Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WORLD MODELS AT6 TEXAN 72"

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WORLD MODELS AT6 TEXAN 72"

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 PM
mjg3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WORLD MODELS AT6 TEXAN 72"

i know that someone is flying this plane out there somewhere. come on give me and whoever else is reading this some info [8D] thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 PM
mjg3

i know that someone is flying this plane out there somewhere. come on give me and whoever else is reading this some info [8D] thanks or maybe should the warbird section? anything will be greatly apperciated.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:07 PM
bpbat21

I ve have several flights on mine...I am using the O.S. 91 4 stroke with a 14X6 prop. I haven't added any weight to my plane. AND Im flying her without the oil cooler and air intake on the cowling. I just moved my batteries and radio equipment as far back as wires would allow. With the engine mounted inverted, I only had to notch the cowling for the exhaust. The plane flys well. It has plenty of power for go arounds. Don't expect to cob her and go verticle. I guess I am just used to screaming around the sky with my 2 strokes. I used a low profile hitech retract servo. Seems to do the trick. It was windy the last time I flew. I couldn't even taxi. It would weather vane. It took off in about 10 feet or less. It flew fine in the chop. I didn't get a chance to use the flaps because I didn't need them with the amount of head wind I had. If you have any other questions let me know.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Just building one myself. It will have a Saito 100. I'll let you know what I see as I go through things.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:59 PM
mmmyers

I have one on the way. Has anyone found a replacement set of retracts that will work? My club has a grass field, most of those factory retracts eventually have to be replaced.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:03 PM
MerlinFan
My Feedback: (27)

Don't worry about the World retracts they hold up well and are way better than H9 and VQ's. I have even bought set of WM retracts for my VQ Sea Hurricane. You could enlarge the wheelwells to fit bigger tires. This plane is hard to noseover and if it does it will sit right back down on its tail.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 PM
ram3500-RCU

Just last Wednesday maidened my WM AT6. Saito 100 for power. Had a 10 to 15 kt crosswind but decided to go anyway. Take off was great. All surfaces were neutral. Perfect. Balance at 28% and it was perfect. Made a couple approaches and then the final approach but had trouble with some gusting at the flare and came in hard on the gear. To my amazement, when we tested the gear back in the pits, They retracted dead center into the wells. No hint of any bending or movement.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61003.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	998198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fu62205.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	998199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84590.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	998200  
Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 PM
ram3500-RCU

I had the plane built in three evenings. Everything is usable and except for the set-screw connectors for the servo arms. I use Rocket City or great planes. All the parts fit well and it builds very true. I added some glue in critical areas as usual, but nothing excessive here either. The paint is a wonderful match to the nice covering. All (pinned) hinges were pre-installed and looked good plus felt strong, even the split flaps are installed and hinged. Sweet. BTW, those flaps are very affective. The plane is stable and a joy to fly guys. A war bird you can really relax and have some fun with, and the gear is as user friendly as it gets. I didn't install the gear doors. Some of the AT6s didn't have them anyway.

What I didn't like is the stupid looking pilot they supply (I used a more realistic one and hand painted him), the lack of even a basic instrument panel in decal form, and one of the holes in the split flaps wasn't lined up perfectly. This didn't seem to affect anything in flight.

The canopy comes pre-drilled for screws (and BTW so does the cowl), which I don't usually use, but this time I'm glad to, because I intend to take it back off and work some more on detailing the cockpit.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 PM
mmmyers

Thanks, MerlinFan and Ram3500, I will give them a chance.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:26 PM
mmmyers

Those World Models pre-installed hinges remind me of my introduction to the hobby 2-1/2 yrs ago. I was new to the area, always wanted to try, etc. I get the name of the man who owns the local flying field, call him and talk to him for awhile, tell him I have no experience at all, etc. Finally he says why don't you come out tomorrow, the fellow I have in mind to be your instructor is going to maiden a brand-new plane, you can see how it's done. My first day! I'm excited; I show up and meet the owner and am introduced to "Joe," he'll be my flight instructor. They tell me just watch and don't get in the way, you'll see how we test fly a new plane. "Joe" has a spiffy new World Models Corsair. He plans to race it. They go on about how nice an ARF it is, quality built, flies well, less work, etc. They explain how the engine is already run in, just a few final checks and it will fly. Joe does a range check, control surface directions, etc, fires it up and takes off. After a few slow circles around the field, "Joe" firewalls the throttle and does a couple of vertical pylon turns. I'm thinking, wow, that's cool. Will I ever be able to do that? On the second turn, something is seen to flutter from the rear of the plane, and it starts to wobble badly. Oh @#%$&#!!! The owner begins to shout advice, but "Joe" only has a second or two before the Corsair spins and spirals into a huge tree trunk about forty feet off the ground, a hundred yds away. The impact was impressive. "Joe" turns the air blue and he and the owner head off to pick up the pieces. I'm thinking, this guy's gonna teach me to fly??? Serious second thoughts. Another club member turns to me and says, "They're gonna be gone for awhile, why don't you come to my house and you can work with the simulator." Later the report was that the rudder and part of the elevator had let go. As far as we know, the retracts and receiver are still in the tree. We all had a good laugh about that just today at breakfast after our early electric session. They say they didn't think I'd ever be back. I guess the point of all my rambling, is, if it happens to this plane, it'll be my own fault!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 PM
mmmyers

Geez, fellas....I'm sorry, never meant to kill the thread...............
Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: mmmyers

Geez, fellas....I'm sorry, never meant to kill the thread...............
Well, I can say now, this is one tough bird. My brother botched a landing, tip stalled, and cartwheeled, and all it did was break a wing tip!!!! It didn't even damage the wing saddle or mounts. Amazing. He did the same thing to his Kit Built Corsair earlier that day (broke both outboard wing sections off and the left stab). I see a pattern developing here.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM
maddieone
My Feedback: (2)

Ok, ok, I know that this thread concerns the WM AT6 but I am also looking at the new Top Flite AT6 ARF. Has anyone bought, flown or have anything to do with the TF Texan? Would like to hear from someone before I make my final decision. Thanks
Old 11-28-2008, 11:57 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone electrify this bird yet? If so, which motor/prop combo are you using? I don't want to go glow, so it is either electric or the new Saito FG20.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 AM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: dubd

Anyone electrify this bird yet? If so, which motor/prop combo are you using? I don't want to go glow, so it is either electric or the new Saito FG20.
I haven't seen an electric one yet, but IMO, electric is a better fit for this one than Gas. One of the 90 size equivalent motors would do nicely. She is light enough to consider going electric.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I considered going electric, but I didn't think I could get the speed I would want and keep the weight down, so I ended up going glow. I originally ordered a Saito FG-20 for this plane, but it was delayed again, so I went with a OS FS-120 III. This is the first glow engine I've owned in 3 years! Aside from the mess of glow, I couldn't be happier with this combo. I didn't have to add any additional weight and the plane is fast and stable! Make sure you have enough airspeed when you rotate of the plane will hop like it did in the RCU review video.