Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WM Zen 50

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WM Zen 50

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 08:17 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM Zen 50

I am looking for engine suggestions for a WM Zen 50. I want enough power for 3D, hovering, etc.

I was thinking about a MDS 58. The plane is light, about 5 lb RTF

Thanks
Old 02-19-2002, 08:34 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WM Zen 50

The YS 63 is Ideal for that aircraft. But that is an F3A practice aircraft not a 3D aircraft. If you want one in that size get the Kyosho Majestic It does all the 3D maneuvers and you can tail touch the length of a runway with it. Or the Hirobo Super Stream 50 not the Stream 50. The Super is for 3D and the Stream 50 is like the Zen as it's for F3A practice Both the Zen and the Stream have Belly pans for Tuned pipes.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:50 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Default Zen 50

I also have a Kyosho Sensation. IS this more suited to pattern or 3d.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2002, 09:02 PM
Scorpionjack

Default WM Zen 50

I've flown the sensation and it was a fine aircraft. With a YS 63 in it in Japan. I was able to do knife edges at about 1 ft. from the deck. Increased rudder and did a climb out to a hover. but when Thre the power to it, I went up for a Stall turn with a slight tail slide it didn't want to track straight kept falling out of it. Being it wasn't my aircraft it may have needed another washer of right thrust. But eh answer to your question is yes it can. I personally didn't care for it.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:03 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Default WM Zen 50

Hi ScorpionJack:
I'm trying to decide between the Zen50, Tai-ji 40 and the Aresti for an aerobatic airplane. it will be my 4th plane and I wanna get into aerobatic-style flying with a little 3D (no hovers yet).
I have an Irvine .53 NIB engine to fit to the plane.
Which one would you suggest? I have looked over the Majestic... but the wingspan seems a little too small and the price is higher..
Regards,
Patrick
Old 02-19-2002, 09:14 PM
Scorpionjack

Default WM Zen 50

Patrick
The Zen 50, If you like get a Tuned pipe for that Irvine, pipe it in the tunnel provided, exhaust is down and away from the aircraft. The Flight charcterisitcs of the Zen 50 are very straight from the box to the Air. You'll be amazed at just how easy it fly's. Knife edge is crisp, rolls are straight, stall turns are smooth as well avalanche, sawtooth, hummpty bump Oh well you get the picture. It's really been reemed out in flight so all I can say is that it was alot of fun for such a small aircraft. compared to the Two Meter Brothers.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:29 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default WM Zen 50

I've got an OS 70 4-stroke in mine, mounted inverted. Totally conceals in cowling except for just a small hole for the valve cover to clear.
I was going to go with the OS pipe&header under the wing, and all that stuff until I found out OS wants $150 for header, and $50 for pipe. I went with stock out the side, no one's ever said a word, it runs good, and I didn't spend $200 on something that wouldn't even have made me a better pilot.

Some specs as follows; Dubro-remote igniter for glow(no on-board batt.). Runs fantastic. Unlimited vertical, pulls like a tractor. Flies like it's on rails. Knife edge for days. Great practice plane, excellent combo. Mine was not modified at all with the exception of the pull-pull hardware(Dubro), and clevis's(sullivan), and elevator push-rods. VoltWatch in cockpit.

It's been flying about a year, and still looks brand new. To me that's the sign of a nice plane. I take care of all of them the same way, just some don't stay shiney and clean. This one still shines bright.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Scorpionjack

Default WM Zen 50

Grant;
First mistake you tried to purchase an OS product made specifically for the OS (There just to expensive). Macproducts puts out a pretuend system for you engine. (for 82.95 Part # 1691) http://www.macsproducts.com. Hatori puts one out as well they're $100.

It's not that it makes you a better pilot, it just gives the plane a better line and the sound is better than a stock muffler. (personal pref)
Old 02-20-2002, 05:24 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default WM Zen 50

No mistake about it SJack. I looked into the Hatori's, and Mac's. Plane flies no different with stock, and the stock muff tucks very decently close to cowl. I checked out the OS because one of the guys in my club installed OS accessories, and they are as good or better then aftermarket. the accessories are typical OS quality, perfect fit. They have a whole line of stuff for all thier engines.
The plane flies very well the way it's set-up.

Thanks though.