Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 AM
HELI-MECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerbc
HELI-MECH I am back from my float fly holiday and have thought over what I would like to get for my wings . I would like $200 . For that I would give you three wings , two left and one right complete with ailerons and flaps also the struts and attachments plus the wing tube . I added up the replacement parts cost and it was over $560 . You would also have to pay for shipping and insurance if you wish . I am sorry I seem to be unable to PM you .. If you wish you could E mail me your Phone number and I would call you . I received your E mail but when I try to return I am unable for some reason .. I think shipping is going to be to expensive to make it worthwhile ..
Well its hard to turn down that offer. i'll have to recover them, but if i'm able to get them here without breaking the bank then i'll buy them from you. I'll email you my phone number.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:51 AM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by bikerbc
HELI-MECH I am back from my float fly holiday and have thought over what I would like to get for my wings . I would like $200 . For that I would give you three wings , two left and one right complete with ailerons and flaps also the struts and attachments plus the wing tube . I added up the replacement parts cost and it was over $560 . You would also have to pay for shipping and insurance if you wish . I am sorry I seem to be unable to PM you .. If you wish you could E mail me your Phone number and I would call you . I received your E mail but when I try to return I am unable for some reason .. I think shipping is going to be to expensive to make it worthwhile ..
i thought i had your email, but i dont. Here is mine... if i'm allowed to post it. since private messages arent working for some reason dont have much of a choice. [email protected]
Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 AM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by John_M_
HELI-MECH, you did one he** of a job repairing that cub... I like the black wheel hubs, what type of paint did you use?...

John M,
Hey there, thanks, work in progress, maybe get up flying this week... I used krylon fusion flat black paint, stuff works great on plastic and is very durable.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 AM
HELI-MECH

Default floats pulleys

was hoping to get this plane on its floats this year but may not get a chance to do so, but i started getting the floats ready, i have re-glassed the bottom of the hangar 9 floats to make them stronger and built some pulleys for the cable water rudder system.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140813_133027.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2022132  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 PM
johnp793
My Feedback: (30)

Fellow cub lovers- I just found this thread, having enjoyed one of these planes for a few years. Mine was purchased used at the WRAM show. It was powered by a Zenoah G-26, magneto engine, and was a delight to fly. Unfortunately, it was too much fun, and got caught in what must have been the slow speed tip stall described on Page 23 of this forum. Straight in from not very high. Totaled the front end of the fuselage, back to about the wings. Wings, LG, tail feathers are all OK. The broken pieces are too far gone to be able to jigsaw puzzle them back together, so my choices seem to be to buy a new fuse, cowl, etc from HH,,or to either find a used one for sale somewhere nearby (NAshville, not Poughkeepsie), or someone who has a usable fuselage and is missing the stuff I have. Can anyone help??.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:59 PM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by johnp793
Fellow cub lovers- I just found this thread, having enjoyed one of these planes for a few years. Mine was purchased used at the WRAM show. It was powered by a Zenoah G-26, magneto engine, and was a delight to fly. Unfortunately, it was too much fun, and got caught in what must have been the slow speed tip stall described on Page 23 of this forum. Straight in from not very high. Totaled the front end of the fuselage, back to about the wings. Wings, LG, tail feathers are all OK. The broken pieces are too far gone to be able to jigsaw puzzle them back together, so my choices seem to be to buy a new fuse, cowl, etc from HH,,or to either find a used one for sale somewhere nearby (NAshville, not Poughkeepsie), or someone who has a usable fuselage and is missing the stuff I have. Can anyone help??.
Sounds like the same kind d of damage i had. Have you considered rebuilding? Check back a few pages and compare damages, if its similar then it can be done. I fixed mine for about 30 bucks. how did your wings fair out?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 PM
johnp793
My Feedback: (30)

Originally Posted by HELI-MECH
Sounds like the same kind d of damage i had. Have you considered rebuilding? Check back a few pages and compare damages, if its similar then it can be done. I fixed mine for about 30 bucks. how did your wings fair out?
Thanks for the suggestion, Heli- Mech. In some ways, we're i good shape- need minor repairs on one wing, need to straighten one wing strut, and obviously, need to replace the wing tube. But- my front end and floor were smashed into smaller pieces than yours, and my cowl was pretty beat up. Unfortunately the pieces are gone. Are your templates available?And did they include the floor pieces?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:24 PM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by johnp793
Thanks for the suggestion, Heli- Mech. In some ways, we're i good shape- need minor repairs on one wing, need to straighten one wing strut, and obviously, need to replace the wing tube. But- my front end and floor were smashed into smaller pieces than yours, and my cowl was pretty beat up. Unfortunately the pieces are gone. Are your templates available?And did they include the floor pieces?
I kept all yhe templates but they are for my super cub conversion... wider fire wall, bigger tank support, and different dash. Not much for floor plans though. Too bad the damn fuses are so expensive. Almost better to buy a new plane for what the fuselage cost. Im going through that with wings right now.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:25 AM
HELI-MECH

Default 1/4 scale floats

Got the floats on and rigged up, pulleys worked great as well as the water retract system.

Name:	20140818_134754.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2023386   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140818_134740.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2023387   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140818_134726.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2023388  
Old 08-18-2014, 08:48 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice H-M... I wish we had a lake or body of water to fly off of... closest is the water district dam, and no one's allowed access... looks like fun though... that VW 40cc twin will be just right for float flying.

John M,
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 AM
HELI-MECH

Living on the lake is definitely a bonus, i feel more comfortable on floats than wheels I guess thats why i'm going to re-maiden it on floats this time. I had it bouncing around in the water last night, gets up on step nice and quick with the vvrc 40 twin. Came pretty close to taking it for a circuit but decided i'm going to wait for my new wings to arrive.

Name:	20140818_184622.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2023610  
Old 08-22-2014, 03:55 PM
SkyPilot101

Not too slow on airspeed this time around. Good Luck on the Re-Maiden
Old 08-22-2014, 05:08 PM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by SkyPilot101
Not too slow on airspeed this time around. Good Luck on the Re-Maiden
Haha nope, I'll be sure the 40 cc twin is pumpin when this maiden happens
Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Jb Stearman
My Feedback: (8)

HELI-MECH

It's great to see your cub on her feet again!
Well, I had MY turn in the" O S---" ! barrel. My cub refused to come out of that proverbial spin and ended up in the pond on the other side of the field with the wingtip about three from the bank. Somehow it was upright and almost flat with the nose about half submerged. The prop was a four inch stub, the cowl was destroyed, the door post was broken and there was a slight bend in the wing tube. No damage to the wings or rest of the fuselage, tail or landing gear. There wasn't even any torn covering and my windshield was still in perfectly good shape !!
In my shop, I pulled the engine, removed the carb, plug and muffler, cleaned them and saturated the engine with WD-40 until it ran out clear Used the heat gun to help dry out the nose. Ordered another cowl and wing tube. Recut and painted the cowl. Everything went back together fine. I also changed out the RX and ignition switches. Ran the engine to make sure it was OK.
Now for the good part. Why did it not recover ? I have done the maneuver with this plane before and the recovery was prompt. Maybe this time all the flight attitudes and speed were
just right to induce a no recovery scenario. The only other thing possible was that the left elevator servo went "south" on me for some unknown reason. The servo for that side was locked in the elevator up position. I use only Hitec HS 645 servos for all my flight controls. However when I built the cub I did notice that the left elevator would droop after sitting for a while. So I went back to the beginning of this forum and started reading. Seems others have had problems with spin recovery. The subject of washout entered the picture. Several methods were discussed and all made sense. For me, the simplest solution was posted by LIFER in post # 577. And that was to reflex the ailerons up 3/32" from natural. I reset my ailerons to these specs and went flying. With two mistakes high I came back on power and eased back on elevator. It stalled straight with no tendency to fall off on either wing. Spins are a no pucker factor event and with a little power, she just mushed along with no signs of a stall or spin. My cub now is even more of a joy to fly.
I guess my bottom line is that there will always be a learning factor. Thanks again for a great forum.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Once had a pattern plane called the "Velox" that went into a upright flat spin I intentional caused for practice. No matter what I tried it never recovered.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad I was able to help. It is an old variation of washout from my free-flight days.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:09 PM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by Jb Stearman
HELI-MECH

It's great to see your cub on her feet again!
Well, I had MY turn in the" O S---" ! barrel. My cub refused to come out of that proverbial spin and ended up in the pond on the other side of the field with the wingtip about three from the bank. Somehow it was upright and almost flat with the nose about half submerged. The prop was a four inch stub, the cowl was destroyed, the door post was broken and there was a slight bend in the wing tube. No damage to the wings or rest of the fuselage, tail or landing gear. There wasn't even any torn covering and my windshield was still in perfectly good shape !!
In my shop, I pulled the engine, removed the carb, plug and muffler, cleaned them and saturated the engine with WD-40 until it ran out clear Used the heat gun to help dry out the nose. Ordered another cowl and wing tube. Recut and painted the cowl. Everything went back together fine. I also changed out the RX and ignition switches. Ran the engine to make sure it was OK.
Now for the good part. Why did it not recover ? I have done the maneuver with this plane before and the recovery was prompt. Maybe this time all the flight attitudes and speed were
just right to induce a no recovery scenario. The only other thing possible was that the left elevator servo went "south" on me for some unknown reason. The servo for that side was locked in the elevator up position. I use only Hitec HS 645 servos for all my flight controls. However when I built the cub I did notice that the left elevator would droop after sitting for a while. So I went back to the beginning of this forum and started reading. Seems others have had problems with spin recovery. The subject of washout entered the picture. Several methods were discussed and all made sense. For me, the simplest solution was posted by LIFER in post # 577. And that was to reflex the ailerons up 3/32" from natural. I reset my ailerons to these specs and went flying. With two mistakes high I came back on power and eased back on elevator. It stalled straight with no tendency to fall off on either wing. Spins are a no pucker factor event and with a little power, she just mushed along with no signs of a stall or spin. My cub now is even more of a joy to fly.
I guess my bottom line is that there will always be a learning factor. Thanks again for a great forum.
wow, sounds like you got off easy! I wish I could have had mine flying that easily. I'm happy to hear you got it fixed right away and also learned from it. I have decided to get new wings for mine, hopefully figure out when soon enough. I still don't trust my wings to go playing around on floats with wings that I'm not comfortable with. What do you mean by the reflex of the ailerons? Is this both of them up 3/32 of an inch in the neutral stick position?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 AM
Jb Stearman

HELI-MECH,flycatch,Lifer
As the saying goes---I have a free airplane.
What I did was center aileron trim on the transmitter, manually adjust the ailerons to center them. From there, adjust each aileron up 3/32" from the natural stick position. I also added a bit of differential so that the aileron up travel is a little more than down travel. This helps smooth the turns with less lift on the outside wing panel.
By the way, I did change out the bad servo, Thinking about calling Hitec on it since it was a new servo.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:41 AM
HELI-MECH

HELI-MECH,flycatch,Lifer
As the saying goes---I have a free airplane.
What I did was center aileron trim on the transmitter, manually adjust the ailerons to center them. From there, adjust each aileron up 3/32" from the natural stick position. I also added a bit of differential so that the aileron up travel is a little more than down travel. This helps smooth the turns with less lift on the outside wing panel.
By the way, I did change out the bad servo, Thinking about calling Hitec on it since it was a new servo.
Awesome, thanks a ton, so i guess you went up 3/32 with the sub trim on the radio? I would contact hitec for sure.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Jb Stearman

HELI-MECH
I think I confused you a bit. The sub trim will only adjust both ailerons at the same time. One goes up while the other goes down to make small corrections during flight. I have an old Futaba 9c computer transmitter that I converted to 2.4. With it I can adjust each individual servo. Because I have flaps and floats; I am using an auxiliary channel for the second aileron. Therefore each can be adjusted independently.
Another and easier way would be to set your ailerons to neutral with the transmitter and physically make the 3/32" adjustment by turning the clevis out at the control horn on the aileron itself. This effectively moves the aileron upward. Leave the transmitter and receiver on to hold the ailerons centered while you make the adjustments. Hope this helps a little.

Jim
Old 08-29-2014, 03:41 PM
HELI-MECH

HELI-MECH
I think I confused you a bit. The sub trim will only adjust both ailerons at the same time. One goes up while the other goes down to make small corrections during flight. I have an old Futaba 9c computer transmitter that I converted to 2.4. With it I can adjust each individual servo. Because I have flaps and floats; I am using an auxiliary channel for the second aileron. Therefore each can be adjusted independently.
Another and easier way would be to set your ailerons to neutral with the transmitter and physically make the 3/32" adjustment by turning the clevis out at the control horn on the aileron itself. This effectively moves the aileron upward. Leave the transmitter and receiver on to hold the ailerons centered while you make the adjustments. Hope this helps a little.

Jim
ahhh yes, gotcha, brain fart on sub trim and ailerons moving in opposite direction. My other cub has the differential ailerons but this one I ran out of channels. I will try this method of manually adjusting linkage to get the upward ailerons.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Jb Stearman

HELI-MECH

Any updates on your rebuild?
Jim
Old 10-16-2014, 05:00 PM
HELI-MECH

HELI-MECH

Any updates on your rebuild?
Jim
it is in the garage... Hanging pretty... Batteries out, reciever out (changing everything over to frsky) It's on floats still and I haven't run the motor since August. I still need to find a right wing for this beast and refuse to pay nearly 300 dollars after shipping... Just sitting waiting till I find one used or damaged for a good price and cut the flaps in and install... Been flying foamies indoor in the school gym on Friday nights to keep thumbs nimble. Just ordered 51" aj slick for next years flying season as well. Getting cold here this time of year, snowed a few times already as well.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2040662   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2040663  

Last edited by HELI-MECH; 10-16-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple shots of an AW ARF I am currently working on. Not a Cub, but a Sport Cub.

Name:	IMG_0650.JPG
Views:	757
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	2040674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0655.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	2040675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	2040676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.JPG
Views:	717
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	2040677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2040678  
Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 PM
HELI-MECH

Originally Posted by Super08
Here are a couple shots of an AW ARF I am currently working on. Not a Cub, but a Sport Cub.
Sexy sexy sexy... Would trade my two kids for that.... Well maybe not but I got two cats and two dogs and a wife...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.