Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

phoenix models yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

phoenix models yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Brainiax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: phoenix models yak 54

There are no negatives with this plane, its really that simple. It builds great, flies great and will truly become one of your favorites for sure. I have mine charging now for tomorrow along with my Gene Soucy Extra. Its a regular flyer now and some of my other planes wil hang around more because of it...Oh well, everyone as their favorites....
Old 10-10-2008, 10:32 PM
heffingtond

ORIGINAL: Brainiax

There are no negatives with this plane, its really that simple. It builds great, flies great and will truly become one of your favorites for sure. I have mine charging now for tomorrow along with my Gene Soucy Extra. Its a regular flyer now and some of my other planes wil hang around more because of it...Oh well, everyone as their favorites....
I believe it. It is easy-building so far. Even though I don't have the money right now, I think I'm going to get a four stroke for this plane. Maybe not a .91, but at least a .52.

It is most definitely the sharpest looking plane I have!

I'm not even charging my planes tonight. My club has a warbird event this weekend, so probably no chance to fly (since I don't have a warbird). Off Monday though.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:33 AM
moparcolt
My Feedback: (2)

sonds like I may need to try one of these, The others I was considering were the aero works edge but it seems like everyone is putting much larger engines in that one it is more like a 60 size I think.

Chris
Old 10-11-2008, 12:47 PM
moparcolt

Do you have some more pictures, of the engine bay and other parts?

I couldn't take it anymore I ordered one from Tower today!

Chris
Old 10-11-2008, 07:16 PM
heffingtond

The engine mounts with the head pointed at about 220 deg. This plane has been really easy to build so far. The ONLY thing I can see that you might consider changing is the engine mount. It is one of the typical Phoenix nylon engine mounts. You may stress it a little with a Saito 72.

You won't be sorry; this is a really nice model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67941.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1049924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78807.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1049925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91646.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1049926  
Old 10-11-2008, 08:57 PM
moparcolt

I have mounts I can use, do you think the fuel tank is big enough? It looks very much like how most of the 50 cc planes are built. I cant wait, thanks for the pictures I really appreciate it. I have been looking for a model like this for a while.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:45 PM
heffingtond

It actually has a huge fuel tank (for a .40 size model). 16 oz!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:22 PM
moparcolt

Mine arrived from Tower Hobbies today, Looks nice in the box. I can't wait to get started on it!

Chris
Old 10-16-2008, 10:24 PM
moparcolt

I got the aileron servos mounted and linkages done and the tail feathers epoxied onto the tail, I also temporarily mounted the engine to see how it is going to work out, seems OK! I like the hardware so far, although I am not sure about the two piece landing gear, seems like it should be 1 piece and the motor mount looks kind of cheap! but we will see how it holds up.

Chris
Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 PM
moparcolt

how did you run your 4-stroke throttle linkages? mine is on the opposite side from a 2-stroke, is anything in the way? does anyone have a picture?

Chris
Old 10-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Brainiax

Use steel wire cable instead of solid pushrod. I had the same problem but since I've been using the flexible cable:[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK056]use this stuff forever[/link]
going around corners and weird angles doesn't matter. Be creative, you'll be fine.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:56 PM
heffingtond

I did the maiden on mine today. It flies great! A gusty crosswind helped me scratch the covering on one wing tip and break a prop though. The ailerons and elevator look pretty tame, but it is actually very snappy. This little plane gets lots of attention on the flight line. I ended up putting in a used .46 2 stroke (about all the budget will allow right now). Maybe I can replace it soon. It is a blast to fly, even at that. Loops, rolls, and inverted flight are very precise and elegant-looking.

Btw, does anyone have a suggested technique for installing the cowling so the screws aren't constantly pulling the balsa loose from the fuse? There's got to be a better way than what I am doing.

David.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 AM
moparcolt

you need to get them into the side of the firewall, I marked where the back fo the cowl is on the covering on the sides of the fuse and then measured foreward to just behind the front edge of the firewall and then put the holes in the cowl right there so tey have more meat to bight into. you could also , after you run the screws in the holes the first time put some thin CA in the holes to harden the wood to make it more difficult to pull out.

Or you could glue some hardwood blocks to the firewall and mount the cowl to those.

Chris
Old 10-19-2008, 12:30 PM
moparcolt

David (Heffingtond) how did it fly? how are the slow speed characteristics, takeoff, landing? really interrested in what you thought of it!

Chris
Old 10-19-2008, 02:00 PM
heffingtond

ORIGINAL: moparcolt

you need to get them into the side of the firewall, I marked where the back fo the cowl is on the covering on the sides of the fuse and then measured foreward to just behind the front edge of the firewall and then put the holes in the cowl right there so tey have more meat to bight into. you could also , after you run the screws in the holes the first time put some thin CA in the holes to harden the wood to make it more difficult to pull out.

Or you could glue some hardwood blocks to the firewall and mount the cowl to those.

Chris
Ok, my first thought is 'Why didn't I think of that!?!' That's exactly what I need to do. Thanks!

The takeoffs are really easy. I didn't set any exponentials or D/R settings on the rudder. Cosequently, I was a little squirrelly on the first couple of take offs since the rudder is so large. Once you learn to be easy-on-the-input it is fine. You may want to at least set the exponentials to like -30% on the rudder. I believe I will before the next flight. I would suggest no D/R setting on the rudder so you can taxi easily on high or low setting.

Landings are really easy as well. Don't over flare and it floats in like a dream. You won't believe how snappy and fun the thing is. Low, inverted passes are just about as easy as flying right side up. Till yesterday, my 90 size Extra was my favorite flyer; I believe the Yak beats it out though. Let me know what you think when you get there.

David.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:57 PM
moparcolt

sounds great, I can't wait. I got the motor mounted the cowl fitted and the tail wheel and landing gear on, I still need to mount the tank and install the electonics and I will be ready to go. Did you use the stock engine mount? or get a different one?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM
heffingtond

I am using the stock mount right now since I have a .46 on it. When I switch out to a .70 four stroke? I will most likely put a stronger one on.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:22 PM
moparcolt

I just finished mine, I ran it a couple of times, got the motor all tuned up, it is running great. Saito .72 on 20% nitro with a 13x6 MAS prop, and an aluminum spinner. I used mostly Jr 537 servos except for a Hitek 55 micro servo for the throttle, and a 1200ma NIMH 4 cell battery to shave a little weight. I took some pictures I will post later,(my battery in my camera went dead just as I was finishing up)

I was a little worried about the stock motor mount but it really seems OK when the motor is running. I am not sure when I will get to fly her but I can't wait!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 PM
moparcolt

here are a few pics to show some details.

this arf comes with some really high quality hardware, everything pictured came with the plane!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Brainiax

Pilot looks like Harry Potter.........mine does to..........
Old 10-26-2008, 09:44 AM
heffingtond

The aluminum spinner was a great move. I've already had to replace my nylon spinner because I over-tightened it and it flew off while running.

Let me know how it performs with the .72!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:25 PM
moparcolt

I will keep you informed! I had the aluminum spinner on this engine when it was in My 40 size super decathalon,since I heard that people had been having trouble with the stock sponner and I had this one already on the motor it was really the only choice. and it looks great with the other aluminum hardware as well.

Chris
Old 10-27-2008, 09:14 AM
million-air

Can anybody tell me if the phoenix su-31 has the same capabilities and quality as the yak does? Throws look to small to be 3d capable. Honestly I think the sukhoi looks better but they are still both beautifull. As long as it performs like a great sports plane I am happy. Somebody post a video.

What is the best way to cut through fiberglass cowling? It seems like everytime I do it the fiberglass paint cracks and such. I have a giles 202 from cmp and the paint was beautifull but I screwed up with the cowling. Something I must not be doing right. And also, could give me a tip on how to put an easy fueling system that allows me to cut less holes in the cowling for a cleaner more aerodynamic look.
on a side note..the hardware looks great. I dont see no plastic.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
moparcolt

I would say it is not a 3D plane, because the surfaces are too small, but it should be very aerobatic. I trim my fiberglass by first drilling a hole in it with a stepped drill bit (uni-bit) and then using a dremmel tool with a sanding drum on it to get the right size and contours of the hole I am making. It is dusty but easy on the paint.

I haven't seen the Sukhoi up close yet.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 PM
million-air

ORIGINAL: moparcolt

I would say it is not a 3D plane, because the surfaces are too small, but it should be very aerobatic. I trim my fiberglass by first drilling a hole in it with a stepped drill bit (uni-bit) and then using a dremmel tool with a sanding drum on it to get the right size and contours of the hole I am making. It is dusty but easy on the paint.

I haven't seen the Sukhoi up close yet.
Thanks bud, would you recomend using a razor blade for larger holes so I can fit a magnum .70 cleanly? How bout an easy fuel system? Any pics to help me out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.