Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Models Ultimate 40S

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Models Ultimate 40S

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 AM
a68fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Ultimate 40S

I'm lookin' at a World Models Ultimate 40 size. (Ultimate 40S)

Of course, magazine review is favorable, from the web site model looks good. Any feedback or experience??

Allen

Old 09-04-2007, 09:56 AM
piroflip2

Default RE: World Models Ultimate 40S

a clubmate of mine has one, it flys very well but there were niggling build problems like pre-drilled holes not lining up etc.
nothing serious, just time consuming and annoying.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:51 AM
a68fan

Thanks!!! That's really no problem.. I'm an "arfer", so those little things are kinda' expected....

Allen
Old 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an amazing little thing.

There was a long thread about it's aileron rigging. It's worth your doing a search on these forums for it.

The rigging provided in the ARF winds up deflecting the ailerons at different rates, so they don't move equally. There is an easy fix. It's all in the earlier thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72631.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	756614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40902.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	756615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87435.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	756616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63067.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	756617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52766.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	756618  
Old 09-04-2007, 08:51 PM
aussiesteve

There's a couple of good threads on this model.
Make sure you use plenty of extra CA everywhere you can reach (and as many places as you can't reach). We had one that was pretty weak in all the joints but I have been assured that it must have been a "Friday plane".
When it was flying, it flew well it just didn't have much strength in any of its joints.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
ChuckW

I had one for a while. It's a pretty nice plane for the such a low price. With a .46-AX it was plenty fast. The only real weak spot I found on mine was the wing bolt plate. It would come loose even with only slight contact between the wingtip and the ground. Of course the best way to avoid that is to not put the wing on the runway in the first place. As with all of the lower cost ARF's, look it over good and beef it up where necessary.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86721.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	756802  
Old 09-05-2007, 08:13 AM
a68fan

Wonderful!!!

Thanks guys for all the info.. I'll try the search...

Allen
Old 09-05-2007, 02:17 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Can't wait to finish mine!
I am using Hitec super thin servos for
ailerons. They are mounted inside the wing on servos
covers. The only thing exposed will be the control rod.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:02 PM
a68fan

So much material!!

Can someone give me a link to "Changing the ailerons"?? I have not been able to find it...

Thanks!!!

Allen
Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

I've got one of these little buggers too. Some of the work is done but I can't find the aileron info either. Was going to go ahead and go by the "not too good directions". lol I only got it to use my OS 46 and Futaba 3004s on. Actually all the stuff that was in my Twist will go in it. If you find the info, link it here please.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Prowler19762001

i got one of these planes about 3 weeks ago , took me about 10 hrs or so to get it ready to fly, like many others i did not like the idea of a micro servo running four ailerons so i used a futaba s3004, took it to the field for its maiden, and ran into a problem the servo did not seem to want to give me much throw in my ailerons, after some fooling around i realized i did not glue the rods that connect the lower ailerons together, so i did this with some thin CA, that helped a bit, but was still pretty much having the same problem on further investigation i figured out the ailerons were real stiff, i took it home and worked them up and down like crazy, but still no joy so to remedy my problem i cut a bigger hole in the wing and turned the servo so that it was length ways across the cord then added a second servo right beside it i know this added a lil bit of weight but aileron problem solved.

as far as the overall build it was pretty straight forward the jigs to align the wings was great, unlike the above post all my predrilled holes lined up nicely, and i loved the clear cowling with that i probably made my best looking cowling ever as far as cutting it out around the engine, i opted for mounting the engine on its side just because i do not like sticking my hands underneath a running plane especially one that sits that low. once it was complete i checked the CG and it was right on i mounted the reciever next to the fuel tank, and the battery near the firewall on top of the tank in the opening there my setup is

servos: 5 futaba s3004 (2 aileron 1x rudder 1x elevator, 1 x throttle
RX: Futaba Par 2 4ch
TX: Futaba 7cap
engine: O.S. 55 AX
Battery: Futaba 1500mah

the plane flies great, has enormous amounts of power with that .55, its pretty fast, and pretty touchy on the controls even with the suggested throws, T/O is a lil touchy with all that power it wants to roll from the torque, flight is nice once you get comfortable with the controls, it doesn't like to land.....lol our field is surrounded by trees by the time i get low enough you almost half to force it down, cuz it gains alot of speed on the decent.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:40 AM
da Rock

like many others i did not like the idea of a micro servo running four ailerons so i used a futaba s3004,
Micro?

I just pulled out the assembly booklet. I built mine back in early 2006, and those plans didn't suggest any size servo. And the pictures weren't good enough to read the numbers on the Futabas they used.

At least a Hitec 225 Mighty Mini works great. It's not only lighter than the s3004 by 30% (.9oz versus 1.3oz) but it's stronger. The HiTec puts out 56oz-in while the Futaba does 44oz-in.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: a68fan

So much material!!

Can someone give me a link to "Changing the ailerons"?? I have not been able to find it...

Thanks!!!

Allen
Basically all you need to do is look at DaRock's pictures above.

I've done the above on one 40S, and left the default setup on, on another.

There really wasn't a lot of difference in the handling of the plane. I'd imagine that it would be much more effective on a larger plane...

I did as per DaRock's suggestion on my 1.20 sized Ultimate.

The Hitec Mini is sufficient to drive all four aileron's w/o problems. This plane doesn't need a huge amount of control surface movement.

"Binding" is the big bugaboo. You MUST make sure that your ailerons move easily to their extremes with very little force.

Make sure that you leave sufficient gap in the hinges to permit this. You don't want too much, and you don't want too little.

The width of one of the control rods should suffice.