Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:47 PM
chris8105
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

How does the bird land? Do you have to come in hot with it or will it slow right down for you?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:30 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: StPeteFlyer

Just got started putting this together and was wondering what type of servos to put into it. What type of servers are you guys using? I was thinking just some digital servos but didn't know if I should put a hi torque one on the rudder or elevator.
I put Futaba S3151 digitals in mine and they work fine. This is a really nice flying airplane so I would try to use some decent, precision servos. They don't have to be the most expensive, just not standard sport servos either.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:37 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: chris8105

How does the bird land? Do you have to come in hot with it or will it slow right down for you?
The plane seems really slippery to me; it takes a little longer to slow down once you cut the throttle than most planes I have flown. I have to start my approach a little further out than I am used to. Not a big deal though. Once it slows down, it flys a lot better than I expected. Landing isn't any more difficult than most sport type planes.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

That is true Chuck. It is very slippery and it takes a bit longer to slow down than the average plane. I put too much expo in my elevator for the first flight because I didn't really know what to expect and I needed way less. You really should do at LEAST 3 -4 very slow fly-bys to see your elevator response before you land that first time. I didn't and I got embarassed in front of everyone at the club. I pulled up gently to flair and nothing happened so I landed a bit hard. No damage to the plane though because all that happened is that the prop got caught in the grass and the plane gently flipped over on it's back. Another guy at our club flew my Revolver and landed it (greased) picture perfect. It seems to have no bad habits in slow flight.

Like I said ealier, the ONLY problem I have with this plane that I have is that it is very hard to see. I am going to put a Bold black or dark blue stripe to match the other stipes on the top of the wings. I think that that would do the trick and then I will feel more comfortable with the plane in the air. By the way, I do have good eyesight HAHAHA! If that is the only thing I can find wrong with this plane then it is definately a KEEPER !!!!!!

Jeff
Old 09-04-2007, 06:12 PM
chris8105

Sounds like this plane is a must have. I had the same problem with the lil toni and the minnow not being able to see it. Something about that color red just messed with my eyes.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 PM
russm

yes , this plane comes in hot. if you have a idle down on your radio, use it. i do, but forgot to use it and ripped my landing gear off. i agree, this is a must have plane. it does every thing well and is fast. futaba 3151s or hitec 425bbs are fine for this plane.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Yeah it is hot! The small profile and the mostly white color scheme is what messes with my eyes. It needs some really bold, dark stripes on the fuse and the top of the wings. the bottom is easy to see. I also need to keep it closer - believe me, I've been thinking about it all day!!!! The four stroke that I have runs like a champ and can idle so low that I think that it will quit running!!!! When I brought it in the last time and when my friend landed it - on both occasions, we thought that the engine quit running and it was dead stick !!!!!! What do you guys think about running a 3 blade prop with my 70 four stoke? Do you guys think that it would create more drag and slow it down faster at idle? Would it give it more or less speed? I have 4 balanced and ready 3 blade props in 12X6 and 11X7 master airscrew props just lying around from my old seawind. I can get a tru turn stainless spinner for 15 bucks at my LHS for this plane but I am afraid that if I experiment I might crash. I would rather deal with a hot ship on final than taking the whole plane home in a Alberston's grocery bag!!!!
Your coments are greatly apreciated......

Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-05-2007, 11:19 AM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried to use flaperon to slow it down? I am a little concerned as my field is a little short and has an 8 ft airplane eating fence 35 feet from approach end of runway. We are not allowed to make a long approach as our "new" neighbor is a Polo freak and built a polo field at the end of his property. He hates it when we buzz his $25,000 horses!
CC
Old 09-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Bernard
My Feedback: (1)

So, has anyone rated this yet? I am pretty interested and it sounds like a good plane. I would like to get something that isn't already at the field. Is this a 4 out of 5 or a 3 out of 5? from the forum it sonds like the covering is quality, the plane handles well, is a good sport plane with some 3D, good slow speed characteristics, and a OS 55 or 72 4 stroke is a good match.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 PM
alpbak

CC,
I haven't used any flaperon in the Revolver but found an easy way to land. There are a few trees in our flying field so we can not make long approaches easily. So what I do with Revolver is that I idle the engine in the beginning of downwind leg (downwind leg starts at the end of the 350 feet long runway) and fly parallel to runway all the way (at about 70-80 feet high) and pass the runaway 80-100 feet then make a 90 degree turn to base leg and start my descent and make another 90 degree turn to final leg and keep my descent.

By the time I make it to the runway the plane slows down so much that I'm afraid it would stall. But this plane can not be stalled very easily. If you have ANY airspeed then you are safe.

The trick here is to keep the throttle stick all the way down, your brain tells you that the plane is slow and will stall and to push the stick a little forward. But don't do that, it just floats in the air. This plane flies fast and you can not imagine a plane this fast can be flown slow as well. But believe me it flies slow very well. I cut the throttle right before touch down.

All of my landings with Revolver has been perfect this way.
[hr]
Bernard,
I would give this plane a 5 out of 5. I love this plane

Alp
Old 09-05-2007, 05:47 PM
russm

i would give it a 5 as well. slippery is the best way to describe this plane.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
dirtydingus

I have flaperons hooked into mine and the work great. I have 1/2", that seems to be a good setting. But once you get used to the plane you won't need them, you can slow the Revolver down to a crawl. It gets a little tipsy but still has plenty of control. I now have about 40 flights on mine and have deemed it my favorite plane. Now that the OS 75 ax is broke in, I use a 11x8 apc turning 13,300 rpm static and that = crazy speed
Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Ed_Moorman

Corsair Crazy,

I just got mine for the R/C Report review, so I can't report on the flying yet, but I use spoilers on many planes.

I set a Flaperon wing type, then mix Throttle master to flaps slave. I set the flaps to move up about an inch when the throttle is at idle and to drop down to normal position ad half throttle. This lets you make a steeper approach. I am using a 3-position switch on my 9303 and use up for low rates, middle for high with stunt type flaperons and down for spoilers.

It's also good in windy conditions and for playing with elevator type landings. If the Revolver flies like they say, you ought to be able to drop it in nicely.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
ChuckW

I'd say 4.9 out of 5. I have to ding it .1 because the anti-rotation dowel hole in one wing root wasn't exactly perfect. Seriously though, this is an unbelievably nice ARF.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 AM
chris8105

I ordered a Revolver and a 55ax egnine. I havent seen anybody say anything bad about this plane. Anything I should look out for during the build?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Have an OS70 FS in mine and am using the FLAPERON function. It will slow way way down with FLAPERONS. Have my FLAPERONS on a 3 position switch with only 3/8 inch deflection on the mid switch position and 3/4 inch deflection on the full/bottom switch position. This airplane is a great flyer and a great deal for the $$$$. What is also great is the amount of ground clearance (for four-stroke props) ...... much higher than other airplanes in this class/category. Bob
Old 09-06-2007, 09:46 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Hey bob,
What size of prop are you running on yours? I am running a 12X7X2 zinger wood prop. I asked earlier in the posts what people thought of a three blade prop and got no response. Even though I have a OS 70 FS in mine it has plenty of speed for me. I had this engine on my seawind with a 3 blade master airscrew prop and the seawind performed better with it than a 2 blade prop and it sounded better. I like the sound of three blade props. They make a realisic sound. Some people don't like noisy props but I do!!

Jeff
Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
anglewine

I am actually building my Revolver and really enjoying it. I believe the quality of the kit is excellent. I bought an OS .55 with pitt muffler. I hope to finish the model by Friday because there is a RC beauty contest Saturday morning at the local airport (Fort Frances CYAG). I'll let you know how our plane stand against the other kits.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Bernard

Can you post some pics during the assembly?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 AM
corsaircrazy

Ed, won't moving the ailerons up kill the lift and make it sink like a rock? Correct me if I am wrong, but Spoilers reduce lift and increase drag, and Flaps increase both lift and drag. I am probably paranoid, but the asphalt comes up fast enough as it is!
CC
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 AM
corsaircrazy

whoops... double post
Old 09-06-2007, 11:55 AM
anglewine

My plane is about 80% complete. I believe the instruction manual says it all. Really easy to built.
I can tell you a mistake I did during construction: Step #1!!!!!! I did cut a little bit too much the covering away from the slot. But at 100MPH++, nobody should see it!!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 PM
brewski

All done. The Tower 75 with Pitts muffler went in well. I had to move the battery behind the rudder and elevator servos to balance. This plane and the Tower motor are really impressive on the ground. I could not believe how the motor runs and how perfect it idles without even being broke in. The Revolver is a real bargain and very easy build and the engine is even a better deal for only $78 shipped with the 20 off of 50 Tower code. I will fly it Saturday. It should be a real blast!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35405.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	757833  
Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Ed_Moorman

Corsair Crazy,

You have a misperception about aerodynamics. It is not a black & white thing where spoilers up means the plane drops out of the sky. We change the position of both ailerons to correct a barrel rolling tendency in pattern planes. Now, if you put both ailerons, and I am going to call the spoilers, 45 degrees up and didn't have enough elevator to compensate, the plane would fall, but not drop. Spoilers up a small amount cause the plane to lose some lift and descend very nicely. I use this on many of my planes, especially Sticks.

Flaps are really only good on landing for heavy planes. You would need them down a good amount, maybe 60 degrees, to create drag and with full span ailerons like on the Revolver, you could easily get into a stall condition. The drag could catch up with you too quickly to notice, slowing the plane too quickly.

This came up because someone wanted a short approach to avoid a polo field. Spoilers mixed with throttle are the way to go. You first set a Flaperon wing type. Then mix throttle master to flaps slave, with the spoilers being down at half throttle. I use the landing switch to arm the mix. This system is totally fail safe. You turn the switch on, then when you throttle back, the spoilers move up. I would start with an inch of movement. Add more after you try it. When you add some power to adjust the landing spot, the spoilers drop down some. If you have trouble or do a go around, at half throttle, they are completely down in the normal aileron position. Works like a charm. It's especially good on windy days and in cross winds.

I gave my old Big Stick 40 to a friend who crashed his. It had been a test plane to over 15 engines so it had some time on it. I built it with anhedral and used spoilers on nearly every landing. He was skeptical, but after I programmed his 8103, and demonstrated them, he tried it. Now he's hooked on using spoilers.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Bernard

As luck would have it, we had our club meeting and raffle tonight - the Revolver was the prize. I didn't win but the guy who did win sold me it. I should have it done next week. Looking forward to getting my OS 55 into a really nice plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.