Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 73" wingspan Cap 232 landing question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 73" wingspan Cap 232 landing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 12:41 PM
kirtley-delete
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 73" wingspan Cap 232 landing question

When I come in on final for landing and reduce power, the nose of my H9 73" Cap 232 tends to rise. This causes a rapid decrease in airspeed. Could the cause of this be either tail heavy or need some down thrust?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 04-08-2003, 03:37 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Ed..... (I assume this is not the horse !!... of course!!)

try inverted flight , if the plane climbs you are most likely tail heavy. down thrust will make it worse. many cap's land rather "nose-high" especially when balanced toward the rear of cg.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:44 PM
aerobat66-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

My 33% Cap did the same thing, even though it wasn't tail heavy. I think it's a thrust line issue.

To counter this, I put in about 5% down elevator on my transmitter landing switch. It activates at about 1/4 throttle and below. It helped a great deal.

John
Old 04-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Steve Campbell2

Mine did the same thing. I think aerobat66 is right; it is a thrust line issue.

At first, I just kept the power on and flew it all the way down. Then I tried playing with my 9Z's Airbrake function (spoilerons mixed with elevator), and that was the trick.

Steve
Old 04-09-2003, 01:15 AM
aerobat66-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Default Thrust line

Ed, I went back and read your original post again. I think down thrust would make the problem worse. With power on, the engine would be pulling the nose down. When you reduced power, that force would diminish, and the nose would rise. If anything, up thrust would help the landing problem, but it would likely cause other tracking problems during the rest of the flight.

I haven't tried the spoileron trick, but it sounds like it would help. I just couldn't get used to pushing down elevator five feet above the ground. With the down mixed in, I'm actually holding neutral, or even pulling the stick back a little, which feels much more natural.

I would suggest you try both the spoileron and down elevator mix, and see which one works best for your particular setup and flying style. Keeping the power on until you actually start the flare works too, but it's something you have to make into a habit.

John
Old 04-09-2003, 02:07 AM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

Default H9 73" cap

I have the same plane. It did exactly the same thing on landing. Turns out it was tail heavy. Moved the CG forward and the problem went away.

Smokey
Old 04-09-2003, 05:28 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trim for straight and level flight. Fly past yourself at full throttle and then abruptly chop the throttle. If the nose rises, you need more upthrust. Most CAP's require from 1/2 to 1 1/2 degrees up to behave themselves. I added up to my Midwest Little Cap and my H9 CAP, like yours, and it helped both of them. Also had a friend with an Ohio RC CAP and he did the same thing.

Rein