Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hinges ca or not to ca..

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hinges ca or not to ca..

Old 02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Wingspam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinges ca or not to ca..

What type of hinge would be best for a plane with 72" wingspan?
It will either be powered with an Os 160 or a G38 or something in that range.
If the plane makes a difference it is a Cmp Katana. I plan on using 133 oz torque servos on all surfaces except rudder and that will be around 200 or so.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hinges ca or not to ca..

If using a spark-ignition (gas) engine, I would stay away from CA hinges and use some kind of pinned hinge (Robart hinge points, etc.).

Otherwise, I've had GREAT success with CA hinges. On larger planes such as the one you are consiering, I always cut the hinges larger than recommended (say, for example, make the hinges 1" x 1" or 1" x 1-1/4" instead of 1" x 3/4" ).

Tim
Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Checklst

You need to be careful with your hinge selection....... it would not bother me to use ca hinges on a 72' gas but it's up to you do the proper hinge check every time you fly...........I do this hinge check every time at home in my plane prep area. I like(and use) Robarts but you need to be careful on the install on a ARF......some ARF's trailing edge(wing spar) use vary small(thickness) stock.......If you look at how a robart is constructed you will notice the holding rings, stop way before the hinge pivot.............in some ARF wings, the only part glued would have been the smooth part of the robart hinge(the glue rings would be all the way through the the spar)....................These hinges were designed to have you add glue blocks on the wing spar during construction so all the holding rings are buried in the wood for safe holding power.

I just assembled a light weight ARF that robarts would have made it un safe to fly unless I wanted to cut the covering and add the glue blocks.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The amount of control travel is really the determining factor. If you are planning on doing a lot of 3D with 45 degrees of travel and constant surface movement, CA hinges will not hold up. If you are sport flying that Katana using normal control throws and minimal surface movement, the CA hinges will last forever.

Jim
Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wingspam,
I have also found that the (Blue) Radio South 1/4 scale hinges are superior to all others on the market. I have been useing them for years with absoulutly no problems. I throw all the CA hinges in the garbage that come with ARF's. The GP hinges are about the worst I have seen. They delaminate very easy.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I had this plane and used H9 CA hinges.I plowed this one into hard soil,everything but the hinges broke...
Those servos are plenty.I had mine with regular sport JRs and a Hitech 645 on rudder.The 160 is tons and nearly excessive power.
Dont use a gasser,the Katana will be overweight,without question.Seal the gaps.The Katana is an honest clean flier,but somewhat limited in the 3D category,but will try to please and is enjoyable.
Good luck with her.
I had an OS 120 Surpass,plenty for scale aerobatics,a Saito 150 or 180 or YS 140 or OS 120-140-160 2 stroke will do well for performance aerobatics some 3D
A G38 or other 40cc gasoline will burden it to the point where the fun is short lived.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58166.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	870350  
Old 02-05-2008, 02:25 AM
redjet
My Feedback: (6)

I get a very bad physical reaction to CA glues and have had to fine another source to glue CA hinges. Consequently, I have been using the Radio South 1/4 scale hinges and gluing them in place with Quick Cure Gorilla Glue. As an example, I install them in the ailerons and let them dry (about 10 minutes). I wet the hinge slot by using a hinge that came with the kit and work some moisture in the slot. Put the glue on both sides - half of the hinge and slip it into the hinge slot. Yes, it does foam a little but it comes right off with a little paint thinner. Then install the ailerons in the wing using the same method. I don't think they will ever come loose.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Fastsky

Plastic hinges with metel pin and Hinge glue!!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:04 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

What type of hinge would be best for a plane with 72" wingspan?
It will either be powered with an Os 160 or a G38 or something in that range.
If the plane makes a difference it is a Cmp Katana. I plan on using 133 oz torque servos on all surfaces except rudder and that will be around 200 or so.
Is yours the older version?

The newer ones come with PIN hinges, not CA type hinges.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used them for years on several different types of airplanes and I
have never seen a Radio South blue CA hinge fail.

tommy s