Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

phoenix models yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

phoenix models yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
moparcolt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: phoenix models yak 54

I wouldn't use a razor blade the dremmel with the sanding drum wurks well that is what I used to make the hole for my Saito .72. I started with about a 3/4" hole and opened it up from there. didn't take long just a few minutes. I just run an extra line from the 3rd vent line in the stopper in the tank and run the hose out the bottom of the plane and put a small screw in it, I remove the screw to fill it up and put it back in when I am done.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 PM
million-air

Thanks moparcolt, a lot simpler than I thought...sometimes less is more. Tell me about the stock wheels? good enough for a semi-rough grassway?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:43 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: moparcolt

I will keep you informed! I had the aluminum spinner on this engine when it was in My 40 size super decathalon,since I heard that people had been having trouble with the stock sponner and I had this one already on the motor it was really the only choice. and it looks great with the other aluminum hardware as well.

Chris
wow, i cant hardly believe the plane comes with first rate hardware like that. i just found my next plane thanks !
Old 10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
heffingtond

Check this out. Don't believe it's real for a plethora of reasons, but pretty cool none the less...

http://www.chilloutzone.de/files/08102703.html

Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 PM
moparcolt

I saw that yesterday! by far the coolest thing I have ever seen a pilot do!!!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 AM
million-air

[quote]ORIGINAL: heffingtond

Check this out. Don't believe it's real for a plethora of reasons, but pretty cool none the less...

http://www.chilloutzone.de/files/08102703.html

[/quote
That was fake...obviously. Good video though it had me going until the plane landed and I saw the animated prop stop.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:39 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: SigMan

I will keep you informed! I had the aluminum spinner on this engine when it was in My 40 size super decathalon,since I heard that people had been having trouble with the stock sponner and I had this one already on the motor it was really the only choice. and it looks great with the other aluminum hardware as well.

Chris
wow, i cant hardly believe the plane comes with first rate hardware like that. i just found my next plane thanks !
Sigman:
Which engine are you thinking to fit in it?
Old 10-31-2008, 04:45 PM
SigMan

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: SigMan

Chris
Sigman:
Which engine are you thinking to fit in it?
82 saito would be perfeccccccto ! , but i have to admit 55 AX would be an excellent choice also. i have heard some negative stuff about Phonex Models quality, but i am ready to pull the trigger on this one !
Old 10-31-2008, 05:03 PM
SigMan

if you are concernd about Phonex Models quality, check out this review !http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=334
Old 11-02-2008, 04:23 PM
moparcolt

I maidened mine today, It was flying great , pleanty of power made a few circles of the field to get her trimmed out. everything was good and then the elevator became unresponsive and she went in pretty hard, bent the wing tube and destroyed the front of the fuse. Traced it back to that 3-hole set screw connector. the set screw that went to the rod from the servo loosened up and the rod was sliding in the connector. I think I would rethink using that again. I am going to order another one but I am going to change that setup somehow. Saito 72 with a 13X6 Kseries MAS prop was more than enough power. would just about fly straight up out of my hands when we were checking to see that the motor was drawing fuel properly.

I can't wait to get another one, very nice bird.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
heffingtond

I flew mine again today and very nearly lost it as well. I switched to high rates for the first time today (everything 100%) and was hot dogging way more that I should have been and went into a cedar tree. I was extremelty lucky and sustained very little damage. I have never seen a plane go in the way mine did and come out in one piece. One onlooker described it as seen in cartoons; the tree limb swayed WAY out, and returned to its original position way up high in the tree. I think what little damage received occurred as a result of removing the plane from the tree.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I have been leary of that tandam block as well, but so far it has held up. I may rethink the elevator linkage after hearing about yours.

David.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 AM
moparcolt

I have some extra parts now do you need anything?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM
heffingtond

I'll inspect it a little closer before I give a difinitive answer on that. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 PM
SigMan

ORIGINAL: Brainiax

Phoenix models, Blackhorse and Seagull are basically the same. they are good models and fly well. The World Models is an offshoot too but tend to have better hardware and a few more bells and whistles than the above mentioned. Sure wish someone would post about the Yak though.
i believe that Phoenix models, Blackhorse and Seagull are all made in Vietnam and have a very good rep for high quality.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
moparcolt

I think the quality of the model is great,but that one piece of hardware is sketchy, too many parts to accomplish such a simple thing, there are 3 set screws and 3 rods to actuate the elevator. I have seen much better and easier ways to do it that are more bullet proof. That Domino connector scared me from the first time I saw it and I should have known better than to use it. I had a Thunder Tiger decathalon with a two piece rudder that used a wooden dowel with two rodds attached to one end and one rod attached to the other end, it is lighter simpler and les likely to fail like that.

I E-mailed thier tech support dept. and they said to send back the plane and a copy of the receipt with a letter describing what happened and they would try to rectify the situation. Maybe they will make good on this one. Has anyone done this before? any good results? I would think a reputable company would try to make it right if part of their hardware package failed and caused the loss of an aircraft.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 AM
million-air

Well it all depends on whoever sold it to you. I have bought several phoenix products from towerhobbies and their service is great. If you need replacement part for whatever reason they will get you one without even asking for pictures unless it is the whole plane. You could easily take advantage of them if you wanted to (I dont know how they can do that).

I bought the sukhoi and giles from them and their quality is superb. It seems that phoenix have been reading threads because all of the common problems have been fixed in their new models. They have strengthened the main gear block which tore easily on a hard landing, replaced wooden pushrods with regular pushrods with thick plastic housings to channel them to the exit slots (already istalled including a Y set up for elevator and an extra exit slot if you chose to opt for pull pull, replaced the hardwood firewall with ply, and reinforced the hinges to all control surfaces. Mine even has excess epoxy lining the hinges. Ultracote is as tight as bark on a tree. I mean its almost like stealing a great arf with the price. But as mentioned above, they are made in vietnam...so im guessing thats why there cheap.

There is a guy at my field with the Yak-54. Flies as great as it looks. cool
Old 11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
moparcolt

I did get mine from Tower Hobbies. I sent them the remains of the plane today with a copy of the receipt and a letter describing what happened, we'll see what happens. I would buy another even if they didn't replace it, I love that plane. I may even get one of their other models. I have a Saito 56 on the shelf what would it work well in?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 PM
heffingtond

Million-aire
Which do you like better? The Sukhoi or Giles? What kind of engines to you have on them?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:12 PM
moparcolt

I had the same question I am considering the giles or the sukhoi as well!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:17 AM
million-air

Marcopolt/Heffington-

Easiest to fly?...deffinatly the giles. The sukhoi is great but it can be tricky in slow flight and will snap on you if you dont notice the wing drop and speed up immediatly. It also lands hot but if you choose a flapperon mixing like I did then it slows down considerably and will even harrier lands itself in headwind with a big power plant . But then again this is not a begginer plane (maybe a second or third). I am using Magnum .70 on both of these beasts and it is fantastic (unlimited vertical and hover). The sukhoi also can do "things in smaller spaces." The giles just has a different airframe that flies similar to a cap or extra 330. Slow flight and nice easy landings just to name a few. They both fly as great as they look so I guess this is one of those blond/brunette decisions. As I mentioned above the problems have been solved on these newer models towerhobbies have been providing. Both my arf's came with dubro metal hinges and hardware just like the yak so quality is great. On a final note these planes dont fly as nice if you chose to use basic radio gear wihtout expo and computer features (A few people have found out the hard way on these other threads). I bought Futaba 4EXA for $150 which is a great setup for these planes.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:47 PM
heffingtond

I like the look of the giles as well. I think I might have to try one. I have also been looking at the Magnum 70; seems like a better value than a comparable OS!
Old 11-08-2008, 12:03 AM
heffingtond

Chris-
Regarding the domino... whatever. I ran one solid pushrod from the servo, through the block, and to the elevator. The other side of the elevator is hooked to the block. That way you are guaranteed at least one side of the elevator will have a direct-connect to the servo. This also eliminates one of the connections (and possible point of failure). Note in the picture that you may need to alter the ply pushrod support directly behind the block to eliminate binding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70984.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1067605  
Old 11-08-2008, 06:32 AM
million-air

ORIGINAL: heffingtond

I like the look of the giles as well. I think I might have to try one. I have also been looking at the Magnum 70; seems like a better value than a comparable OS!
The magnum is a little heavier than the O.S. but then again you have that power to weight ratio that everyone craves. I spin a 13X6 on mine and the sound...ooo that sound. The tank that came with mine were 8oz so I opted for 10oz.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 AM
moparcolt

heffingtond, that is a really good Idea with the domino connector, One of the guys at our field suggested using a wheel collar to accomplish the same thing, that should help out a lot at least you will always have half the elevator!!

Chris
Old 11-08-2008, 09:38 AM
heffingtond

ORIGINAL: million-air

ORIGINAL: heffingtond

The magnum is a little heavier than the O.S. but then again you have that power to weight ratio that everyone craves. I spin a 13X6 on mine and the sound...ooo that sound. The tank that came with mine were 8oz so I opted for 10oz.
I had to put some lead in the nose of my Yak anyway, so the extra weight might as well be a heavier engine! I just looked on Tower; the price of the Magnum 70 is $180. If I got the engine AND a Giles, I could use the coupon and get $30 off! That's my justification and I'm sticking to it.

Interersting point with the Yak - it came with a 16 oz tank. You can fly long time with a .46 2 stroke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.