Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Don't Let This Happen To You

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Don't Let This Happen To You

Old 02-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Bob Pham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't Let This Happen To You

I crashed my Thunder Tiger G200, a fun fly and in my opinion not a good plane to have. I took it several planes to the field one recent Saturday and ended up sticking the G200 with the horizontal stab stuck between the back of the front seats. I had no idea how stupid that was eventhough it seemed ok at the time.

I took it up flying full throttle (wind in the 15-25mph that day) and made half a circuit before the horiz. stab blew up. I yelled out to the guys and they scattered and the wind carried my plane out past the parking area. It crashed into the dirt without hitting anything or anybody.

So, don't let this happen to you. The G200 has built up tail group and not strong to begin with. The vibration on my way to the field had weakened the wood structure - whatever little they used. High wind and my flying it at full throttle all added up to it. Bad ideas! Bad plane! Never did fly like a real plane in my opinion.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:40 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Similar instances

Bob,
I doudt that the ride to the field had anything to do with it. I have personally witnessed this same event twice on two seperate Fun Tiger planes. The stab is too weak for the type of flying that these planes were designed for and are ebing used. Both began with an audible flutter which immediately ended with the horizontal stab being ripped off. On one of these planes, the pilot managed to land with half of the horizontal stab remaining.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:50 AM
Slocum

Default Read the book

Slow down and read the book. It said the plane is not designed to run at full throtle.

I had one and it is not the best profile out there but it is cheap, heavy and fun.

I lost mine to a mid-air, the tail is still in good shape.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:02 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

I have seen the same thing happen to kit built profiles as well, all were at full throttle using to much pitch, one was a sig Fazer on its first flight, built by a guy who has been flying longer than most of us have been alive . I had the TT G200 and was very pleased for the money. I would rather get the ARC version next time. It was never designed to fly like a real plane or to fly fast.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:56 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

I had a Thunder Tiger Sport 40 with an Enya .40 SS engine. The first flight, the cheap covering tore right off the top the the wing on the left hand side. I was lucky to land it ok. I patched that side with a piece of monokote trim paper. On the next flight, the other side tore off! The third flight I had radio interference and it nosed in at a height of about 30 feet. It looked like toothpicks. I swear there was no glue at all on the ribs. The wing just fell apart and turned to dust. After seeing that, I would never buy another thunder tiger.