Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ASM Comet DH 88

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ASM Comet DH 88

Old 03-17-2007, 11:53 PM
rhowardsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASM Comet DH 88

Anyone have any experience with this ARF ? Bought one today ! Got a good deal...I think...Probably use Saito 62's for power. But what about flight characteristics ? I understand that the full scale one was a hand full on the runway,but once in the air performed well...
Old 03-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Rosisco

Default RE: ASM Comet DH 88

Is this the bird you are asking about? I just one this one at our club in Canada. I am also wondering how it preforms in the air
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67117.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	644404  
Old 03-18-2007, 12:43 AM
rhowardsta

Yup, That's it ! Advanced Scale Models....
Length: 59 in
Wingspan: 88 in
Glow engine: 2 x .32-.40 two-strokes & 10x6 - 11x7 props or 2 x 52 four-strokes & 10.5x8 to 12.5x6 props

Your's the same?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Happy Feet

I'm building the P-61 Black Widow for a friend. Both planes seemed to be formed up with ABS plastic. I would not own either of these things. Build is goign okay though. Better keep it out of direct sunlight or it'll melf for sure.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:22 AM
wbpo

I'm about 80% through one now. Kit was missing a lot of parts. Contacted Hobby Lobby, the distributor I think, via e-mail. Never heard a word. So I fabricated my own parts to finish. Had all the parts been there and the manual a lot better I could have finished it in less than half the time. Initial impressions are pretty good. But after you spend some time with the kit, it becomes very clear it comes from China. The hardware has to be the worse quality I have seen. All the metal parts are brital. Some actually snapped in assembly. I replaced them all.

As far as flying goes...it depends on what the finished weight is. Not much actual wing area, even though it is 88" span. Just the way things go together I would not call this a everyday flyer. I don't think it would last more than one or two seasons, just my opinion. I'm actually thinking it may be a one time "spectacular" flight model which is why I did not opt for the relatively very expensive optional gear. I went with mechanicals and fabricated my own gear which actually turned out pretty good and look scale on the plane. But man what a lot of work for an ARF. On second thought, it may end up being a hobby shop queen with a for sale sign.

Either way, I'll let y'all know.

Barrett
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: wbpo

I'm about 80% through one now. Kit was missing a lot of parts. Contacted Hobby Lobby, the distributor I think, via e-mail. Never heard a word. So I fabricated my own parts to finish.
Barrett

If you were to contact Hobby People, you may have much better luck. Global / Hobby People are the distributors in the US, and they have excellant customer service.
There are several trhreads on this model on RCU. Search for DH-88, or Comet.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:26 AM
andym817

I bought one of these off RCU buy and sell and it didn't come with the instructions. Does anyone know what the C.G. is supposed to be? Also, did ASM just discontinue this plane?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Cyclic_ Hardover

I'm building the P-61 Black Widow for a friend. Gods truth here, do not even leave this thing out in the sun. The fuselage construction is of some form of what looks like cheap ABS plastic crap. It may look like its worth $400 but its not built like its worth $400
Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Eric.Henderson

ORIGINAL: Cyclic_ Hardover

I'm building the P-61 Black Widow for a friend. Gods truth here, do not even leave this thing out in the sun. The fuselage construction is of some form of what looks like cheap ABS plastic crap. It may look like its worth $400 but its not built like its worth $400
I have more than fifty flights on my P-61 in all temperatures (NJ is like that). Lately it has been hot and very sunny.

The black covering needed an intial re-shrink after the first day in the sun. Now it stays shrunk tight. The plastic booms and center pod have shown no tendency to melt in direct sunlight, even when hot to the touch.

I do cover it up with a white sheet if it is going to left out there for hours on end- just being sensible - but it handles the heat and the sun pretty well. The canopy "glass" does not distort either.

I thought that this thread might like some actual field data. Regards,

Eric.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67552.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	708477  
Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Cyclic_ Hardover

Looks good. The guy gave me a pair of 91fx's for his with pitts plus the retracts. They went in okay. Probably have it finished by the end of the summer
Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Eric.Henderson

ORIGINAL: Cyclic_ Hardover

Looks good. The guy gave me a pair of 91fx's for his with pitts plus the retracts. They went in okay. Probably have it finished by the end of the summer
Wow! 91's.

I would consider 61's but the 52 2-c's in it right now haul it very well. They let me do a big loop from level flight.

One thing to consider is prop clearance. My 11 x 6's cut a lot of grass. What prop would you use on the 91 FX's?

Also the plane comes out right on the money as regards the CG with two MAGNUM 52 two cycles. My battery pack is in the rear of the center pod. The only engine upgrade that I would consider would be two 61's.

This plane does fast passes, either way up with authority and climbs out at each end with ease.

Just realised something--Sorry to insert this much P-61 data in DH88 thread.

Regards,

Eric.