Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SIG Sun Dancer ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SIG Sun Dancer ARF

Old 10-24-2007, 01:01 PM
perpetualrepair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Sun Dancer ARF

Was recently given this plane, it has been sort of put together but obviously by someone with little experience, the manual is very sketchy in the area of the top wing mounting to the Fuse, the picture shows (poorly) that there has been a piece of balsa put under the aluminium joiner , is that correct?. i have no info on this in the manual, it would seem that it lifts the top wing high so the cabane struts are pulling the wing tips down, gut feeling is it shouldn't be there but i don't know so am asking.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96635.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	789589   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97183.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	789590  
Old 10-25-2007, 12:54 AM
rcluver

Default RE: SIG Sun Dancer ARF

I just looked through the manual of my Sundancer, and I cannot remember my wing looking like that. Almost looks like the wood was stripped out by over tightening the screw. Looks like that is how the guy tried to fix it. On my Sundancer the wing was solid in that area, with a hole drilled where you were to screw in that bolt. Yours looks like the sheeting has been cut away. According to the manual, the top wing incedence should be 0 degrees, and my wing tips are not pulled down at the tips. Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

rcluver: The picture looks like a giant scale Sundancer. Your description sounds like a Sundancer 50.

perpetual: I just sold my Sundancer and I gave the manual away with it, but I don't think the balsa should be there. You can probably call Sig and ask.

Jim
Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 AM
perpetualrepair

My apologies guys, i forgot there are more than one Sun Dancer

Yes Jim it is a 72" Sun Dancer, I think the person who put it together did it more to sit it on a shelf than fly,
the top wing was bent down slightly at each tip, but thankfully not epoxied well, so i was able to reglue it and straighten it,
the bottom wing i think is fairly well put together, but will check the incidence on it when i get my meter. and see if it will open up at the centre and allow the intro of more epoxy. the manual i have (courtesy SIG) gives no indication of the correct amount of dihedral on the lower wing, it is a push fit with dihedral braces. so should be fairly idiot proof.
any tips you can remember from yours would be helpful.
What engine did you use/. and how did it fly. I am using a Brillelli 50cc gasser and HiTec HS646MS servos,
Thanks PR
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 AM
perpetualrepair

ORIGINAL: rcluver

I just looked through the manual of my Sundancer, and I cannot remember my wing looking like that. Almost looks like the wood was stripped out by over tightening the screw. Looks like that is how the guy tried to fix it. On my Sundancer the wing was solid in that area, with a hole drilled where you were to screw in that bolt. Yours looks like the sheeting has been cut away. According to the manual, the top wing incedence should be 0 degrees, and my wing tips are not pulled down at the tips. Hope this helps.
my mistake luver. it was a free gift and the person who started putting it together was a bit sloppy, never mind we will sort it and i am sure it will become a favourite flyer. PR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62761.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	790080  
Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Perpetual:

I had a G-62 in it. It flew very well and was impressive in the sky. I used Hitec HS645s all around.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the dihedral as long as the incidences are OK and same on each side. I don't recall whether the incidence of the top wing matched the bottom wing. (Another question to ask Sig.)

Your Brillelli should be a good choice. The G-62 had good power, but it was heavy and I had to move the batteries to the tail and still add some balance weight.

Jim
Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 AM
perpetualrepair

Thanks for the rundown, SIG have been really great with help. they emailed me a copy of the Manual, gave me a breakdown of all the parts i was missing with prices. absolutely fantastic customer service.
Mind you I have owned and built six of their planes, so maybe they owe me,
I have now ground those pieces of balsa out and the wing sits almost flat on the struts will do some final tweaking when i get my incidence meter, and i am going to see if i can add some epoxy to the wing joint on the lower wing and snug it together a bit tighter, it looks as if the right tip is about a 1/4 low.
thanks again PR,