Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 PM
albsurfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Revolver

Has anyone used Byron Fuels 4S fuel? PowerMaster and Byron are the two brands we don't have to order locally. Is Wildcat better than the other two in 20%?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot easier to stick with what's available.

I'd say all fuels are a lot better than the best fuel was 20 years ago.....+
Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 PM
albsurfer

After seeing your posts on prop pitch on SAITOs, my buddy, the YS hop-up go-to-guy, was looking over the SAITO User & Parts manuals this morning to see how the cam, etc., are all put together in these engines. He said if the Exhaust port was dremel'd out smoother & a little larger, the cylinder base shaved .010", and the valves readjusted to compensate for the shaving, that it would see a huge power gain using 20-30% Nitro Heli fuel. We'll probably do it to my 100, but not right away. The port dremeling he does free-hand, no vices or stands.
He's always talking about how great YS engines are, with exceptions, and putting all the others down. Now he's decided that SAITO engines have more potential in ways because of the way the rods & cam are placed. Go figure... It's amazing how many people talk up what they know and put down everything else without finding out about what they don't know..... Of course, I shouldn't be so surprised about that.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 PM
mike early

The beauty of raising compression is you can use lower nitro.

Raising the compression and increasing nitro sounds like you could use a larger engine....
Old 01-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Chancho

The best part about this hobby is the variables that go into it. Given any engine, plane, compression, fuel, radio system, servo, this, that or the other - it's always something. The only thing that Ican absolutely gauarantee is that; what I think is the right way or best way today will be surely proven wrong tomorrow. "And I'm OKwith that."I enjoy all the friends and experiences that go into this process.There's no better hobby that can afford this. "Now you've got me thinking to take a Dremel tool to one of my perfectly good Saitos."

And dead on about fuels today vs. 20 years ago..Huge improvement across the board…
“What a great airplane and thread…”
Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
jet22b

Back in the old days, we did not have the net!!! You had to go to your local hobby shop or go your club field to talk shop. Now we can sit down at the computer, ask question and get tons of answer. Not only is fuel getting better, so are the engines. This thread has been a big help to me with the Great Planes Revolver. As soon as Tower get them back in stock I will pick up one and put it on the shelf in the work shop!!

Fly hard and play safe everyone!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Michael.L.

I started reading this massive Revolver thread on Sunday, ordered a Revolver from TH Monday night, already have a OS 46ax and 75ax, cant stop reading and cant wait to build it. Up to post 1076.  I am very new to rc airplanes, have only flown my trainers solo about 6 times but cant wait to try this plane.
 Thanks to everyone for all the information and hope you dont mind a few more questions in the coming weeks.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Michael.L.

Question about mufflers. On the OS website, under the 75ax parts listing, they have the J'TEC radiowave pitts listed as an option. Can one infer that to mean it has been tested by OS and wont have any back pressure problems (lack of) that I read about in this thread so far??
Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 AM
mike boxtall

Not sure about the Pitts style but I went with the Macs black muffler. A few guys I know do have that muffler on the 61FX and nobody has complained about the lack of pressure.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 AM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: Michael.L.

I started reading this massive Revolver thread on Sunday, ordered a Revolver from TH Monday night, already have a OS 46ax and 75ax, cant stop reading and cant wait to build it. Up to post 1076. I am very new to rc airplanes, have only flown my trainers solo about 6 times but cant wait to try this plane.
Thanks to everyone for all the information and hope you dont mind a few more questions in the coming weeks.
Michael.L.

Welcome to the thread!! Please do not take this the wrong way, but go ahead and build the Revolver, then wait till you have more time flying RC planes. I see in your post you said that you are new and only flown your trainer solo about 6 times. This plane is not like your trainer. Have someone in your club fly it for you so you can see what this plane can do. I have over 25+ years in this hobby and this bird made me look dumb on its first flight. I was so far behind the plane, that I was luck to get back on the ground in one piece. Now I have tons of fun with her. So go ahead and build the revolver, but, get more time on your trainer, and upgrade to a more advance plane before you fly this bird. You will be glad you did!!! Like I said before, please do not take this the wrong way. I just want you to be happy with this plane like we all do!!!

Sonny
ala
jet22b
Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 AM
mike boxtall

If you plan on using this plane as a second plane, and you have not flown anything other than your trainer plase do yourself a favor and have your flight instructor take it up and trim it for you. It is a great plane but if you have only flown trainers to this point you are entering a while new world of sport aircraft. This is a quick plane and will find the ground very fast if you don't know what to expect. It will go exactly where you point it and stay in that position where as a trainer will level itself off. Also for the first little bit I would suggest using your 46 until you are comfortable with the aircraft. Take your time with this plane and you will fall in love with it. Happy flying.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 AM
mike early

Terrible 2nd plane. Really.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 AM
mike boxtall

The revolver is not a terrible second plane, but please take your time with it. There are perhaps better second planes out there but it is definitely not the worst choice that you could have made. Just make sure you set the throws as per the manual and have a seasoned pilot there with you and don't over power it for the first year. Get comfortable with it. Your 75 is not going to sprout legs and walk away if you don't install it.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 AM
mike early

I cannot imagine trying to land this plane with only trainer experience.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
albsurfer

Yeah, I can't imagine this as your second plane, either. I used a Phoenix Models Tucano (46) as my second and we had to MAJORLY dumb down the controls. I flew on low rates for the rest of the time I had it. It would axial roll at the slightest touch on regular rates. I have seen the small Revolver in action and it's the same way. Elevator will be very touchy on landing. I know some seasoned pilots who have a hard time with the small Revolver at first. One would think that the big Revolver is going to fly similarly.

Allen
aka
albsurfer
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
mike boxtall

The larger Revolver has longer moments. It won't be as snappy. Although I did manage to cram a Saito 180 into it without adding tail weight. Can't wait for spring.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
sthill

Guys,

I agree that the revolver is not a great second plane. It was my 4th (Avistar, UltraStick, and Pulse XT preceding) and the Revolver certainly makes you think a couple of steps ahead compared to the previous planes. If really want to use this plane as your second (or third) plane I too would suggest installing the smaller power plant and using low rates to start. I have plenty of power with a .46AX and the reduced weight may make it a bit easier to slow down for landings. I know folks will probably argue that you just need to use the throttle with the .75AX, but over controlling (including over throttle) is a common problem when new(er) pilots get into trouble.

If you are a member of a club, it may not hurt to get a seasoned pilot to take you up on a buddy box for your first couple of flights so you can get used to it first. The revolver is a great plane, I like mine a lot, but does require some experience to keep out of trouble.

Just my $0.02…
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
albsurfer

COWL AREA & Engine Mount
After looking at the the GP Website photos, it looks like you could put almost anything in there. Maybe even a small gas engine, but you would have to cut a lot of the cowl bottom out.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Michael.L.

Thank you all for the great advice. I will absolutly let my instructors do the maiden and buddy box me to learn how this plane flys. And I took no offence to anyone's coments, indeed I'm very greatful.

Michael.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 PM
sthill

Michael L.,

Great attitude, I’m sure it will take you far in life (and this hobby!). Good luck with the Revolver and if you need any help, just ask.

Happy flying!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 AM
dropstick
My Feedback: (2)

anyone know where to find a cowl for the first revolver.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM
lippucci

Tower Hobbies. 17.99 but not till the end of Jan. Been out for 3 mos. Suggest you call first.

Norm
Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 PM
gtrcvry

i have the same one! i have O.S. 55 in it. i run a 11*6 or 12*6 prop depending opn the wind. Its fast as hell i would guess my best day was around 95-100 mph!! Have fun with it!!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:10 PM
gtrcvry

tower
Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Delete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.