Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

FS

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 06:23 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on Engine for U-Can-Do-3d

I'd go with the 91 FX since it is the biggest reccomended engine. On an aerobatic plane, go with the biggest engine you can safely put in it unless it's going to be very heavy. Any of the OS FX series engines run great. My 46 FX starts with a chicken stick on the first flip, hot or cold, and the 61s and 91s I've seen at the field are just as good.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:34 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Need advice on Engine for U-Can-Do-3d

Watch the weight... 3D is all about keeping the plane LIGHT. If its heavy it won't do some of the maneuvers, no matter what the power. Thus... the lighter LA series may be a good option to consider.

For torque... can't beat a 4-stroke. And the .91 FS is lighter than the .61 FX, and gives more power. That's the main reason that of the listed choices.. I'd use the .91 FS. And once you try the FS... you may not want to try a 2-stroke again. They are that good.

One thing about the O.S. 4-stroke mufflers... soft metal. Easy to overtorque and strip the threads. Use Permatex "Copper" silicone High temp gasket sealant instead of the lock-nut. It won't vibrate loose and you won't strip out the threads. It breaks free easilly when you want it off.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:07 PM
eness76

Default FS

I have the UCD on order myself, and a new 91 fs II waiting for it. As for the pumped version, it doesn't make any more power at all, just allows you to mount the tank where ever you want. I saw one get horsed around very well with a Saito 91, so i'm confident the Surpass II will do a great job, considering they typically make a little more horsepower, although weigh a little more then the Saitos.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:51 AM
eness76

Default UCD

I flew my UCanDo last weekend with the SurpassII non pumped and it was pretty good. It'll hover at about 1/2 throttle on a 15*4W, and slowly but surely climb out. The engine is brand new, so it may break in more, it actually picked up 150 rpms from Saturday to Sunday. Even if it doesn't though, I was more then pleased with it. The plane flies awesome, it's so stable and can fly soooo slowww. I had my CG at 5-5.25 inches and it wouldn't waterfall with just down elevator, but with up flap also it would do a very stable waterfall, and it didn't try and bail out the side as much as a Scale Aerobatic plane. I've moved the CG to 6" for this weekend's festivities so I'll report on the performance then. I just want it to flatten out in Flat Spins more, and tighten up in a knife edge spin. It required a little more down elevator then I like inverted at 5" too.