Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

ORIGINAL: rcfan450

Yup, OS 91FX w/ a tuned pipe (though I don't know the name of it). CG is 1/2'' tail heavy. I need to check that again now though that I've added more weight up front. That's probably what happened was the more weight made it more nose heavy than I'm used to flying it. But I had to add down elevator on the last flight... hmm... Will check. Either way, love the plane.

For sure,
take some pics and post them of the engine area!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
rcfan450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lippucci,
Prop size is 12.5x10. I found that between it and the 13x9 performance is about identical but landing is quicker with the bigger pitched prop.

Yes, it's fast. Very fast. We radar'd it a few times back when I ran 20% nitro and it was 118-120 level. If I dived even a little (though I don't dare dive it much) it was 140.

Now that I've switched to 30%, it's noticably faster with better verticle pull but we haven't radar'd it yet. So maybe I'm getting 150 in a dive, probably 125 level flight. Just guessing here. I like speed!

Here's my buddy's electric Revolver (12s). He just had to beat me. 160mph but his plane weighs ten pounds and mine weighs 7.5???
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL_ZbFv0xFE]12S Electric Revolver (160)[/link]

The last video I've taken of mine was back when I had a Saito 82 in it last summer, seems like I got a 140 with it as well but level flight was 115 average.
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FAKqwol8WU[/link]

Kostas 1
I think I've got some pics in here somewhere of the motor installed. I'd have to search to find them.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
rcfan450

Found it. The cowl isn't off but it's post 1856, page 75
Old 10-13-2009, 02:16 PM
lippucci

Still using the stock gear? Amazing!

Norm
Old 10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
rcfan450

Ya it lands much nicer (zero bouncing!) with the stock gear. I had the dubros on for the first year but they mess with the CG once the plane touches down which makes it bounce if you don't do it just right.... and then my friends laugh at me and count how many times I "land" per landing.

With the stockers I can grease it every time, plus it looks cool to have it ride the length of the runway with the tail still up (kinda like a Cub) before it finally settles just before stopping. They have held up just fine for a years worth of grass runway.

I thought it was interesting that the mount gave way before I cracked the cruddy fiberglass gear. I was simply taxiing too, not even a hard landing. It must have been just about to go anyways.

Only one nose-over in a year so I don't mind the stock gear at all. You just gotta have high rate elevator on and pulled back when taxiing around the grass.

Also gotta be careful not to romp on the gas hard when taking off, I've about (but not quite) slammed it over front wards by doing that as well. Gotta give the wheels time to catch up the frame!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:18 PM
lippucci

Nice report. thanks.

i am doing no nose overs since adding 2 oz. lead to the tail. CG did not change much..now thats a first which I still do noe understand. Flying on a grass field which makes for full up on elevator with high rates. Still, when taxing down wind it wants to nose over. But not yet.

Has anyone used the Dubro gear? Report?

Norm

Old 10-13-2009, 03:39 PM
rcfan450

I guess I could have reported more on the Dubro gear. Yes, used them for a year, bounced on landings as mentioned above but taxiing around and take off was much more stable. Very strong gear too. Landing was my only complaint with them.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM
cavandish

The dubro gear is excellent, I just flick the spoilerons up as I touch,and she almost appears to be held down by a vacuum.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Wing-Ding

What an extensive collection of posts about this plane- a tremendous resource! I feel like I'm the last guy to build one of these. I put in a Saito .72 and mounted it inverted and used a Cline regulator so I didn't have to worry about flooding or hydro-locks (in the inverted configuration, the tank is much higher than the spray bar in the carb ).

Maiden flight was today and flew her three times. I started out with the CG about 5mm aft of the recommended 4 5/16 (110mm)". I rolled it inverted and it needed a ton of down stick to maintain level flight. So for the next flight I added about 1/3 ounce of weight on the tail. Was still nose heavy. In my opinion, the 420cc fuel tank is way too large and I believe adds a lot of weight forward of the CG. I think I'm going to install a smaller tank- maybe around 10 ounces (instead of the 14.2 ounce that comes stock) and also move it back to the wing tube.

Landings were nerve racking. I had trouble with getting it to slow down and also had the "bouncey-bounce" landings. Think next time I'll try cutting throttle a lot sooner and use flaperons (or spoilerons). Oh yeah, the recommended low rates are not nearly enough. Went to high rates right away. I think I'm going to really like this plane after I get it "dialed-in".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90641.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1302118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36263.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1302119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99857.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1302120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63521.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1302121  
Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Wing-Ding

Here are a few more pics...

Name:	Xv63895.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1302122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25602.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1302123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12262.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1302124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82803.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1302125  
Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Chancho

Nice Build Wing-Ding!

Great job with the inverted Saito, Cline regulator and such; workmanship looks outstanding. The pictures look great, too… I am sure you will enjoy and love this plane like the rest of us.

I did go back to the stock gear this year as the Dubro was too heavy and gnarly looking for this sexy of a plane. And with the Dubro you exaggerate the bouncy bounce thing. I did the aluminum plate reinforcement on the stock gear, I believe Cavandish gets credit for that, and that's held up good. I’m surprised no one has made carbon fiber identical replacement stock gear for this yet, made to be a one piece assembly, not two. “That would have been great.â€

I agree with a few others that the new color scheme looks putrid on the new larger sized Revolver. They might as well put a Care Bear sticker on it and painted rainbows on it. I think it would be a great plane to re-cover, own and fly. However I’m not sold right away. For the money I’m thinking to sink that kind of investment into a giant war bird next.

Enjoy your new Revolver!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:04 PM
mike early

ORIGINAL: Wing-Ding

What an extensive collection of posts about this plane- a tremendous resource! I feel like I'm the last guy to build one of these. I put in a Saito .72 and mounted it inverted and used a Cline regulator so I didn't have to worry about flooding or hydro-locks (in the inverted configuration, the tank is much higher than the spray bar in the carb ).

Maiden flight was today and flew her three times. I started out with the CG about 5mm aft of the recommended 4 5/16 (110mm)''. I rolled it inverted and it needed a ton of down stick to maintain level flight. So for the next flight I added about 1/3 ounce of weight on the tail. Was still nose heavy. In my opinion, the 420cc fuel tank is way too large and I believe adds a lot of weight forward of the CG. I think I'm going to install a smaller tank- maybe around 10 ounces (instead of the 14.2 ounce that comes stock) and also move it back to the wing tube.

Landings were nerve racking. I had trouble with getting it to slow down and also had the ''bouncey-bounce'' landings. Think next time I'll try cutting throttle a lot sooner and use flaperons (or spoilerons). Oh yeah, the recommended low rates are not nearly enough. Went to high rates right away. I think I'm going to really like this plane after I get it ''dialed-in''.

The inverted .72 is how I fly mine, too. Same spinner even! I just cannot imagine any more engine on this plane. I fly with a 12x9 prop. The 13x8 was easier to slow down, but the speed on the 12x9 is insane.

I have max throws on ailerons. The roll rate is damn near blinding.

I cut throttle way out and glide it in holding some up elevator until the wheels touch. I then immediately let go of the elevator altogether. It sticks to the ground like glue. Granted, it want to roll a long way on it's mains but it slows a lot better rolling than it does gliding.

I love this plane!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
jet22b

I agree with Mike!! This plane is off the hook!! I have a OS 55AX with a 12x8 prop and I have been clock at 130 MPH level!!! I will buy the big Revolver when it come out, but it will go on the shelf in the workshop untill I have time to build it. I am just having to much fun with the baby one!! Wing-Ding, you will love this plane!!! We all do!!!!

Sonny
Old 10-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Kostas1

ORIGINAL: jet22b

I agree with Mike!! This plane is off the hook!! I have a OS 55AX with a 12x8 prop and I have been clock at 130 MPH level!!! I will buy the big Revolver when it come out, but it will go on the shelf in the workshop untill I have time to build it. I am just having to much fun with the baby one!! Wing-Ding, you will love this plane!!! We all do!!!!

Sonny
Did i read correct?

130mph? [X(][X(][X(]

My OS 55AX ripps the @#$%^ out of an APC 11x6,

but i thought that using a bigger prop would bog it down,a prop like your 12x8!!!

How much RPM?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
cavandish

nice saito install , but those lovely valve cover's must ground on a nose over ?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 PM
rcfan450

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Sonny
I'm so jealous of you guys at sea level. The thick air gives you an incredible power advantage! I've got my OS 91 fx (tuned pipe) and it's 120 on the level w/ a 12.5x10 (13x9 is the same). I'm at 6000'
Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Wing-Ding

Yes, but on a different plane. The Saito was on a GP Venus that met its demise (rolled out of a low knife-edge the wrong way). That's where the valve covers got messed up. The Venus was another hot-landing plane from GP! No nose-overs yet on the Revolver. Shouldn't have any once the CG is set sufficiently back.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:48 PM
cavandish

after a big dive, you will be pulling more than 130 level.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:09 PM
N495RD

If you are having trouble on the roll out on the runway, you can cut about 1/8 of an inch of fuel line and stick it between the tire and the wheel collar on one side of the tire. Make sure not to do it on both sides, and make sure the tire will still roll, it will allow you to keep the idle a little bit higher also. and it will take the chances of an engine out on the ground or on final approach at a low altitude. This trick really works, I have this on my Revolver and I run an old O.S. .60 with a 12x7 prop. Before I did this, I would land it on one end of the runway, and roll all the way to the other end. Now it stops really fast. Hope this helps. Also, Wing-Ding, if you are having trouble landing without bounces, make a longer and shallower approach, and come in with a little bit more speed, it will allow you to have a more effective elevator, and it will allow to hold up elevator to land in the three point attitude, and hold the plane on the runway. If you are wheel landing, once the mains touch, push the stick forward a little bit, it will help hold the Revolver on the runway better, and switch to Du-Bro low bounce tires, it will help too.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Wing-Ding

Great tips, N495RD. I removed the 420cc tank and replaced it with a 355cc tank. I also moved the tank back closer to the wing tube. I think that should help some with getting rid of some of the fuel weight that is forward of the CG.

Name:	Rp44029.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1302536  
Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I finally switched my engine to the saito I had on the shelf. My barrings went south so I took my evolution I have had for about 5 years off of the plane and put my saito 100 on it. It flys it well with a 15x6 prop, but I think i might put a 14x8 prop for just a little more speed. It actually lands a lot better with the saito than it did with the evolution. With the evolution I would almost always run out of runway. I will try and get another video up on youtube and when I do I will post it up here too.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 PM
mike early

my valve covers stick out of the bottom and have never touched the ground in 100 flights. it requires absolutely no elevator input to keep the tail firmly on the ground.

All my other planes are Warbirds and they are starting to get jealous. I fly this one far more often. Plus, the Saito 72 sips the fuel and I get a lot more flights out of a gallon that I ever imagined.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Wing-Ding

Still trying to get this plane to land without having to land too hot. Questions: 1. How much spoileron are you using? 2. Do think think 129mm (~5.08 inches) is too tail heavy? Thanks.

Marl
Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 PM
mike early

Every now and again, I still have to go around a few times. I keep forgetting how far out I have to kill the engine to get it slow enough to land. That said, when you get the wheels on the ground it slows down pretty good.....

It lands better with a 13x6 prop than it does with a 12x9 or 13x8, but it still takes a while to slow down....
Old 11-07-2009, 10:59 PM
rcfan450

ORIGINAL: Wing-Ding

Great tips, N495RD. I removed the 420cc tank and replaced it with a 355cc tank. I also moved the tank back closer to the wing tube. I think that should help some with getting rid of some of the fuel weight that is forward of the CG.
I made this adjustment to my plane today. It flew much better inverted, thanks for the tip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.