Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 PM
flynte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

The weather wasn't the greatest, but it was the last day of the long weekend so had to go. The change in the wing was worth the couple hours effort for me. Set the trims back to neutral from last flight, took off and a couple clicks in the air I got my smile back for this plane.

flynte
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59493.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	953599  
Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 AM
thesouth1

Ok, I got to page 33 and couldnt take it anymore. I'm almost done putting it together, and am about to break in my 55ax. I got to looking at it and noticed that the fuel tank is just slid in there. My question is what holds it in? I checked back over the manual and found nothing on secureing it. Any suggestions would be appericated.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 AM
russm

put some very thin foam in there. it is a very tight fit. also pack foam in front of the tank after you install it. this will keep the tank from sliding forward on bad landings. it has happened to me.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
thesouth1

Thank's man.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:41 PM
bmitchell138

Ok, I got to page 33 and couldnt take it anymore. I'm almost done putting it together, and am about to break in my 55ax. I got to looking at it and noticed that the fuel tank is just slid in there. My question is what holds it in? I checked back over the manual and found nothing on secureing it. Any suggestions would be appericated.
I used a long zip tie to secure mine.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:13 PM
cavandish

I put a line of hot glue along the top at the side's, has lasted 50 flights & 3 reasonable crashes !
Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Wingwrecker

Technically, the little foam square that you glue to the underside of the hatch is meant to hold the tank in place, but I would follow the adice above and secure it.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 PM
freeair

Hi guys, i just picked up my new Revolver and i must say this model is very very well constructed and finished, the main wings and tail wings to my surprise are made from balsa sheeted foam which i find to be fantastic in both looks and strength compared to the built up rib wings. O.K. now comes my question that no doubt will be answered in many ways, i have decided on using an O.S. Engine but i am not 100% sure on the best size such as the 46ax / 55ax / or 70 fl 4 stroke, i dont want a rocket ship but i do want something that will have decect power to perform most aerobatic manouvers within reason. which engine guys ? thanks.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 PM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

G'Day, congratulations on the purchase of what I consider the best plane I've ever had! to date!

I personally started out with an OS 46 FX and it flew really well, for a bit more spirited flying I have since changed to an OS 50 SX ( running an APC 11x6 ) and love it. OK it hasn't got " unlimited verticle " but it'll go a hang of a long way straight up, and it's well and truely fast enough too.

Until you get the hang of it... it's a bit of a dog to land, but I now grease it EVERYTIME now thanks to hitting my spoilers ( reverse of flaperons ) on touchdown.

Oh and I'm not running any nitro and I have a BCM Pitts muffler on it.

Pretty long thread to read but it has ( thanks to all the guys input ) alot of great tips, if you're un-sure of anything then sing out and we'll help out where we can.

Chow for now,
Paul
Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: freeair

i have decided on using an O.S. Engine but i am not 100% sure on the best size such as the 46ax / 55ax / or 70 fl 4 stroke, i dont want a rocket ship but i do want something that will have decect power to perform most aerobatic manouvers within reason. which engine guys ? thanks.
You could probably get the power and aerobatics that you want out of the 46ax, but I'd still suggest the 55ax just because for a few more $ you are going to have room to grow with the engine. From what I understand (and I may be completely wrong,) the 70 4s will give you more low end power but not much more than the 55ax for rpms - speed.

The 55 will give you plenty of power at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for what you want to do now and then when you want to, full throttle is there waiting...

Right or wrong, that is my 2 cents.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Wingwrecker

So hey Beav, Imma give spoilerons a try tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:18 AM
beaver180

Yo wrecker, hope your weather good for flying then

If your not confident popping them on finals ( like chicken poo me ) just smack em as your just or about it touchdown... awesome! You don't have to worry about trying to come in real slow either. Bring her in as slow as your comfortable with. Remember tho mom's the word about the spoilers

Keep me informed dude, happy landings
Old 05-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Wingwrecker

Sure thing Beav, thanks!

And BTW to EVERYONE.. I've been searching online for a month to find a video of someone wringing out their Revolver.... What's the hold up?

Let's get some vid of this beast going NUTS! Especially on the high speed passes!
Old 05-25-2008, 12:37 AM
beaver180

Come on over Wrecker... I just need a cameraman otherwise will see what can be done....
Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 AM
freeair

do you guys really see the need to run spoilers on the revolver ? i have flown a few pylon racers in the past and these things had enormous dead stick speed, as long as you judge you approach with the revolver i can,t see any problems.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:16 AM
beaver180

You'll see freeair I'm not that experienced enough to fly onto the strip and hold up the tail until the airspeed bleeds off enough to drop the tail down. Which is why I use the spoilers, to great effect.
In doing so this has also built up my flying confidence overall.. I don't have the need to worry about getting into difficulty whilst landing. I'm sure I won't need to use them all the time.

Keep us posted on your build..

CFN, Paul
Old 05-25-2008, 04:26 AM
freeair

beaver, i have a friend in my club that flies the revolver with a ys supercharged 4 stroke and this is a very potent model i must say, as for landings what he does is cuts back on the throttle to idle on the down wind approach then he turns the model in large radius to line up for the into wind landing and the model settles down fine straight on the runway. thats him and not me by the way.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: freeair

do you guys really see the need to run spoilers on the revolver ? i have flown a few pylon racers in the past and these things had enormous dead stick speed, as long as you judge you approach with the revolver i can,t see any problems.
From what I gather it's not so much the speed that is being reduced by the spoilers, rather the tendancy for this plane to bounce 2 or 3 times during touchdown. I understand that a slower-speed landing would likely cure this as well but there seems to be a very fine line between landing slowly enough to avoid the bounce and tip-stalling.

Or I may be way off. I will likely find out today!
Old 05-25-2008, 07:08 PM
cavandish

I believe the reason most people bounce with this plane is one, or both of these

you are using dubro gear, so the wheels are more forward of G of G than standard set up, causing a tendancy to balloon up.

Once you slow this bird down, it requires a fair amount of up elevator to stop it dropping, it is very easy to land and not totally neutralise this extra input (on the point of touch down) if you are unsure, make a concious effort to prod the stick forward on touch down -you will be amazed how she sticks to the deck ! you will look like a vetran (decorated)

my landings were not acceptable untill I "prodded" the stick forward, do it several times and without proding you will just naturaly be holding the tail up & do not be afraid of nosing in, & am fairly ham fisted & this did not happen.

Hey beaver, how about wens 12 ish at the lake, good forcast-we could shoot a vid for on here ? I've got a new pipe on the downer to try out
Old 05-25-2008, 07:40 PM
beaver180

Sounds good Cav, The watership Downer dry out ok?? ( not that it looked too wet ) Gimme a call Wed morning...
Old 05-26-2008, 01:37 AM
freeair

looks like i will be buying a new o.s. 55 ax plus a good quality alloy streamline pitts type muffler. going by some previous posts i must say the pitts really looks alot better than the stock muffler hanging out like a missile.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:03 AM
beaver180

Mate.. how goes it? I have the BCM pitts on mine my ringed OS 50 SX ( fits 46 FX- 55AX too ) but had to chop quite abit out of the cowl to fit it. I could have left about an inch at the firewall but. The BCM goes great and haven't had any probs wit it on the 46 FX or the 50 SX
I would try this one ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTEB7&P=ML ) as I believe it thinner. The picture is of my cowl with the BCM.... cut yours abit at a time...
Hope this helps ya...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34763.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	956887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28426.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	956888  
Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 AM
cmartin3977

Looks good, now all they need is a gasser version!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: cmartin3977

A 60 size would make me happy.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 PM
cavandish

ORIGINAL: cmartin3977

yes, I have thought this a few times, would be awsome at about 80 inch span, with the 8.5 hp evolution 56 gasser !!! great planes, I wanna be first in line please !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.