Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:02 AM
freeair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

UPDATE; another great day today with the Revolver [ 5 flights ] what i tried was a different prop plus uped the nitro mix .
running the O.S 55 ax with the original 11 x 6 APC prop and 5 percent nitro was good but i tried a 11.5 x 6 Bolly prop which is allmost identical in shape to the APC but the Bolly props come in half measured sizes such as 10.5 x 6 / 11.5 x 7 etc compared to the APC props which are straight 10 /11 /12 etc, i mixed a new batch of fuel at 15 percent nitro content and adjusted the carby mixture to suit and gave the model a test. WOW what a difference in power, straight through runs and up as far as the limit of 400 metres not a problem just like a pattern model with the big donk goes. i will drop the nitro back down to its original 5 percent just to see if the power climb is as good [ plus save some dollars ] as why use more nitro if your not racing and the model is powering great. so for now all i can say is this is a great model both to look at and fly and i would hate to crash it after all of the extra work [ mods ] done.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:11 AM
beaver180
My Feedback: (10)

Why use nitro at all? Alot of us here ( no one at our club ) don't use nitro. I don't even use it in my four strokes, Laser 70 dont need it.. or as much oil, just 15% syn

Banged up my landing gear, ripped off. Wouldn't have mattered if it was mounted to a full length alloy plate as it was like running in to a roadside gutter[:@], didn't stand a chance[&o]

Back to it though after the Float and fly this weekend....

Chow for now,
Paul
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
DougV

Hi Guys:

Has anyone use a .91FX with this plane?

Thanks in advance,
Doug.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:34 AM
freeair

ORIGINAL: DougV

Hi Guys:

Thanks in advance,
Doug.
Doug, i would say the 91 would be an overkill for this model as i have an o.s. 55 fitted and it goes very well and some other guys use the o.s. 75 which would be the maximum power plant.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:24 AM
beaver180

Go on Doug be the first !

Be sure to strengthen the firewall way back into the fuse, strengthen the tail and hinge tape your control surface gaps Remember it's only 46-55 size

Cheers, Paul
Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 AM
russm

been there done that. nice combo. used a jett muffler for some more rpm. advise from beaver180 above is a must. do not forget to address the landing gear issue. especially w/ the heavier engine up front.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Backfired

I've got one ordered and should be in next week. Anyone have any thoughts on using a Saito 65 four stroke. I don't need unlimited vertical.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
beaver180

Gotta a Laser 70 in mine and flies really well, will go straight up for a while but not unlimited. Also has good speed for a four stroke of this size.

You should be good with the Saito 65, guys have had great success on this thread with the Saito 82.

dougV... yeah, like russm says beef up the landing gear definately
Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Schooner

CC,

Just finished cutting the cowl for my new Revolver. The pictures you posted were very helpful in the fitting process. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Rich AKA - Schooner
Old 09-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Brainiax

Guy's, anyone happen to have the stock landing gear hanging around? One of the halves is cracked and I would like to replace it. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:46 PM
thesouth1

ORIGINAL: Brainiax

Guy's, anyone happen to have the stock landing gear hanging around? One of the halves is cracked and I would like to replace it. Thanks.
Left or right side? I have a stock right un-cracked.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Brainiax

ORIGINAL: thesouth1

ORIGINAL: Brainiax

Left or right side? I have a stock right un-cracked.
Hi, It is the right side. Send me a PM and we'll work it out. Many thanks!!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:06 PM
DustinSS

Hey guys, I have had this plane sitting in my basement for about 6 months now, and in the last month have finally started putting it together. I have read through all 1500+ posts, and am thankful for all the advice. I just want to make sure that the common mods are

1) Beef up the landing gear, buy a Dubro set,
2) Change out the tail wheel with a 25% yak from TH
3) Tape between the control surfaces. Question. Can I literally use clear packing tape? Is that what you guys are sealing up the small gaps with?
4) I saw someone say they aren't running nitro. I have a magnum .61 2s thats going in this with a pitts muffler. Is that enough power, and if not using nitro, what's one to use?

Thanks guys. Hope to post some pics when I maiden it here in a couple weeks.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:56 PM
beaver180

Hiya Dustin,

If your gonna put the dubro gear on you'd be wise to add some strengthening blocks inside the cowl, May be just use the stock gear until ( if it does ) break and beef up and add the dubro later.

3M Diamond tape ( 1/2 inch wide ) is nice and clear for sealing the hinge gaps. I used robart hinge points to hinge my controls surfaces and they are nice and tight so I've not worried about tape myself. Not like I was ever going to go 120mph plus with my Rev.

Use nitro if you have to, guys at our club generally don't in there OS and ASp's even tho it says to in manuals. I only use 5-10% in my 4 strokes, and again some guys don't at all.

Check out my posts for pictures if it helps with the Yak and Dubro landing gears...

Good luck with your up and coming maiden
Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 PM
rcfan450

ORIGINAL: Wingwrecker

So I'm back and I'm sure every single one of you missed me very much.. (As everyone thinks.. he was here before???)
Only posted a couple times here but got VAST amounts of info to help me get my Revolver up and running. So I thank the main contributors to this thread.

And now I'm back because I've finally become fed up with glow and have gone all EP. All but my engine-less Revolver. And I'd LOVE to get this one back into the air with some butt-kicking torque. I have recently acquired an E-flite Power 60 and am dying to see if I can get it on and make her balance. I've tried searching here but have found no reference to it. Has anyone tried a motor this large on this plane?

I've never converted a glow to EP before and don't know what terms to search for the right type of mount or what steps I need to take to convert.

I know this motor is likely too much for her but if it's possible I'd like to try it.

Any help, links, etc.?

Evvy

That may fly it ok. My buddy finally did put his together with an E-flight 160, 12S lipo, 16x16 prop. He hasn't maidened yet, but when he does, I'll be there with my video camera!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 PM
rcfan450

ORIGINAL: DougV

Hi Guys:

Thanks in advance,
Doug.
Doug, if you aren't the first one to use a 91 - I will be. The Saito 82 has been good to me for about a year now (until today when the exhaust broke off due to vibration - actually I have another story too, later..) but with my buddy going electric I've got to get even more speed, so I'm pulling the 82 out and going for the 91fx, pits muffler maybe.

Ok so that other story...

A month or so ago I went flying on some empty city streets behind my house. After I flew for about 8 minutes or so (and I've only got about 12 cause I put a much smaller tank in my plane) I decided to practice landing a few times before quitting. Well it wouldn't shut down! It came by going 60 or so at half throttle and that was as slow as it would go. Confused I kept trying to land and I even hit the kill button (which completely closes the throttle normally) and it just wouldn't quit. I ran it down the asphalt at 50-60mph 5 times before I finally went into the programming mode on my controller and used the EPA to turn it off for a dead stick landing. Dead stick all went well. In the pits it wouldn't fire up again because it ran out of gas about the same time I programmed it to stop. She was dry. Glad it didn't die in a crappy spot.

Turns out the Saito pulled itself right out of the airframe. It was stupid though - there are four little dowels used to secure the block that the motor is mounted to. Those little dowels seemed as if they were never glued from the factory and the motor mount blocking simply popped free and let the engine go! The little dowels were there, just poking out of there holes. Luckily the cowl held the engine in there and I was able to land it successfully. THERE'S EPOXY EVERYWHERE NOW!!!

But ya, call me crazy thinking 115mph on level isn't enough - but my buddy thinks he's gonna get 175, so I've got to put something bigger in! I really don't think even a 91FX is going to be a match for his bird but at least it'll be fun.

I do have video of my friend and his crazy electric planes on youtube as well as video of mine. Just search for Jethro450 and you'll get all my videos.

The Saito may be for sale to pay for the 91 - or I'll put it in a 3D plane maybe. I don't know, it's a great engine though.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: rcfan450

That may fly it ok. My buddy finally did put his together with an E-flight 160, 12S lipo, 16x16 prop. He hasn't maidened yet, but when he does, I'll be there with my video camera!
The Power 160??? Holy cow, thats for a 12 lb. plane minimum! [X(]
Does it even fit in the cowl? And how did he get it to balance? It's gotta weigh a ton!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:41 PM
rcfan450

Yes, that was not a typo - Eflight 160. Video will be taken within the next couple weeks.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:36 PM
mustang11

OMG[X(] I've got the Power 160 in a 25% Cap 231 and it pulls that A/C around with authority on 12S LiPoly power......... Am presently flying the Rev on 7S with the recommended motor and it motors by just fine. I'll really be interested to see how the batteries get mounted along with all else to offset the 160's weight. Yes, please pictures as this A/C is going to be a beast.........
Old 09-15-2008, 02:41 PM
rcfan450

I can't wait! I hope it rips the wings off, it'll make good video.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
beaver180

LOL you guys are bloody nuts!! do make sure you get the video of it, I'm waiting with much anticipation on this one

Chow for now,
Paul
Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Wingwrecker

How far along is he on the build.. Anytime soon?

Also, can anyone tell me if the Large Great Planes adjustable electric motor mount will line up with the Power 60 screw holes? I tried the Medium one and it was way off. Guess I could measure it but, yeah..
Old 09-15-2008, 05:55 PM
rcfan450

ORIGINAL: Wingwrecker

How far along is he on the build.. Anytime soon?
I think he's pretty close. Within the next couple weeks. I won't be around this weekend though and I'm afraid he will maiden it then. I gotta make sure to get pics and video before and after flight somehow!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:09 PM
rcfan450

He maidened w/o me (I was camping).

He said this was a shallow dive with the wrong prop. Different prop and he feels 160 level flight will be cake.

I will try to get video next time I see him.

Here's the results:

Oh ya. He flew w/o the wing bolts! It was an accident, but could have been disasterous! Luckily no barrel rolls or tricks were performed, just speed tests, else she would have been dead.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 PM
cavandish

This is me
please post all the info you can , Ie what type and brand of speed controller, & battery ? does she balance ok ? can I see some install pics please.

is the above combo at all practical ? is she much overweight ( would be nice if the plane was still practical)

sorry about all the questions, I just want to Know what I need to purchase to replicate this monster ! ASAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.