Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

How much does your Lanier Edge weigh?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

How much does your Lanier Edge weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 03:26 AM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does your Lanier Edge weigh?

I just finished my Lanier Edge,I thought it was kinda heavy,but I weighed it on a digital bath scale that reads in whole numbers only and it says 13#what do you think?Here are the particulars:
Brison 2.4 w/CH ignition,spaced 1"from the firewall
4 Hitec 605BB
1 Hitec 615mg
1 Hitec 422
1 Hitec super slim 8ch reciever
1 1650mah nimh
1 1200mah nimh
2 JR A004 switches
24 oz fuel tank
PRO Zinger 20-8
Vortec spinner
I built it as per the book with the elevator servos in the rear,fuel tank is as colse to cg as possible,airborne pack is tie wrapped to the wing tube,no pilot,but I did install the wheel pants.I had to add 12oz of lead to the firewall to get it to balance at 5" back from the LE,recomended is 4"-43/4".It seems to fly good at that point,but I can't believe I had to add weight to the front.I would like to know how others have turned out.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:10 PM
RickP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey,
I don't know about bathroom scales, I think they are only calibrated to be accurate between 100 and 200 lbs. What they are though is repeatable. You can weigh yourself 100 times on that same scale and it will be very close to the same. Step on a different scale and you'll get a different number. Before I'd get to upset I'd find a shipping scale and weigh it.
Rick

BTW sounds like a killer combination, got any pics?
Old 02-13-2002, 04:15 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lanier edge

Mine weighs 11 pounds 15 ounces with a 160 and no lead, so 13 pounds is about right for yours, set up the way it is.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that you could lose 12 ounces by putting the elevator servo in the front tray and moving the battery forward.

Jim
Old 02-13-2002, 07:04 PM
SLC

Default LANIER EDGE

HEY LV2RCAV8. I'M FLYING MINE WITH A SIMILAR SETUP TO YOURS. MINE CAME OUT TO 12 LBS 15 OZ WITH NO LEAD. I HAVE THE BRISON 2.4 IN MINE WITH IGNITION AND 800MH NICAD MOUNTED INSIDE TO SIDES OF MOTOR BOX. 16 OZ TANK IS BUTTED UP AGAINST WING TUBE, RECEIVER MOUNTED TO BULKHEAD BEHIND WING TUBE, AND 1400MH 5CELL PACK IN FRONT OF BULKEAD WHERE TURTLEDECK STARTS. I USED A HAIGH STYLE TAILWHEEL AND STOCK MAIN GEAR. CG IS SET AT
5 1/8 FOR 3D FLYING. I WEIGHED MINE ON AN OLD ANALOG POSTAL SCALE SO WEIGHT SHOULD BE CLOSE. WHAT AN AWESOME COMBO! DID YOU EPOXY YOUR STAB ON AND COULD THIS ACCOUNT FOR EXTRA WIEGHT IN THE TAIL?
Old 02-14-2002, 02:12 AM
Mike Rojas

SLC,I did not epoxy the tail,however one of the alignment dowels came loose and vibrated itself into the stab causing quite an interesting flight,I got it down safely though.I checked them before assembly and meant to glue them just in case,but you know how that goes!!Sounds like your reciever is pretty close to the ignition?What prop do you use on the 2.4?I have tried a pro Zinger 20-8 and a regular Zinger20-8,the Pro had about 600 more RPM,but less pull,I just picked up an APC 20-8,to try this weekend,should have some pics,after this weekend,will post them when I get them.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:20 PM
SLC

lv2rcav8, About the reciever location, at first I was concerned but it range checks ok with the engine running and during six weeks of flying I haven't noticed any problems. I'm using the JR8103 and
649r pcm reciever. I've been using the 20x8 pro Zinger turning it at 7400 until last weekend I finally got a 20x8 Menz S and it turns it 7100. Both props work real good on this engine but the Menz seems a little better. Desert Aircraft finally got a shipment of Menz props. Some of us in our club tried the larger APC props but changed when we discovered the Menz props. The APC's don't give much braking action on down lines and landing. I'm glad you didn't loose your edge when the dowel came loose.