Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 1/4 Cap 232 assembly help.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 1/4 Cap 232 assembly help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Timbersnake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 1/4 Cap 232 assembly help.

Howdy people...I'm getting ready to 'assemble' my 1/4 Cap (got an OS 1.6fx w/ bisson pitts...whoohooo!!!) and I'm running into some firsts for me. I've put together quite a few Arf's but have never sealed my hinge lines. I understand the reasons for sealing, and the general idea, but how do you do it? The one method I have heard seems a little arduous...it is to take a piece of clear tape, fold it down it's length, move the control surface (aileron, elevator, etc) to it's furthest point, and lay the tape into the gap, press it in, and cut off the excess later. Is this right? Is there an easier way? I also vaguely recall reading an article whree a guy ironed a small strip of covering to the wing and let it lay flat on the aileron..(didn't iron it to both surfaces...allowing the aileron to move)
Next question...The instructions for the CAP say to use standard servos. Can I get away with this? Thanks.
Tracy Mettler, Ketchikan Alaska
Old 02-22-2002, 07:46 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sealinf Hinge Lines

I have done this to most of my planes. I use a strip of covering open the gap as far as it will go and iron both surfaces. You should get full movement and a good seal. Pete
Old 02-22-2002, 09:13 PM
TiGuy
My Feedback: (1)

Ditto to rocketman. I've done it with tape and covering. Tape works, but....it's a major pain compared to covering, and it usually ends up peeling off too. I like to use a low temperature covering to help eliminate bubbling, but it doesn't come in clear. Go get a roll of clear monokote just to have around for sealing hinge gaps.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:33 PM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: H9 1/4 Cap 232 assembly help.

Originally posted by Timbersnake
Next question...The instructions for the CAP say to use standard servos. Can I get away with this?
On the throttle... but even there I wouldn't. :-) Go for some servos with at least 70oz of torque for the ailerons and elevators (80-100 all the better). Hitec 5645s are not toooo expensive, but you could go all the way down to 605s. But, you'll want something beefier for the rudder.

I prefer JR servos... but they're more expensive.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:29 AM
wildthng

I use 605s every place but the rudder.there i use a 615 metal gear.Use a 5cell rx pack and the 605s put out over 90 in lbs(acording to my dealer)seal all surfaces(i use clear ultra coat),good luck