Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*Seagull Extra 260 90 ARF*

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*Seagull Extra 260 90 ARF*

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: *Seagull Extra 260 90 ARF*

yes.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 PM
jmohar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would imagine so... seems that the tail surfaces are not all that strong.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what the covering is? I cannot find any statements about what the covering is. Some of the other Seagull kits say covered in ultracoat.

Thanks,

John
Old 04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
capt1597

well i finally got to fly this plane after waiting for spring to break here in northern ohio. this plane is rock steady, smooth,just a delight. for swoop and loop type of flying that i so enjoy this is a pefect match. it takes off in 30 ft and lands as gentley as any trainer. i know this is not a light plane by 3d standards but it deffently does not fly heavy. it lands much slower than any of my warbirds do. with some 12 landings now the my landing gear has not bent at all. i am very pleased to have this in my fleet.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM
rdawson

Hello, I have the Seagull Edge 260 with a OS Max 1.20 Engine. What is the best C.G. starting point for this plane with the wing and canopy off and by simply picking up the fusealage. Where should it balance? On the tube spar or where? Would someone that flies one just pick up the fusalage with wing off and canopy off and tell me where it balances as measured back from the front edge of the canopy back. How many inches or millimeters. I do not trust Seagulls measurments. Please advise, Thanks, Roy
Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 PM
rdawson

Yea I have a Seagull Extra 260 and wondered the same thing. Nothing on the box that indicates the covering. At Horizon Hobbies it indicates the covering and specs as follows.
Key Features
Lightweight laser-cut balsa and plywood construction
.90-size airframe, popular Extra platform
Covered in genuine Hangar 9 UltraCote
Quality fiberglass cowl
Excellent combination of aerobatic performance and value

I am not so sure? When I take mine out to fly in the sun it wrinkes all to hell. I then take it home and shrink it but with not good results!!! Can anyone varyify the covering is truley covered in genuine Hangar 9 UltraCote. Thanks, Roy
Here is the link to the ad..
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SEA5025
Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

As far a covering when I got mine home the first thing I did is run an iron over the entire thing, making sure to press hard enough so the glue with adhere. I've started doing this with all my planes. As I was building it I would occasionally let it sit in the sun and then I ironed over the wrinkles again. The covering will discolor when it’s hot but comes back to the original color when it cools. If you iron most coverings to much eventually they will not stick so that’s why it do it first thing real good. After that it didn’t wrinkle that much. Actually I found this covering was easy to work with and not that bad compared to coverings.

CG...I don't understand what you are trying to achieve by setting the CG up without the wings, canopy is optional. I put a Satio 125 4 stroke in mine and set the CG at the mid point of the 2 measurement they gave in the manual. That worked out well for me. Add up the 2 measurements and then divide by 2 the result it you mid point. If you are in doubt about the CG set it to the forward most measurement they give. So in the worst scenario you'll drive into the ground on take off and maybe just break a prop. Then you can adjust it back until you know you can always land it with no problem and still achieve the flying characteristics you like.

A word of caution if you are haven't flown anything similar to the 260 it is very quick on the ailerons. Make sure your using enough exponential on the ailerons and elevator, and if you have expo on the rudder use it. I set both ailerons and elevator to 70%. Unfortunately Airtronics doesn't offer expo on the rudder. As I said before this guy is quick on the turns so set the throws for sports flying until you get use to it. If you already fly aerobatic then you should already know how to set it up.
Good Luck and Happy Landings
Shubova
[8D]
Old 04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Shubova

Oh if forgot to mention I have found the covering from the same manufacture will react differently depend on the color. It much have to do the chemicals they use to get different colors. I found that silver Top Flite MonoKote if the worst.
Shubova
[8D]
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 PM
capt1597

been flying this bird alot lately and i have to say this plane is a great blend stability and playfulness. boy it is fun!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM
rdawson

Here is my build and flight review on Youtube for the Seagull Extra 260

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW4KinhFCY0
Old 04-24-2009, 10:02 AM
capt1597

watchin your vidio was great, thanks for sharing. after reading ezchoppers opinion about balancing this bird i opted to follow the directions, balance at the wimg tip and i went for the 8cm mark and find this to be nice. when inverted i need just slight down pressure as well as very docile slow flying. i do fly this bird with a os91fx and it rips thiis plane thru the sky, wieghs less, doesn't need the extra fuel on board. i am sure the 120 is *****ing but i feel th 91 rocks in this also. the 91 is a much higher reving engine than the 120 and proped accordenly. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I have an OS 75 in mine and it flys great! It probably won't hover but has good vertical and plenty fast. I usually like extra power but think it is not necessary in this plane unless you are into 3D.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: capt1597

watchin your vidio was great, thanks for sharing. after reading ezchoppers opinion about balancing this bird i opted to follow the directions, balance at the wimg tip and i went for the 8cm mark and find this to be nice. when inverted i need just slight down pressure as well as very docile slow flying. i do fly this bird with a os91fx and it rips thiis plane thru the sky, wieghs less, doesn't need the extra fuel on board. i am sure the 120 is *****ing but i feel th 91 rocks in this also. the 91 is a much higher reving engine than the 120 and proped accordenly. just my 2 cents.

I'm currently building mine and I'm quite impressed how nice it is. The directions aren't very clear but I've built enough ARF aircraft to get around some of the obsticals. I too bought a O.S. 91 FX for it... I'm not a big 3-D fan and I like my planes to fly more scale like.

If I choose 9cm back... would I be in the safe zone for the CG? I did put my battery all the way forward just behind the firewall zip-tied just like rdawson did on his.I did this because I know the O.S. 91 is lighter than the 1.00 or the 1.20 and putting it there would be a good decision. All of you who has this bird... what is a good comfortable Expo setting for this bird, is 80% good to start with for sport or scale flying?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
capt1597

i was flying this plane yesterday and it is fun. at 8 cm i get inverted flight with no down pressureon the stick so i recomend not starting any farther aft.. really i will recomend you start at 7 cm to get a feel for the plane and then move aft. at 8 cm as i slow towards stall speed she does get  a little more tip stall sensitive bit still very managable. do not misunderstand, this is a very stable flying plane. so far i like 14-6 prop with the 91 for this plane.happy flying,capt
Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

Hey Capt, thanks for the info... are you using around 75- 85Expo on yours? Ok, Horizon Hobby said that the manual is correct on the CG. The Seagull Dual Ace Horizon did a CG update and has it as a manufactrure update.

I'm only guessing and it's only my opinion so please people don't get mad at me. I too feel that we get many people in here over powering their aircraft... scale or otherwize. My wife said it's to make up for their small Peck@rs.

When I first joined my local clubmy friends told me that many of these ARF aircraft have been tested by the manufacture. They try many engines and experiment until handles well. That's where they get there ranges of engines and equipment. I haven't built a ARF yet that was under powered when I stuck to the specs. But of course I like to fly scale... not 3-D, that's just me.

I don't know if I'm the only person who thought of this, but our aircraft was tested using a .90, so the CG and reccommendations were correct. When you put larger engines and modify your aircraft in any way that will change the angle of attack on the wings resulting in a change in CG. I noticed that rdawson had his rudder servo in the rear... that does shift the balance and produces a little more drag.

I have a JR 1400 mAh battery in the plane with JR DS 811 Servo's and one JR ST47 Servo for the throttle.

The only thing I found wrong with the directions was it showed to use the supplied balsa to go across on top of the tank for support. I did that and my hatch wouldn't slide in anymore. Duhhhh! So I cut some groves in the balsa now it doesn't prevent the hatch from going in.

Battery and glow tank is well padded incase of crashes.

I didn't like the thin cheap push rod that was supplied so I had extra threaded pushrod and I put on a Durbro Clevis on it for the throttle.

I'm going to run it with a 14x7 Master Airscrew 3 bladed Prop with a Tru-Turn 2-3/4" spinner for when I want to fly scale like. I have a Master Airscrew S-2 Series 15x6 twobladed prop with a Tru-Turn 2-3/4" spinner for racing.

This is what I've completed as of yet...

I went wide on the landing gear for extra stability instead of being close together like it shows in the manual.

Later today I'll be breaking in the O.S. 91 FX. More picks of the project to come. So far this ARF is going together quite nice. I'm using most of the stock hardware except for the servo and cowl screws. I like to use the button head screws from RTL Fasteners for the cowl, and the black allen servo screws for the servo's. I really like RTL, they have good screws and bolts and they have fantastic customer support.

If Seagull keeps making good ARF aircraft like this plane... Hanger 9 now has good competition. This is a fun plane to build, no headaches so far.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:00 PM
capt1597

nice pictures,thanks for sharing! i was out flying the 260 again tonight and of course i am still loving how it is flying.so lets talk props for an os91fx. if one reads the manual one would assume that your choises are good BUT go to tower hobbies then os91fx then read their tec write up and you will find there is updated prop info and then go to OS web page and there is another update for props on this engine that are similar.it all boils down to - this engine needs, likes, wants,does best at high RPM. 13/6, 13/8, 14/6 and let her rip. look i am still running on the rich side, and she still warbells at mid range and iam am getting unlimited vertical with the 14/6 ( it is not fast but she keeps going up ). i expect to get more with some more time on this engine and then a little leaner setting. i like the 13/8 also. inthe the future i plan to switch from apc to vess which seem to me to be more efficent yet. while still at these sizes. happy flying capt.    PS,  your wife is correct !
Old 05-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: capt1597

nice pictures,thanks for sharing! i was out flying the 260 again tonight and of course i am still loving how it is flying.so lets talk props for an os91fx. if one reads the manual one would assume that your choises are good BUT go to tower hobbies then os91fx then read their tec write up and you will find there is updated prop info and then go to OS web page and there is another update for props on this engine that are similar.it all boils down to - this engine needs, likes, wants,does best at high RPM. 13/6, 13/8, 14/6 and let her rip. look i am still running on the rich side, and she still warbells at mid range and iam am getting unlimited vertical with the 14/6 ( it is not fast but she keeps going up ). i expect to get more with some more time on this engine and then a little leaner setting. i like the 13/8 also. inthe the future i plan to switch from apc to vess which seem to me to be more efficent yet. while still at these sizes. happy flying capt. PS, your wife is correct !
Hey Capt1597, sorry about not responding as quick... I'm a Bicycle Tech at a sporting goods store and I'm at the beginning of the season. That means no sleep, and hardly any time off. I thank God for ARF aircraft... if this was a kit, I wouldn't have this thing ready until next year!

Yes I'm going to play around with the prop sizes until I find the one I like best. My throws will be set for sport ( Low Settings) then I'll go from there. I have my Expo set for 75%... I guess that's a good place to start, I hate to have a maiden flight that the controls are so sensitive... that if I sneeze, the plane would flip on its back. It make landings quite tricky!

Well I got more work done on my plane, I broke in my O.S. 91 FX Ring and when I was finished with the break in, I went to replace the glow plug with a new one and the the thread in the head was screwed up. I noticed when I started the new glow plug before the break in that it didn't feel right, I turned it by hand half way then it would stop. I tightened it down with my Glow Wrench anyway and figured I'll look at it after break in.

Well, when I put the new one after break in it went in well, but when I went to tighten it, the thread was striped. I called O.S. (Hobbco) and they told me I didn't violate the warrenty and they would send me a new one.

Mean time I have to wait a bit before I'm ready to fly. That only means more time to get the work done on my plane.

I applied a Epoxy bead around the the engine box (Fire Wall) because it was the only place I saw that didn't have enough hot glue from the factory. Now I don't have to worry about it breaking loose.

I re-routed the receiver wire so my Pull-pull rudder system won't interfere.

I made everything nice and neat.

When I went to press down and get the CA hinges to slide in the groove I made, the Epoxy started to set on me. I only had the 6min Epoxy on hand so I had to work fast. By the time I got everything lined up the glue set on me, so I couldn't get the rudder as flush as I wanted it to. It's a 1/16" gap, but it will not effect anything and it is so slight . I don't thinkany one would have noticed it unless I mentioned it... which I did to you fine folks. I'm one of those who would post my minor goof ups, justas much my major accomplishments.

Got the glow fuel line hooked up. I'm debating on getting a thinner muffler so the cowel fits a little better. Has anyone done this yet, and cut vent holes in the cowlso the engine will cool properly?

Slapped together to see how nice it looks. Like all Seagull models, the box artalways stinks compared to the actualARF kit inside. Right now I'm waiting for my Tru-turn adaptor for my engine, I'll have to look it up and order it... I don't think my LHS has it in stock. And I have to get a JR extra long Servo arm for my rudder servo. Then I guess that's all I need more to buy, then I'm ready to fly.

In a couple of days I will bring out the windex and start playing with the stickers. I'll post more photo's soon. I customized the wheel pants a little so I could quickly take them off or on at the field. That flat wooden plywood that goes in the pants as a spacer so the fiberglass wouldn't crack? Well, it has a hole in it... instead of leaving the hole and going by the unclear directions, I groved the pants and plywood washer together and got two larger metal washers to bolt the pants on. Now the pants comes off or on when I loosen the bolt. It's good if I have to fly at a airshow that has tall grass. Other than that, besides the the throttle pushrood, servo screws and RTL fasteners button head screws for the cowl and the foam tail wheel, I kept everything stock with the hardware. Matter in fact the hardware is almost as good as the hardware that comes with most Hanger 9 aircraft! Of coarse that's just my opinion.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

Well people, I did some more work on my Extra, I installed the "Pull Pull" rudder cables and a few decals. Then I teamed up with my LHS owner and I had a brain storm of a idea!

Got Smoke? I do. It took a bit of planing ahead of time. I had a left over glow tank from a previous Seagull Dual Ace ARF that I gave up on, it is a 8 oz. tank that is perfect for what I wanted to do. I had a left over sullivan 10oz. tank and I used the guts out of that and made it work for the Stock Seagull 8oz. tank. I made a 1/8" plywood brace for the tank high enough so the tank would not interfere with the rudder servo, and I used Sig Foam on the bottom of the Canopy hatch, and the the brace itself and the cardboard tube.

I have a 6 volt Expert Pro 1500 NIMh: 1500mah battery to operate my Supper Smoke, Ipadded and foamed righton the other side of themain glow tank even with the main battery that sits on the other side of the main glow tank. Makes the plane balance more even side to side.

The plane is a few ounces heavier, but not enough to hinder its flight preformance too much from what the guys at my LHS has told me. I just got the Tru-Turn adaptor kit for my O.S. .91 FX Ring. I had to cut the end of theallen bolt that was supplied with the 2 3/4" 3 bladed spinner about 3mm with the Dremal, I could tighten down the bolt andTru-Turn Spinner the way it was... It was the right adaptor, so I guess Tru-turn didn't get the depth right and the stock allen bolt they sent was a hair too long. No biggie, it was a easy fix... just had to re-tap the bolt after cutting.

More to come when I get the time.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

UPDATE!

Since my last Post I re-designed the breather for the smoke tank, I attatched another check valve to the vent line and it is NOT attatched to the muffler, so when I hit the switch, the smoke pump can suck the fluid out of the tank and I don't have to worry about contaminents. I seemed to have my setup a little wrong in the picture. The way I had it set up I risked smoke fluid going back in the smoke tank and the glow tank.

I'll send my up to date photo's soon.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

It's Done!!! I took the smoke system out, it was way too heavy for this plane for my liking, also the stock muffler didn't get hot enough to produce smoke. I hope to test the bird this coming Sunday if the weather permits. I have the balance 2" back from the leading edge at the wing tips, when I put a tight string accross it (with the help from my wife) it was 75 mm measured back from the front of the hatch on the fuse.

Sorry about the blurry photo's... my wife hasn't downloaded my favorite photo shop program on this brand new computer we just bought yet, so I'm limited in what I can do to clean up the photo's until then. []
Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

Well, I finally had my maiden today. WOW!!!

First flight the cross wind was gusting about 6 mph- 9mph. so I waited until 7pm at night when the wind died down about 5 mph. When I cracked open the throttle she came alive, tail came up with ease and first thing I knew the plane was in the air. It was a handful keeping it under control until I got everything trimmed out. She was a little nose heavy, but other than that she screamed like a F-16 when I did a full throttle fly by. It was comfortable with about 70% throttle. One thing I noticed was it was so touchy on the controls that if I had sneezed on the controller, it would have flipped the plane over inverted. I cut the throttle at a distance on my final. I noticed she doesn't have a very good glide rate... but someone told me the Edges and Extra's aren't very good gliders and likes a little speed or nose down to keep the airspeed up until flare.

When I finally was landing and I started to flare before touch down, ( Plane was only 1'1/2 feet off the ground) the wind gusted up and made my right wing tip dip almost catching the grass, I caught it in time to level out the wings and landed it a little rough, but on the tires and only two bounces. When I taxied it at my pit, I killed the engine and I got a standing applause by all the members of my club. I fell to the ground in relief!

I told them it was the hardest plane I ever flew, and that I couldn't handle anything more high preformance. I told them how it handled and one of the guys told me to re-check the Expo. [X(]

My Expo was on 0%!!! I bumped the switch accidently and hadn't dialed in the Expo for that switch setting... I only did the low end settings with a 1" up down elevator and my Expo was set at 75%. No wonder it was very touchy! Oops

Now with the Expo is set in my radio for both the high and low rate switch, my second flight was a joy! It was very fun to fly and she handled like a dream. Runing a 14x6" Master Airscrew triple prop, it screams... It would be a good .91 class semi-scale racer JMHO.

I forgot to ask someone to take video of my first flight at the field... sorry guys, but I did manage to take these pic's one before the flight, and one after the first flight. Man those wheel wells like to collect grass cuttings... it looked like to Rat nests fell out when I lifted the plane back on my field stand.

It was a honor today at my field, most everyone took a picture of my plane with their wireless phones. First time that ever happened, I must have done well. It's hard to impress the "Ol-timers." And I'm glad I'm doing something right. [8D]
Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 AM
snoshoe62

Anyone know where I can get a set of carbon fiber landing gear for the Seagull 260 Extra 90? even something close in size?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
snoshoe62

Anyone know for sure what the fuel tank capacity is?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Shubova

[color=#0033CC]There are some simple equations you can use to calculate it for your self. Width x height x length is one. Your answer will be the cubic form. Find a conversion chart were you can find the volume... Or Try this formula 1 cubic inch is = to 0.5541126 oz., do the math. The answer is aprox size of tank in oz's...
Shubova!
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Skyhawk940

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone having problems with the plane crokscrewing to the right when the elevator is near the limit? I have a thread going in the question and answers section. 120 saito, 16/6 prop, 8700 RPM. 9.5 pounds. The thing is driving me crazy. It flys good untill you feed in more than a little elevator, then it rolls to the right. Anyone else having this problem with thiers????? See the thread for more details.

Skyhawk
Sandusky, OH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.