Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

DP planes Extra or Edge

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

DP planes Extra or Edge

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DP planes Extra or Edge

What are the flying qualities of the Dave Patrick Edge and Extra 300?
Old 05-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

The Extra is a great flyer, it feels big. However, I NEVER liked the way it went together at the field, particularly the crappy canopy on the early ones. I sold mine.

I intend to buy the new DP Edge
Old 05-04-2003, 08:45 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i fly the extra and i used the old wing method of installing a dowel into the wing so i screw a 6-32 bolt from the bottom of the wing into the wing tube. I never had to take off the canopy with this method. i think on the newer kits he has chance the way the canopy is attached so this should not be an issue. i love the way mine flies it will fly knife edge so very slow like a bigger than the 1/4 planes it flies very well comparing it to a 40% radiocraft extra that i also fly, henceforth it flies very much like a bigger bird than it 1/4 scale size. It does 3d very well and then IMAC, i can't find any faults in mine which is running a 3.2 Brison on a 22 x 8 Menz prop......

www.krayzc.netfirms.com
Old 05-04-2003, 10:21 PM
FlyHard

Default DP Extra

I agree with krayzc. It's a very nice plane to fly. I don't know anything in it's size range to compare it to. I put on the wings the way DP suggested. I use a long screw driver ( a crushed brass tube) and the screws are trapped in place. I don't need to take off the canopy to install the wings. I highly recommend the plane. Keep it light and don't over power.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Pro3D

Default How do they fly.

What engine's are you guys using, servo's any build problems. Does the Extra or the Edge excell at a specific type of flying ie. pattern type (smooth) or 3d type of flying.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:53 AM
krayzc-RCU

DP Extra:

Brison 3.2
2-5625 Hitec Elevator 1/2's
3-8411 JR Rudder/Ailerons
1-615 Hitec Throttle
2700NMHI 6v receiver 1650 NMHi 4.8 motor

Dave Floats very nicely it will stall if you get it to slow comparing to my edge the edge is very hard to stall for the IMAC 2 trun spin. DP has a very strong effective rudder knife edge looping find of rudder. Rolling moves very stables (rolling elevator/harriers, smooth blenders that go very flat, very stable in the T-rolls. Smooth on 2/4/6/8 point rolls very little mixing needed for roll coupling, about a-8-10 mix on rudder to elevator mixing typical for xtras type of mixing.

I can't comment on the DP EDge as i only have the AeroWorks 29% Edge.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Pro3D

Default Fying

Thanks for the replies. There must be more out there come on share your flying experience's with these planes.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Cheech

I will KNOW the differences soon. After a year of flying it, I sold my DP Extra a few weeks ago. I ordered the DP Edge yesterday . Chief has them in stock and hopefully I'll have it by early next week. It will be Moki powered.

-Cheech
Old 05-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

I have a DP 330 with approx. 15 flights so far & this is the best big aerobatic I have owned to date,I cant say anything bad about it.I also have a GP PW 300 & the 330 still flies better in every way,it crawls when landing & very very easy to take off.It does perfect knife edges the whole length of the field with hardly any input and rolls very fast & very axial as well .I have a Saito 180 in mine & is plenty of power in my opinion -there will no worries about aileron flutter or stressing the air frame apart.I am not into the hover & 3D thing much but I have tried the 330 out & it has enough power still to execute them successfully.I am currently working on a way to be able to open/hinge the canopy to one side like the full scale version hence making wing attachment uneventful cause that is my only complaint about this plane .I do not like the idea personally of wing retention with dowells/wing bolts thru the wingtube

Steve
Old 05-09-2003, 11:06 AM
krayzc-RCU

check out my site under projects and i show some slideshows of how i do mine.

www.krayzc.netfirms.com
Old 05-09-2003, 10:17 PM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

I've got a DP Edge w/ a Brison 2.4 gas w/ 20x8 prop, Futaba 9252 digitals, and it weighs in at 14 lbs even. The plane needs to be balanced almost an inch forward of the recommended CG to make it flyable. Once you do this, it is a very docile plane. Mine floats to a walking pace for landing and is rock solid stable in flight. Once you increase the throws on the control surfaces and crank in the expo, it will do just about anything you want. I'm still fine tuning the balance and fuel tank location in mine, but already it is a real joy to fly in any mode of flight. The 2.4 will allow it to hover at less than 1/2 throttle and climb vertically at just over 1/2 throttle. You need to have good throttle and speed management with this airplane as its Vne is fairly low due to the oversize control surfaces, but as long as you keep things at a conservative pace, it is a great plane. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I've got a few pictures of my planes in the early stages of construction in my gallery.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Cheech

I'e had the Extra and I just got the Patrick Edge. Super plane. Eager to get started putting it together. The finish is gorgeous. I ordered from Chief Aircraft on Tuesday and it showed up today (Friday). No shipping and no taxes.

http://www.devino.org/mark/airplanep...ge-arrives.jpg
Old 10-07-2003, 12:22 PM
krayzc-RCU

Default RE: DP planes Extra or Edge

rongreg13:
u have any pics of the deal?
Old 10-07-2003, 02:32 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm building an Extra right now. The canopy is tray style with four 4-40 screws and two dowels. Pretty straight forward.

It ended up heavier than I was hoping. Estimates: 14 lb with OS1.60FX, 14.5 lb with Moki 1.8, 15.5 lb with DA50. It seems like the Edge's are coming in a tad lighter. Could be luck of the draw too.

I went for the Extra mainly because I like a clean snap entry. Seems like I hear a lot of talk about vague snaps with Edge's. There are still more Extra's being flown in my local area. Edge's are a close second.

As far as I can tell from DP Edge's in my club, the construction details are almost identical.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are great - choose whatever looks better to you.