale P-51 tires. The gear is rock solid. I also added a Robart retractable tail wheel unit. Next I put the Hitec digital wing servos in the horizontal stabilizer, one on each side for each elevator. I reinforced the firewall and mounted an inverted ST .90 with a glow driver. It's one sweetheart of an airplane!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	50218_425.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	30643  
Old 01-25-2003, 10:26 PM
booker-RCU

Default Full retracts

Next Pix

Name:	50220_425.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	30644  
Old 01-25-2003, 10:38 PM
booker-RCU

Last Pix

Name:	50221_425.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	30645  
Old 01-25-2003, 10:49 PM
mikerc

Looks great. See it isn't that hard to add a couple of mods.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:39 PM
warplaneinsane

Not trying to sound like a crybaby. And Booker, that's a mighty fine lookin pony ya got there son. But, with all the parts, time and money you've put into it, it's hardly the airplane that H9 sold you. Maybe if they called them SRF's I would'nt be as irritated as I get. "Sorta" Ready to fly!!! Maybe if all ARF's suppliers offered the same aircraft in a ARC version, (as some do), so those that wished to modify/fortify them would have easier access, that would be an option.
Another way I look at it, is when you buy an ARF, your paying someone to build it for you. Does'nt the H9 P-51 cost roughly twice what a Topflite P-51 kit costs? Would you be Irrate if you Hired someone to build a topflite P-51 for you and the airframe failed on the 1st flight? You betcha!
Old 01-26-2003, 12:06 AM
mikerc

Let me know who will build a TF P-51 for $250.00. I will surely go to them.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:19 AM
warplaneinsane

That's exactly the point. We can't find someone to build a TF for 250.00. That's a given. But when we are paying the premium to buy a P-51 In arf form, should'nt we have a right to expect that the work done on the model as it comes out of the Box be quality? OR, should we just expect that the work is going to be shoddy and accept that as a given also ?
Steve
Old 01-26-2003, 12:44 AM
F.Ciccarello
My Feedback: (60)

Default ARF's

Steve.
I agree with your way of thinking to a point. However I think that if a person is an experienced builder he or she would make modifications as necessary to insure a safe airframe.

ie: firewall failure, landing gear problems, tail feather failure, so on. Just fix it befor it is a big problem.

regards: Frank
Old 01-26-2003, 12:53 AM
mikerc

AMEN
Old 01-26-2003, 01:45 AM
warplaneinsane

OK, Ok....Then like I said ...they should call them SRF's......Sorta ready to fly!!!
Steve
Old 01-26-2003, 06:27 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Booker, I love that retractable tail wheel! Mr. Robart has another customer; now where's my X-Acto knife?

I build scale, but fly my H-9 ARF P-51 (current production with a fuel proof finish). Love them! If painting the cowl on a $250 complete plane is a biggie, then it's time to see what that buys in other .90 sized ARFs...

quint
Old 01-26-2003, 06:51 PM
lsnover

I thought "A" for Almost pretty well filled the bill.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:51 PM
AnthonyI

serge,
i have had to send parts back to horizon. the latest is the canopy for my 80" cap. all you have to do is ask for a shipping label and they will send it to you. ill bet they will even send a new decal sheet. i know it is a hassle, but its worth it to not pay shipping. horizon has always worked well with me in these situations. hope this helps.